Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
1968ss350

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
IDK about a centri with an air-to-air intercooler being hotter, I think the majority consensus is that air-to-air is way more efficient and your IAT lower with centri - i mean it's one of the known pro's of a centri over a PD.

At least in my limited knowledge of the topic.

Let's not forget early C7 Z06 heat soak issues - just because OEM use them, doesn't mean they aren't hot.
Agree entirely I know the cure for this was an updated lid. Also I believe the Camaro has much better cooling capabilities than the vette because there is more airflow entering the engine compartment.

Hyper Blue 2SS/6 speed, NPP, MRC, Nav, 5LQ 6 piston brakes, Black split spoke, Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat Supercharger, Flowtie upper grill
1968ss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
OP,

You won't go wrong with the Magnuson unit. I have 3 cars with them, and in the AZ heat they hold up fine. I road course my 5th gen repeatedly with a Maggie and it has never failed me. I recently ran my 6th gen with a heartbeat on the Roval in Fontana and it ran great. I logged each run and saw a maximum IAT of 158 and that's at the top of 5th gear on the long straight. Outside temps were nice though, about 80 degrees. I am also running a 90mm pulley for more boost, so I am stressing the intercooler more than a stock kit would. I wouldn't recommend anybody stressing a boosted engine over 110 degrees, unless its for a competition. It's too much stress on the engine and the potential for damage to occur increases significantly. For a street car a few blasts here and there is nothing and intake air will cool relatively quickly once you return to normal driving. Any intercooled system that relies on the outside air can only get to the temperature of the outside air period. So if its 115 outside, the best your IAT will be is 115, that's power loss and there's not much you can do about it unless you change the cooling attributes of your intercooler (SuperChiller, Icebox, etc). So either supercharger will see the same negative power levels at that temperature, plain and simple. If you want a Magnusson, go for it...you'll love it. If you get a Procharger, I'm sure you'll love that too. But, the heat will effect both types. Hope this helps
Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #17
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
The ProCharger will heat soak as well. But it also isn't "quite" as bad not being attached. But it is still contained under the hood.
A tiny bit yes... as does any motor (even NA)

I have back to back to back to backkkkkkkkked so many of our cars is crazy.
Not only dyno pulls, but repeated track runs, highway pulls, etc.

It would be uncommon to loose much more than 10-25rwhp total.
Since the nice thing about the air to air...
Is that it does the same thing all the time, every time.

I just spent an entire day last week beating the snot out of our 2016 Camaro....
(P1SC System, STG2 intercooler)...
It was 92 degrees outside, and the sun beating down like crazy.
I was doing some fuel testing and 0-155 mph runs.....
highest IAT recorded by the ECU (and our data logging equipment) was 127 degrees.

Sadly I think I was hotter than 127 degrees before my day was done. LOL.
Black t-shirts and sun = the suck.

NOTE: Lack of heat soak and power fade...is one of the reasons we are starting to see the rise in system sales for cars that are being road raced. HECK TWO of HPTuners very own inhouse cars that are road-raced actually have our units on them. (One Mustang, and one Vette). Its a nice pat on the back when these guys that are the kings of data, use our stuff on their personal cars. (best part... I didn't even know they bought systems, till finally talking to them about it)
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I drive mine 2-3 days a week. I've set in the staging lanes stopping and starting and the car still run 10.70's and 80's with no issues. I had one on my g8 also and loved every minute of driving it as I do my Camaro.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #19
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I beat mine up everyday and it's very hot! And my Whipple too. LOL.. It's always a great time when you get to add boost period.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #20
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968ss350 View Post
I feel if the heat was such an issue then large auto manufactures wouldn't equip vehicles with PD blowers from the factory. Remember the Magnuson is built to OE specs and it's underdriven. I live in Los Angeles and haven't noticed any power drop with this heat wave. Not 120* only around 90* but I'd be more concerned with what type of sunscreen I was going to apply with a Vert in 120* weather
OEM's use PD blowers for packaging reasons, that is it.

