Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
where do these J pipes dump the exhaust?
They dont' as their ends are capped. The exhaust follows out the tips.
You can see the ends in the pic below
Attached Images

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
where do these J pipes dump the exhaust?
They don't. They are designed to reduce the undesirable low frequencies that cause drone.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Wouldn't the J pipes add a lot of turbulence to the exhaust making it less efficient?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Just got Solo-Performance Axle-back w/j pipes delivered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_wallis View Post
ohhh nice, that's Your car! I watched this video no telling how many times. It was one of the main things that made me go over the Solo route. Very helpful video with true sound readings. THANKS!

Glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
That is the MOST useful exhaust video I have seen yet. Numbers, numbers that matter.

I assume a L99 would be a little quieter with the extra stuff they add. (?)

Thanks,

Jim

That's why I made it with the decibel meter. I listened to countless videos as well and it just isn't the same as in person. I figured with the decibel meter at least you had a frame of reference from the stock sound levels.

Also, this is an L99.

Quote:
Wouldn't the J pipes add a lot of turbulence to the exhaust making it less efficient?

I'm 100% certain you would never feel the 1/4hp difference this would make. Also, as I tell my wife, NEVER question the judgement of the engineer!

If anybody is interested in hearing it in person, I'll be C5 Fest in Baytown next weekend. Running autocross Friday morning.

Davey

www.h-towncamaroclub.com

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #19
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Here's a little more sound of it doing work at the track.

http://youtu.be/NRPDB5pO6HM

www.h-towncamaroclub.com

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENS87 View Post
Has anyone done this on an L99? Curious about the drone.
I installed my Solo Axle Backs on my stock '10 L99 on 3/17/11- (One of the first to order).
Waited a long time for a drone free set up. Great deep rumble that seems to get louder as time goes on.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #21
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I just got a Mach XL on my LS3 and there is no drone whatsoever and I have LT headers w/ cats
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
This solo J pipe setup sure is a tempting mod but at this time I'm torn between methods of disabling the AFM or just leaving it be. Range or tune? Decisions decisions. I realize the ramification differences between the two. Ironically I'm currently participating in some Beta testing of the ver 6 model of this range unit to aid in tracking down CEL issues that pop up on some vehicles with respect to stabili trac and electric assist steering. It just seems the Range unit method of disabling afm, while reportedly maintaining warranty as it's said to be untraceable, goes about disabling AFM via tricking, for lack of better word, the ECM's internal communication buses instead of just turning it off via a hand held or custom tune, which will indeed leave a trace and jeopardizes warranty. I also realize that this topic has been beat into the ground a thousand times over. I just can't help but feel leery about any device that remains plugged in to the OBD port and would seem that failure of it and it's circuitry is inevitable, resulting in who knows what.

I've read several testimonials of myold88 throughout this topic though and he claims that this particular axle back setup is quite audibly compatible with the AFM left on. Just wonder if anyone else has run one of these with AFM still activated and could attest to this.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #23
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
tune
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
RobertRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
tune
I'm tending in that direction. Still would like to hear from anyone running solo J Pipe axle back setup with AFM enabled.

Last edited by RobertRS; 08-01-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 AM   #25
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
I'm tending in that direction. Still would like to hear from anyone running solo J Pipe axle back setup with AFM enabled.
Why tune your '14 Camaro first and lose your warranty ? Install the Solo J-pipes first and see if you like them re the afm/drone.
My warranty is up this month so I may tune the afm out now even though I don't think it's necessary.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
RobertRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Why tune your '14 Camaro first and lose your warranty ? Install the Solo J-pipes first and see if you like them re the afm/drone.
My warranty is up this month so I may tune the afm out now even though I don't think it's necessary.
Cutting the tail pipes off and installing an axle back that I may or may not like is not a problem for me. However the solo set requires cutting more off up to the mid hangars in order to accommodate the design. It then becomes a bit harder for a DIY'er to reverse to a different axle back without welding involved. What I'd like is more confidence that the solo setup is tolerable as opposed to most axle backs when it comes to the AFM transitioning. While I'm not keen of losing warranty via a tune, I'm still a bit leery of a device plugged in constantly to the OBD port as opposed to just having AFM shut off. Personally I've never had to use a vehicle warranty for a engine or drivetrain related issue .......ever. "knock on wood".
Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #27
myold88

I was cutting down trees at my daughters house today and had her move my SS down the street as a precaution.
I don't believe how loud (and great) the Camaro sounded with the Solos. I've never heard them outside the car before.
Believe me, very few would ever want their SS any louder than these Solo Axle backs. I'm surprised I've never been ticketed.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #28
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Great choice! They have a GREAT sound! And, the 4.5" tips look great too!
Attached Images

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote