The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > In Car Electronics (NAV, Audio, Entertainment, Gauges, etc.)

Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
I-VETTE

Drives: 2014 Stingray
TRUNK OPENING BY ITSELF

Hi guys;
I'm having this problem and it may be because of something I'm doing (or omiting): Just the other day I left my house and I notice on the screen the trunk was open. This happened before while driving from the dealer home. For no apparent reason (I'm not pressing the remote button). Another night I went to the car to install the "blind spot mirrors" and when I locked the car, it gave me the signal there was something open.... THE TRUNK. I check inside to verify there was nothing interfyring with the locks: it was empty.
Anyone having the same problem?
I-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I've not heard of this problem. Is it possible the fob is pressing against something in your pocket enough to actuate the trunk release? Perhaps any keys you may have on the fob? I've set off the panic button a couple of times while sitting at my desk at work. Apparently a fold in the pocket fabric would press the button if I moved a certain way.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
I-VETTE

I was very cautious with the FOB and It didn't happen today. Is possible you are right but something did sounded on the back when I opened the door ("wak-um, wak-um, wak-um). I checked the trunk and was closed. Nothing happen after: I drove to my work with no issues.
Maybe I'm getting paranoid and this sounds are normal when one opens the door...
Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
When you open the driver door the fuel fill door lock does make such a sound. From what I've been able to determine everyone hears it and its considered normal. The fuel door will not open by itself, you have to do that manually. The sound is it unlocking so you can opening it.

Spend a few days being careful with the fob. If you don't have any more problems with the trunk opening, accidental button pressing is most likely what happened. If the trunk still opens unexpectedly, take it in for service. Something else may be at fault, such as the fob is faulty or maybe a bad relay somewhere.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
monicatomokc

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2021 Tahoe Z71
Also be careful when entering and exiting the car. Several times my knee has activated the trunk release getting in (mostly) and getting out.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
I-VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicatomokc View Post
Also be careful when entering and exiting the car. Several times my knee has activated the trunk release getting in (mostly) and getting out.
Wow. That can also be it. Anyway today was my 2nd trip with no "trunk opening". I will continue ti have the FOB on a non "pressure zone" LOL
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
I-VETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
When you open the driver door the fuel fill door lock does make such a sound. From what I've been able to determine everyone hears it and its considered normal. The fuel door will not open by itself, you have to do that manually. The sound is it unlocking so you can opening it.

Spend a few days being careful with the fob. If you don't have any more problems with the trunk opening, accidental button pressing is most likely what happened. If the trunk still opens unexpectedly, take it in for service. Something else may be at fault, such as the fob is faulty or maybe a bad relay somewhere.
Good to know about that sound on the gas door... thanks. I was starting to feel all kind of noises (one step to hear voices... LOL) Thanks.