All PD blowers heat soak and yes they are water cooled and then after a hard run the water warms up and you have to wait for it to recover.

PD blowers are fun to drive if you have traction but I prefer a Centri in a RWD car where traction will be your limiting factor.

Centrifugal superchargers do not heat soak any more than your alternator does and is a bit disingenuous to compare something that hangs off the engine and has no direct heat transfer contact other than the bracket to a giant lump of metal that sits on top of the engine and has hot coolant running through it.

Meth gives you very consistent IAT's in a Centri. I'm spending a ton of money right now getting the PD blower in my S4 to stay cool, it is a giant heat sink and puts a ton of extra heat into the cooling system.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #21
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
OEM's use PD blowers for packaging reasons, that is it.

All PD blowers heat soak and yes they are water cooled and then after a hard run the water warms up and you have to wait for it to recover.

PD blowers are fun to drive if you have traction but I prefer a Centri in a RWD car where traction will be your limiting factor.

Centrifugal superchargers do not heat soak any more than your alternator does and is a bit disingenuous to compare something that hangs off the engine and has no direct heat transfer contact other than the bracket to a giant lump of metal that sits on top of the engine and has hot coolant running through it.

Meth gives you very consistent IAT's in a Centri. I'm spending a ton of money right now getting the PD blower in my S4 to stay cool, it is a giant heat sink and puts a ton of extra heat into the cooling system.
Oddly enough my Whipple runs very good. I literally drive it for 3-4 hours straight on Saturday and Sunday in 90 degree heat. And I really do beat it up. It maybe Whipple's reservoir and cooling system is larger/better then others.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #22
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
A tiny bit yes... as does any motor (even NA)

I have back to back to back to backkkkkkkkked so many of our cars is crazy.
Not only dyno pulls, but repeated track runs, highway pulls, etc.

It would be uncommon to loose much more than 10-25rwhp total.
Since the nice thing about the air to air...
Is that it does the same thing all the time, every time.

I just spent an entire day last week beating the snot out of our 2016 Camaro....
(P1SC System, STG2 intercooler)...
It was 92 degrees outside, and the sun beating down like crazy.
I was doing some fuel testing and 0-155 mph runs.....
highest IAT recorded by the ECU (and our data logging equipment) was 127 degrees.

Sadly I think I was hotter than 127 degrees before my day was done. LOL.
Black t-shirts and sun = the suck.

NOTE: Lack of heat soak and power fade...is one of the reasons we are starting to see the rise in system sales for cars that are being road raced. HECK TWO of HPTuners very own inhouse cars that are road-raced actually have our units on them. (One Mustang, and one Vette). Its a nice pat on the back when these guys that are the kings of data, use our stuff on their personal cars. (best part... I didn't even know they bought systems, till finally talking to them about it)
I wasn't knocking it, merely pointing out a fact. My car made 541hp up in Chicago on a 70* day. Then down in KC on ,Power Tour, made 526hp.....with the A/C on! And it had just been idling for 20 minutes so my daughter could cool off. I'm very happy with the ProCharger....it just needs some refinement in order for me to maximize it for what I do with it. But that's just Hot Rodding at its finest!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #23
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Oddly enough my Whipple runs very good. I literally drive it for 3-4 hours straight on Saturday and Sunday in 90 degree heat. And I really do beat it up. It maybe Whipple's reservoir and cooling system is larger/better then others.
Unless you have actual data and a point of reference then it doesn't mean much.

Not trying to be an ass about it but if you have a car and its always 90 degree's and you drive it in 90 degree weather your point of reference is driving it in 90 degree weather.

Take it into 60 degree weather and suddenly its much better and now 90 doesn't seem so awesome.

Every car with a PD blower deals with heat soak, every last one of them. Go read on car forums for cars with PD blowers, first question, how do I keep IAT's down and stop heatsoak.

You only have so much airflow, so much coolant, and so much heat transfer. PD blowers heat sink more than a Centri. It is an impossible fact to argue.

I'll see my IAT's rise 40-50 degree's on a single run in my S4. My IAT's are dead stable on my Corvette with the Centri.

You can address it. Divorce the system, run a bigger heat exchanger or I'm looking into a Killer Chiller right now that uses the AC system and most people are only seeing a 10 degree increase on the first run, but after that unless you recover its back to being bad.

That is just the nature of PD and A2W. There is a reason the Z06's overheat, that Cobra owners carry bags of ice to the track, and that the new ZL1 has 10 radiators.

My point is someone here made the comment that Centri blowers heat soak with the impression that it is the same as a PD blower, but its not, not even close.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #24
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I'll remind everyone that one of the biggest, if not the biggest factors in IATs is sensor placement. No doubt PDs run hotter because they are setting on two "hot plates" (heads), but just be careful about carrying IAT comparisons too far.

Both types are well engineered and will perform well. Heat soaking on a PD can actually be a good thing on a long track run in that thermal flow is back to the PD can pull heat out of the heads and back to the ATW heat exchanger.

No one type is better than the other all of the time.

Edit: By the way Op, try the Procharger canned tune first before going for a custom tune. They know what they are doing.

Last edited by Atomic Ed; 06-21-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:

Not trying to be an ass about it but if you have a car and its always 90 degree's and you drive it in 90 degree weather your point of reference is driving it in 90 degree weather.

Take it into 60 degree weather and suddenly its much better and now 90 doesn't seem so awesome.

Every car with a PD blower deals with heat soak, every last one of them. Go read on car forums for cars with PD blowers, first question, how do I keep IAT's down and stop heatsoak.

You only have so much airflow, so much coolant, and so much heat transfer. PD blowers heat sink more than a Centri. It is an impossible fact to argue.

I'll see my IAT's rise 40-50 degree's on a single run in my S4. My IAT's are dead stable on my Corvette with the Centri.

You can address it. Divorce the system, run a bigger heat exchanger or I'm looking into a Killer Chiller right now that uses the AC system and most people are only seeing a 10 degree increase on the first run, but after that unless you recover its back to being bad.

That is just the nature of PD and A2W. There is a reason the Z06's overheat, that Cobra owners carry bags of ice to the track, and that the new ZL1 has 10 radiators.

My point is someone here made the comment that Centri blowers heat soak with the impression that it is the same as a PD blower, but its not, not even close.
Hard to argue with that.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #26
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:

Yes my reference is just by the seat of my pants. The Whipple is also a newer design with a large heat exchange and reservoir. And absolutely my car gets heat soak like any other.. I just believe mine is not as bad as most. As more Whipple's are installed there will be quite a bit for data flowing. Maybe some other guys will chime in on their experience with the new system.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post

Edit: By the Op, try the Procharger canned tune first before going for a custom tune. They know what they are doing.
Thanks.

The same tune the runs our demo Camaros here, on the road course, the drag strip, and daily driven.... is the same file customers get.

Sure a person might sneak a few extra ponies with a custom file for their fuel.
But I know for a fact our "canned" file is plenty powerful, and safe for the general public use.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

You may have an IAT sensor problem with your corvette if they are dead stable, Unless you are spraying Meth of course.

A few fun facts.

Centris generally pull air from under the hood, then heat it up more then try and cool it down with an intercooler.

You made a good point, Point of reference, Underhood temps can be 300+ degrees entering the supercharger.

Each LB of boost will raise air temp about 11 degrees, so add 10 psi boost and your discharge temps are 410 Degrees.

All PD blowers pull only outside Air through cold air boxes, typically 70-90 degrees on average then add your 10 psi boost and your discharge temps are 200 degrees give or take, then the intercooler knocks it down to nearly ambient temps.

I personally road race my ZL-1 with No cooling mods, and 12 psi boost with Zero IAT concerns.

Temp climbs on any supercharger the longer you are at full throttle the higher it climbs.

Holding off Intake air temperature is dependent on 2 factors, Blower Inlet Temp and intercooler ability to absorb the discharge temps and return them to the atmosphere.

Recovery is also important, How fast can we return to Ambient temps once the IAT climbs during a full throttle blast.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote