Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2023, 06:28 AM   #15
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
I agree that '06-'09/'10 Z06's had issues, but I haven't seen anything about '14-'15 Z/28's. Find me some concrete info about a Z/28 that was torn down and had valve issues. My heads were sent out this morning.

I would be FLOORED if your valve guides were in spec.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-01-2023 at 06:52 PM.
FASTFATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:43 AM   #16
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
I didn’t keep the dial indicator #s on mine but at 20k normal driving (was afraid to get stupid until I pulled the heads) most of my intakes were off spec . Exhaust were all good . Maybe there are some good batches of heads that slipped thru IDK but I didn’t get a pair
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:47 AM   #17
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
PS. I kept my old heads .Have them wrapped up and stored inside. Will check clearance on the ones I bought in a couple more thousand miles. By then I’ll have 10k on them
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:07 AM   #18
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
This was gm's response
Attached Images

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #19
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
I didn't get it on video...but:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419077

#918 got a replacment motor all under warranty @ 958 miles.

Run the Carfax. It is there.

Not sure what caused the issue but the #6 Piston was in the Intake Manifold. GM would not allow us to tear into the motor. And it was shipped back.
I remember your original post. Your motor wasn't broke in yet at 958 miles, but it did get broken at 6800 rpm. I listened to GM and broke mine in properly before running it like I Stole it. NO problems here, yet and I do run it hard just about every outing. You're lucky having the dealer relationship you do have though. Do you still own it?
Old 03-01-2023, 12:42 PM   #20
Fast.Freddie
2015 Z/28 #48

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #48
There are too man stories and opinions out there on this topic but all I know is this. My car is a 15, #48. I bought it from a form member (who didn't know he wanted to sell it until I started bugging him but Jon since bought another) who is one of the most meticulous guys I ever met. He was the second owner of the car purchasing it with low miles from a man who he claims did not run the car hard. Jon did not abuse this car and would go as far as far as sending oil samples out for testing which always came back clean. At 13K I decided I didn't want to take any chances and more importantly wanted more out of the car. Before the upgrades were performed we strapped the car to the dyno for a baseline number. Car made 470.5 / 449 TQ never missing a beat. I went with the AHP package 4 head exchange program. After I sent my OE heads back as cores AHP claimed there was a bent valve. The question is was this accurate or just a way of allowing them to give me less for the cores ?? Shamefully I never asked for proof as the whole buying experience was rather poor. If their claim was accurate how long before significant damage would have occurred? All I will say is this... I feel the money for the upgrades was well spent. The additional HP gains really changed the driving experience and took the car to another level as well as giving me piece of mind.
Fast.Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:29 PM   #21
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
This was gm's response
Believe that if you want, I remember GM saying for YEARS to Z06 owners "there is no issue with these engines." Then they came out with a TSB and a "wiggle test" procedure afterwards.

Class action lawsuits aren't filed for imaginary blown up engines.

The info on this problem is very easy to find on Corvette forum, you guys can choose to stick your head in the sand and gamble.....up to you.

It won't change the fact that this issue is as real as the sun rising tomorrow and bills being in the mailbox.

Keep in mind a decent mile used LS7 is $15,000. It's not like blowing up an LS1.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #22
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
I remember your original post. Your motor wasn't broke in yet at 958 miles, but it did get broken at 6800 rpm. I listened to GM and broke mine in properly before running it like I Stole it. NO problems here, yet and I do run it hard just about every outing. You're lucky having the dealer relationship you do have though. Do you still own it?
Review post 42 in that thread please, head came off a valve which has zero to do with "break in" miles.

If you watch the last video I posted the exact same thing happened in that Z06 failure.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:59 PM   #23
Z28000

Drives: 2015 Chevy Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
PS. I kept my old heads .Have them wrapped up and stored inside. Will check clearance on the ones I bought in a couple more thousand miles. By then I’ll have 10k on them
What kind of new heads did you go with ? If you don’t mind me asking
2015 Z28 #572 BLACK NO AC
Z28000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:14 PM   #24
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
Review post 42 in that thread please, head came off a valve which has zero to do with "break in" miles.

