The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I don't know if you saw it....

.....but there was an article in Car and Driver latest issue that was humorous. Normally, I don't really like to rag on the Mustangs because as others have mentioned on this forum, at least they are still American Muscle. Also, at least they are still around, while all the other American Muscle has disappeared and having to make comebacks.

This particluar article decided to pick out 4 coupes that could be had for around 35K. They compared the Audi TT, the Mazda RX-8, the Nissan 350Z, and the Ford Shelby GT. I didn't really think the comparison was fair...I mean, the 350Z has often been criticized as underpowered, underperforming. The Audi TT and the RX-8 are way overrated. And, the Shelby is a different kind of car with far more HP and torque than any of the others.

Anyway, found a couple things amusing here....

First....the Shelby finished 4th in their ratings.
Second....with 330HP/319lb-ft the Shelby only managed to win the 0-60mph by .1 seconds over the 350Z with 306HP/268lb-ft (5.1 seconds vs 5.2 seconds)
Third....the Shelby lost its .1 second advantage in the 1/4-mile over the Nissan when they tied at 13.7 seconds at 104mph.
Fourth....and probably the most humorous part...C&D says of the Shelby that the "live axle, on the other hand, is responsible for the worst handling of the group. In truth, the blame isn’t all located at the rear. The front suspension is lousy enough that one tester compared the whole package to a 20-year-old pickup truck. On a particularly rough stretch of road, the vibrations were severe enough that the hood clips worked themselves loose."

Sure, they ratings are somewhat subjective, so the rating doesn't really mean anything, I just found it funny that the Shelby was picked last out of this particular grouping.

The performance numbers seem uninspiring and they show that on the street, the average Shelby driver could get beat by the underperforming Nissan (and certainly by the upcoming Challenger and Camaro models).

But, what can't be totally subjective and what can't be "covered up" by a good driver is that "20 year-old pickup truck" suspension. And that an additional $12,500 gives you an appearance package and very little performance upgrades over a stock Mustang GT

Sure it's still American, but if it can't perform better than that, it's going to start giving American Muscle a bad name.....Okay, I'm done picking on the Mustang...

Here's the article if you want to read it...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...di-tt-20t.html
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)

Great find... I know it's American and everything... But that doesn't make me like them any more.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I looked at a Saleen Mustang they had in a raffle for a fire department in Zelienople, PA this weekend.... 47,000 for a 330 HP car your frikin kidding right? so many better things for that price ( at $5 i didn't even buy a ticket)

I test drove a stock mustang. worst nose diving i've had under breaking in years!

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Doesn't everyone know that magazine results are just magazine results?

How about this comparison from Motor Trend magazine?

It has the stock Mustang GT (better than the Shelby results too)

0-60 in 5.1 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.5 @103.6 mph

Nissan 350Z

0-60 in 5.5 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.9 @102.2 mph

Here are the links:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ang_specs.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...50z_specs.html

Or how about this one for a little closer to home to the die hard GM people out there?

LS2 Pontiac GTO

0-60 in 5.2 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.7 @103.9 mph

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=2

Wait that looks like 13.7 @ 104 mph for all three vehicles!!!!! Given those results, am I to believe that a 400 hp GTO and a 303 hp 350Z are really running neck and neck in the quarter mile? HELL NO!!!! So why assume the Mustang Shelby GT isn't representing American muscle just because of one magazine article? Moral of the story is that magazines always have a wide variety of results.....

Think about it, and lets quit bench racing.

Take it to the track!

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 06-03-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
looks like they need a driver mod
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Rock, don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you....magazines get a wide variety of results....even within their own articles...they often comment how these results are different from one they tested a few months ago and then explain weather conditions, track conditions, etc....I completely agree with what you stated.

I actually thought it was unfair before reading the article that those other cars would be expected to compete with the Mustang. I thought for sure that the 'Stang would blow them away. Obviously not. Even with differences that the magazines get, you can't argue that the Audi, Nissan, and Mazda aren't close to the Ford in performance and that just shouldn't be.

I will say that out of these four, I would take the Shelby over those other ones based on looks and attitude, but when you throw price into the mix, suddenly the Shelby is looking a little less attractive. Now toss in the performance numbers....makes it hard to want to buy a Mustang.

Of course, I'm not really a fan of any of them. Audi has a couple in their lineup I'd consider, but I can't really say the same thing about Nissan, Mazda, or Ford (maybe the GT if money were no object).
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
I agree... I would choose Audi hands down...
Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
I agree... I would choose Audi hands down...
Same.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
+2 on the Audi. One thing about new car magazines is that when they test these cars, they baby them down the 1/4 mile. If you want to really find out how the American muscle cars really perform, check out the late model performance mags. The GT500 ran a 12.9 in the quarter according to C&D. How a 500HP car goes that slow is beyond me, but look in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, and you'll see that the GT500 ran a 12.25. New car magazines do not focus on wringing every last bit of performance out of their test cars. They are more focused on driving the car in general. Most people who care about 1/4 mile times aren't concerned how many inches of headroom the car has. These articles are written to showcase the car overall, without a focus on any one subject. If you are seriously in the market, then do what I plan on doing once all the new muscle is out. Test drive them yourself. Tell the dealer that if you can't, then you are going to go buy one of the other cars you were looking at. They'll let you do what you want to an extent.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
+2 on the Audi. One thing about new car magazines is that when they test these cars, they baby them down the 1/4 mile. If you want to really find out how the American muscle cars really perform, check out the late model performance mags. The GT500 ran a 12.9 in the quarter according to C&D. How a 500HP car goes that slow is beyond me, but look in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, and you'll see that the GT500 ran a 12.25. New car magazines do not focus on wringing every last bit of performance out of their test cars. They are more focused on driving the car in general. Most people who care about 1/4 mile times aren't concerned how many inches of headroom the car has. These articles are written to showcase the car overall, without a focus on any one subject. If you are seriously in the market, then do what I plan on doing once all the new muscle is out. Test drive them yourself. Tell the dealer that if you can't, then you are going to go buy one of the other cars you were looking at. They'll let you do what you want to an extent.

Well said. I reread my post and I sound a little more worked up than I intended to. I just have a general dislike for the big three car mags out there (yet I still read them LOL).

Also, I don't really like the Shelby GT either, because you can essentially take a stock Mustang GT add the same handling and performance modifications, and throw in some 4.10s for good measure and keep it all under $2000. The Shelby GT is just a designer Mustang and you are just paying for the name.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote