The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
TimboSlice619

Drives: 2014 2LT LBT Stingray Z51
Paint Protection Film

I just got my Stingray tinted yesterday @ Sunshade in Troy, and Eric highly suggested that I wrap my front bumper/entire hood in PPF to prevent it from getting chips from rocks on the freeway, as well as simply maintaing the beautiful Laguna Blue paint. However, it's upwards of $3,000 to do it. I'm not too familiar with it but I like the idea of it. My question to you guys is, how effective is PPF? Would you pay an extra 3K for it on your Stingray or is there a cheaper, yet still effective alternative? I do a lot of freeway driving..
TimboSlice619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I did my Charger, front and the first 18 inches of hood and both mirros....it was 600.00. Well worth the money, but I will say you have to really keep that edge clean where the film ends and paint starts or you see it- gets old doing that sometimes......
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
andrews_texas

Drives: 2014 Stingray #4074
My MotorHome has the dupont film on the front. I hate it as it's very, very, hard to clean the bugs off of it. I've wondered what would happen if I ever remove it- will the paint be perfect still? Plus on the MH, I figure if I hit anything that can really damage the paint, somebody will probably be in the hospital...
andrews_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Fasttoys

Drives: Lotus Evora S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboSlice619 View Post
I just got my Stingray tinted yesterday @ Sunshade in Troy, and Eric highly suggested that I wrap my front bumper/entire hood in PPF to prevent it from getting chips from rocks on the freeway, as well as simply maintaing the beautiful Laguna Blue paint. However, it's upwards of $3,000 to do it. I'm not too familiar with it but I like the idea of it. My question to you guys is, how effective is PPF? Would you pay an extra 3K for it on your Stingray or is there a cheaper, yet still effective alternative? I do a lot of freeway driving..

My 2011 Lotus Evora S came with the film from the manufacture.. The day I take delivery of my new C7 I will have the front bumper and the headlights covered. IMO: If you look at the lines of the C7 I feel you can get away with not covering the hood. I enjoy waxing the car and once an area is covered you are only cleaning the clear plastic film. You should also look at doing the rear bumper area so rocks don't flip up and hit the paint. I have a guy in Dallas that is top notch. Remember this film is removable and can be replaced and should keep the front almost 99% paint chip free. You want a Clear Bra installer that can handle kit-less installations so you get no visable seams. Kits are put in a computer and printed out on a plotter which will have breaks/seams to join corners instead of stretching the film so you end up with no visible edge. Here is a site that can give you additional info http://www.invisibra.net/ If you don't want to spend the money at least do the headlights. The film will protect them and in 3 years when its beat up pull the film & the headlights will always look brand new.

Last edited by Fasttoys; 10-13-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Fasttoys....I agree with ya. To clean mine from bugs I use that deal that looks like a coral sponge- gold....never scratches! Wax it every month, and then clean that line by joint with a childs toothbrush deal........I have it behind my front wheels 6 inches and rear wheels 10 inches long and 6 inches high.....
Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Awstingray

Drives: Arctic white z51 3lt
Hey Timboslice,
I should be getting my new ray in a week or two and was planning on getting my windows tinted at sunshade as well. I used them on a previous car and they do great work. How was the overall experience? Also if you don't mind me asking what did they charge you?
Thanks
Awstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

what percentage tint did you guys get...sometimeson small cars tint shows even darker than a big car with lot of windows
Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
35 is legal for me.....20% you can sqeek by.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
TimboSlice619

Drives: 2014 2LT LBT Stingray Z51
Thanks for the info everyone, keep it coming. I still am on the fence about it!

@Awstingray-Congrats! These last few days are gonna drag by up until the moment you get it haha. This was the first time going to Sunshade. I looked around the internet for the top-notch tint place in southeast michigan. Sunshade seemed to be it. They have done all kinds of Lambo's, Ferrari's, Audi R8's(Incl. Justin Verlander's), and have nothing but phenomenal reviews. Mine looks great..the back windshield is tough with all of those little Vette flags that Chevy put on it, but they did a great job. It was $350(bit pricy) but well worth it so far. I got 5% all around
TimboSlice619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
JRsRS12

Drives: 2012 White 1LT RS Convertible
Check out XPel brand film, the stuff is great for protecting paint. I had it installed for $700, it covers the entire front of my Camaro, front section of the hood, mirrors, and gill area. The website has kits that cover most of a car. The shop that installed it must be getting it at a discount because the price for the kit is more expensive if you buy it directly from XPel. It's been on my car for two years and it looks as good as when installed. Also paint is chip free - well worth the price.
JRsRS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I have had the 3M on my old Cobalt, and old SRX. My new SRX the dealer I deal with moved to XPel protective films. All are similar, they protect amazingly against rock chips, and make cleaning bugs off easy as pie!

When I get my C7, i'm going to wrap as much of the car as possible in XPel!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Miss Scarlet

Drives: '64 Singray, '14 C7 (CRT, Z51 , 3LT
I have done a lot of research as well. Seems 3M and Xpel are the front runners. 3M has a 5 year warranty and Xpel has 10 years. I am taking Museum Delivery and they use Xpel if you want them to put it on. I plan to do the hood, bumper, and mirrors, along with the rear fenders near the wheels.

We were at a car show recently and saw a C6 w/ Xpel up about 1/3 of the hood, the line is not very visible at all, if you go with a partial hood installation. There was also a C6 that had no protection - both were red cars and the one without had LOTS of paint chips, very noticeable, and not at all attractive. I'd rather have a line that is barely visible than all those chips.

I have heard others with stories about following trucks with gravel and rather than a new paint job, they just replaced the film. No damages what so ever.

I'm sold.

The installation process is the most important. Need to be sure you have someone who is knowledgeable, and has the right environment (clean shop, no dust, proper prep (clay bar the paint), etc.).

My 2 cents. . .
Miss Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
I just got my yellow Z51 and will have Xpel applied, bumper, partial hood, fenders and mirrors for $850.00. The technician does not use kits.
REVVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #14
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
If I get it it will be for the front bumper and rocker panels. The area ahead of the rear wheels comes with PPF from the factory.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote