Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which headers should I buy
Pfadt tri-y wit high flow cats and tune 27 36.99%
Kooks stepped headers with high flow cats and tune 23 31.51%
Kooks headers with green high flow cats and no tune 5 6.85%
Other (explain) 18 24.66%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #43
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
It's not on your list, but I'm VERY happy with my Texas-Speed 2" primary headers. They're also half the price of any option you posted.
I think TSP 2 inch headers are the best for performance and the best priced ones out there. And I don't even have TSP headers, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
What's issue with me asking? What are you the thread police? FYI...first headers on an ls3, not first experience with headers.
We're the guys who YOU asked for opinions from. Sorry that you didn't get a clear winner but that's because there really is no clear winner. If there were, EVERYONE would be running that header. Stop and ask yourself what's important to YOU, then find the set that fits your list. Everyone here will agree that the absolutely most important thing is, it's made from 304SS. After that it's up to you. They all fit about the same. 1 7/8 is the most widely bought although there's not a huge difference between any of the sizes. They all connect to the OEM or any aftermarket exhaust. They all make great power and roughly the same amount. They all benefit greatly from a tune. A few have merge spikes, if you believe in them. Not all are made in America. The ones that are tend to cost a bit more. They can all be coated. The biggest difference is price. No one is going to berate you for whatever choice you make, although the OBX guys are a bunch of cheap ass bastards, jk. Go over your list, narrow your choices down to a couple, then go shopping. Price range for all of them is roughly $500-$1500 and a good tune will cost around $400 more. I will say that most shops will give you a better price over the phone.

This was the long version of my previous post.

Quote:
Pick the ones you like best and fit your budget. Install them and don't look back.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Like what others have said they all will sound about the same and give about the same performance gains. What you are paying for is quality of the work involved, metal used, and customer service. My opinion may not matter much but I would recommend that you pick one that is built in the USA and made of 304SS. It can even be the cheapest brand you can find so long as it meets both of those requirements.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #46
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
And don't worry about some brands being made in China!!
BC ALMOST..........
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #47
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
We're the guys who YOU asked for opinions from. Sorry that you didn't get a clear winner but that's because there really is no clear winner. If there were, EVERYONE would be running that header. Stop and ask yourself what's important to YOU, then find the set that fits your list. Everyone here will agree that the absolutely most important thing is, it's made from 304SS. After that it's up to you. They all fit about the same. 1 7/8 is the most widely bought although there's not a huge difference between any of the sizes. They all connect to the OEM or any aftermarket exhaust. They all make great power and roughly the same amount. They all benefit greatly from a tune. A few have merge spikes, if you believe in them. Not all are made in America. The ones that are tend to cost a bit more. They can all be coated. The biggest difference is price. No one is going to berate you for whatever choice you make, although the OBX guys are a bunch of cheap ass bastards, jk. Go over your list, narrow your choices down to a couple, then go shopping. Price range for all of them is roughly $500-$1500 and a good tune will cost around $400 more. I will say that most shops will give you a better price over the phone.

This was the long version of my previous post.
I get it, thanks for your buy in. I'm leaning towards pfdat but mostly becaus I read they give a bit more ground clearance. I plan on dropping it a bit next time I change the tires.

Not sure what the clearance differences are. But like you said, they all seem similar.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
No one is going to berate you for whatever choice you make, although the OBX guys are a bunch of cheap ass bastards, jk
This is true, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #49
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I get it, thanks for your buy in. I'm leaning towards pfdat but mostly becaus I read they give a bit more ground clearance. I plan on dropping it a bit next time I change the tires.

Not sure what the clearance differences are. But like you said, they all seem similar.
If I had the jack and was in the market for a new set of headers, i'd probably go that route as well. Not because I think they are any better than the rest, but because I love Pfadt products and they are a work of art.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #50
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
i bought what I got a good deal on and used the merge collector as part of my decision process. thinking "merge" hp gains which kind of dictates some of the under the curve power leaves your top choices as LG, Kooks, ARH, and SW/SP. no particular order. buy which ever of these that is easier on your pocketbook.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #51
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
peak hp...I think any of these listed in the thread are very similar...that adds in the offbrands too. I focused on curve vs peak.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #52
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
peak hp...I think any of these listed in the thread are very similar...that adds in the offbrands too. I focused on curve vs peak.
What did you go with?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Kooks LTs with their standard high flow cats. No need for the green ones if your other options included high flow cats. Also, no need for the stepped headers unless you are getting into serious racing. Save the $$ on the stepped and green cats and put it towards something else.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #54
white1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I'm ordering the Pfadt with hfc's. Ground clearance is better which also means I won't have to cut the belly pan like you do with other LT's. Plus I like the V-band connection for the cat pipe which leaves only one place for the band clamp at the h-pipe. Less chance for leaks, my #1 gripe with headers. Also, some cheaper headers have thinner tubing which also makes them slightly noisier.
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #55
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
ARH! Enough said.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 11-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #56
Msmall143

Went with pfadt via chase @ apex.

Bought them from Apex cause it was a good deal and they were able to bundle the CAI I needed along with the scoop and washer relocate kit.

Last edited by Msmall143; 11-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.