If you watch the last video I posted the exact same thing happened in that Z06 failure.
You notice how others actually are productive and explain what mods or heads they went with on their Z28. Not sure what your agenda is on the Z28 forum other than to keep trashing the LS7 and Z28, of which you don’t own. If you’d like to be productive then get a group discount with katech for the LS7 members. Otherwise go take your bum knee and play in your own ZL1 forum and discuss your crap shocks and trash superchargers. Oh, wait. I own a ZL1 as well so I know both cars very well. But my ZL1 top comes down and I’m sure you’ve got trash talk on that as well. But I’ll take my Z28 and drive it until it blows up and put a $25k motor in it and then drive it some more.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:29 AM   #25
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
You notice how others actually are productive and explain what mods or heads they went with on their Z28. Not sure what your agenda is on the Z28 forum other than to keep trashing the LS7 and Z28, of which you don’t own. If you’d like to be productive then get a group discount with katech for the LS7 members. Otherwise go take your bum knee and play in your own ZL1 forum and discuss your crap shocks and trash superchargers. Oh, wait. I own a ZL1 as well so I know both cars very well. But my ZL1 top comes down and I’m sure you’ve got trash talk on that as well. But I’ll take my Z28 and drive it until it blows up and put a $25k motor in it and then drive it some more.
The above post belongs on Twitter. You actually did a search on me because you are so butthurt.....amazing.

The Z28 is a car no one wanted and it is still this way from it's lack of monetary appreciation, the ZL1's of the same years have held their value as good or better than the Z28 even with their "trash shocks and superchargers" and there were thousands more built.

Owners who choose to ignore the LS7's issues because it is sitting in a Camaro however is my focus. The LS7 is going to have issues, I did the research, I know why the heads of valves pop off.

You pop the engine and "just buy another $25K engine" you just dropped the cars value by 30% on top of spending $25K so then it truly is worth nothing along with that engine having the same issues as the one that originally popped. Don't forget, when it pops it contaminates the oil coolers and the entire dry sump system so all that needs to be replaced also.

Most of these cars were purchased to gain value later on, not to drive and beat on.

My message is pretty simple, get the heads fixed.

But run on sentences.....
Old 03-02-2023, 03:37 AM   #26
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
The Z28 is a car no one wanted and it is still this way from it's lack of monetary appreciation, the ZL1's of the same years have held their value as good or better than the Z28 even with their "trash shocks and superchargers" and there were thousands more built.
Anyone else think this guy should just **** off?

What are you bringing to the party here other than insults and Z06 failures? Why are you even posting?
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:05 AM   #27
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
[QUOTE=FASTFATBOY;11288152]The above post belongs on Twitter. You actually did a search on me because you are so butthurt.....amazing.

Owners who choose to ignore the LS7's issues because it is sitting in a Camaro however is my focus. The LS7 is going to have issues, I did the research, I know why the heads of valves pop off.

You pop the engine and "just buy another $25K engine" you just dropped the cars value by 30% on top of spending $25K so then it truly is worth nothing along with that engine having the same issues as the one that originally popped. Don't forget, when it pops it contaminates the oil coolers and the entire dry sump system so all that needs to be replaced also.

Most of these cars were purchased to gain value later on, not to drive and beat on.

My message is pretty simple, get the heads fixed.

But run on sentences.....[/QUOTE

Awful post I made, true. You speak many truths as I’ve previously posted. I’ve been on this forum for many years helping and being helped by members. You, my friend are getting annoying. Every LS7 owner knew before the Z28 came out what and why the problems are. I hate my Z28 so let’s just turn every Z28 thread into a hate raging one. One post stating you chose not to buy one because of xyz would suffice. Responding to members posts stating why their car sucks is getting annoying but maybe constructive criticism about avenues to fix heads or other issues and where to go is more in line with what this forum was intended for.

FYI: I can only speak for myself but I bought every car and my Z28 for enjoyment and I don’t care what my kids get for them once I’m gone.

Another awful post from me:
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:10 AM   #28
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
He's 100% wrong on the value. Not sure how 5th gen ZL1's hold their value but Z/28's fall. I paid $45k for mine. I'm certain I could get $55k for it. There's 20 or so on cargurus.com right now ranging from 50-75+. I agree that most guys bought them as collector cars, but not me. I drive the shit out of mine. 7 championships, and roughly 50 class wins out of 85 races. There's no way I would have done that with a 4200lb ZL1.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote