The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Would a Cold Air Intake do the trick?

When I get the C7 I'm going to be putting a new sound system in it. I will probably be putting in 3 12 inch subwoofers, a ported box, an amp, and then front speakers and a smaller amp to power those.

So with all that extra weight I was wondering if installing a good Cold Air Intake would balance it out? Or would I still be slower than stock I've heard of guys with C6's adding up to 30 horsepower by just adding a CAI so I wasn't sure if that's true and if it would be enough? I'd ultimately like to be faster than stock so would I need to add some Long Tube Headers or something else as well? I know this is still all speculation and guessing without numbers but any advice or ideas would help me a lot! Thank you
Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
3 12inchers in a Vette?

Maybe go to something like a JBL MS 8 if clear clean sound is the answer.

If for show, why worry about road power?

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

That's what I currently have in the Camaro and it sounds AMAZING so I figured I would transfer everything over to the vette. If it was just for show I would throw 4 or 5 15's and a couple huge amps in it but I'm looking to take it to the track so I don't want to go overboard on the subs.

My goal is to keep it stock or faster so that's why I was wondering if just a CAI would be enough. I'm only wondering because I'm just starting out in the world and don't have that much extra cash to use on my cars.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
This car will need to be tuned to gain any real power even from bolt ons. It will take some time till that becomes available.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I have no doubt Vince Geglia will solve the LT1 ecu long before and more efficiently then any one else.

I accept there is a difference in C7 cargo capacity when compared to a C6 or a C5, but there are laws of physics that must be considered, such as physical space and what area is needed for the subs to best function. I do not believe three 12inchers can maintain or exceed engine performance without unduly sacrificing storage but you could easily prove me wrong.

My opinion, and, thanks to the internet, you are both welcome to and have to accept it!

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wagner View Post
When I get the C7 I'm going to be putting a new sound system in it. I will probably be putting in 3 12 inch subwoofers, a ported box, an amp, and then front speakers and a smaller amp to power those.

So with all that extra weight I was wondering if installing a good Cold Air Intake would balance it out? Or would I still be slower than stock I've heard of guys with C6's adding up to 30 horsepower by just adding a CAI so I wasn't sure if that's true and if it would be enough? I'd ultimately like to be faster than stock so would I need to add some Long Tube Headers or something else as well? I know this is still all speculation and guessing without numbers but any advice or ideas would help me a lot! Thank you
From what I've read, the upgraded Blowz 2LT/3LT audio includes a 14 liter ported box/sound tube already in the hatch. I'd imagine there's going to be some serious gutting involved. You planning on replacing all the amplification and OEM speakers? Or just adding subs and additional amps to run them?

And with 460 ft./lbs. of torque? I wouldn't sweat adding a couple of hundred pounds in the back. Think of it as improving the weight distribution
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
From what I've read, the upgraded Blowz 2LT/3LT audio includes a 14 liter ported box/sound tube already in the hatch. I'd imagine there's going to be some serious gutting involved. You planning on replacing all the amplification and OEM speakers? Or just adding subs and additional amps to run them?

And with 460 ft./lbs. of torque? I wouldn't sweat adding a couple of hundred pounds in the back. Think of it as improving the weight distribution
I'm getting a 1LT since there's nothing in the 2LT and 3LT that I want, so I don't have to worry about the extra speaker. I plan on replacing all of the speakers/amps as well as adding subwoofers. Everything will be Alpine just like I have it in the Camaro right now.

Hahaha I hear ya. Even if I lose a little speed or break even, I'm going from a V6 Camaro to a V8 Corvette so it'll still be like driving a bugatti to me.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wagner View Post
I'm getting a 1LT since there's nothing in the 2LT and 3LT that I want, so I don't have to worry about the extra speaker. I plan on replacing all of the speakers/amps as well as adding subwoofers. Everything will be Alpine just like I have it in the Camaro right now.

Hahaha I hear ya. Even if I lose a little speed or break even, I'm going from a V6 Camaro to a V8 Corvette so it'll still be like driving a bugatti to me.

Im not into loud loud deafing music but can do like this guy..
just i think u might rupture ur ear drums..
keep in mind nothing separates u from subs like on camaro where backseat muffles it down some
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
We have not gone into development yet for the new C7, but when we do we will be sure to post up as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Corvettestingray

Drives: Corvette
I'm sure a tune and a CAI can get you close
Corvettestingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
thrilled

Drives: 1LT
I don't know your age.I'm thinking 20-30.i'm going to give you A tip.You'll be saying Huh to
Every question that is asked you in about 20 years.
I mean technology in hearing is improving all the time.But do you really want to lose your hearing sooner than later?
A good quality CAI is always A good thing to have.
thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
player0ne

Drives: 2003 Nissan 350Z
I think you missed your moment.
Attached Images

player0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by player0ne View Post
I think you missed your moment.
Huh??
Old 03-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
mowilson329

Drives: 2014 Stingray 1LT/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate GM View Post
Huh??
I think he is simply noting that the response window was a bit late given that the preceeding comment occured almost 2 years earlier.....