The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
SilverRay

Drives: 2014 Silver C7 Z51 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Simple: one does a retail sold order in order to get exactly what one wants. If one does not do a retail sold order, than what difference does it make if one bought an order or bought off the lot? And if going through the retail sold order process, ignoring or overlooking the fundamental part of the process, namely: getting updates from when the order was accepted, scheduled to be built, built, scheduled for delivery to dealer and, most important, delivered, then one has missed out on the roller coaster ride of doing a retail order and no matter what will always know they have missed out on THE most important aspect of buying a new car.

Deny as you will but you will always know I am right.

Laborsmith
I believe that illiceman was referring that he never put his ZL1 on the RACE TRACK in reference to the article above not tracking an order
SilverRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Corvettestingray

Drives: Corvette
I'm excited to see how the mag ride handles. Previous mag ride suspensions why they felt like they were doing a tremendous amount to improve handling, seemed to me to do little more than make the valving harsher. Just because the care becomes uncomfortable, does not mean the damping is optimized for performance. That being said, this new system is supposed to be much better.
Corvettestingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #17
FrankBlue

Drives: They run, sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettestingray View Post
Just because the care becomes uncomfortable, does not mean the damping is optimized for performance. That being said, this new system is supposed to be much better.
The tuning of the mag ride is dependent on the mode setting. In touring, it's a very plush and comfy ride. In sport it's firm, but is easily the best setting for daily driving. It shouldn't be uncomfortable unless you're in track mode, which shouldn't be used on public roads.
FrankBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
occar

Drives: n/a
It doesn't just make valving harsher.

The whole idea behind that type shocks is that it is a ferrofluid (that is, a fluid that is mixed with a magnetic agent). This allows the liquid in each shock to have its viscosity adjusted along a very granular scale, independently of one another by increasing or decreasing the power going the coils of wire around it. In effect, you can make that fluid as thin, or as viscous as your fluid is capable of being on the fly, and you can treat each shock as a totally separate entity and control them all based on the proper setting.

Of course that all depends on how good the software is, but in general that's the idea. It's far more than just switching a valve between two modes.

Here is an example of such a fluid being exposed to magnetic fields. and then the field being turned off.

occar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #19
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiceman View Post
Hmm Never tracked my ZL 1.I guess thata the reason I was not really impressed with it.
kind of defeats the purpose of the suspension.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote