Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-09-2023, 11:06 PM   #71
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
She doesn't need to win brownie points. She was here when the cool crowd was still here.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:56 AM   #72
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
She doesn't need to win brownie points. She was here when the cool crowd was still here.
Those were the good old days. Seems everyone has moved to Facebook groups instead of forums.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:39 AM   #73
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
People who write bs like this have no clue how making cars work. Any change on horsepower would mean paying for all the emission tests, certifications, etc that are necessary to get the car on the road. Having testcars that drive thousands of miles to make sure nothing breaks and they can deliver the full waranty. Adjusting the whole production like to add the new parts that have to be put on the car.

If you have that in mind, just think about how much sense it makes that GM would invest millions of dollars into all these process to bring out 1,000 special editions cars, after they pretty much let the Camaro die without investing a dime into the car since the 2020 re-refresh.

Also GM pretty much confirmed the things the only truthworthy site with GM insider stuff, MC&T, posted: MY2024 is the last Camaro year, there will be a Panther themed special edition that pretty much is a typical sticker package with a unique emblem.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:48 AM   #74
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Was trying to stay outta this train wreck, but since I’ve been called out, here goes…

Could GM make a last run of ‘25 Z28?
Sure they could. Model year rules say that a model year can only have one January 1st so they could start the ‘24 model year in July or August and run it through sometime in January, end ‘24 MY and start ‘25 MY.

What would be the motivation?
I can’t think of a good one. Maybe to establish an instant collectible. But isn’t that what the Panther Commemorative Edition is all about? So again, what is the motivation?

Well, if they put the LT6 in it, that would be special!
Let’s work our way back to Blackwing. The engine, not the car (confused yet?) When GM ended the the CT6 Blackwing, the only vehicle ever to use the Blackwing engine, auto analysts everywhere (I’m an auto analyst, so I was one of them) said “maybe the Blackwing engine could drop into the CT5 V-Series Blackwing”. Seemed reasonable. One Powertrain forecaster at the time (me) even created a Camaro forecast that had the Blackwing engine going into a top end Camaro. Until a GM engineer kindly explained that Blackwing doesn’t package in the Alpha platform. Not the CT5, definitely not the Camaro. Immediately removed from forecast So what does that have to do with LT6? LT6 was codeveloped with the Blackwing engine on the same DOHC platform that doesn’t package in Alpha. Dream crushed.

So we’re back to “what is GM motivation to pump out a few ‘25 Z28 pieces at the end of the ‘24 Camaro run?” I got nothin’. And that’s what I think this whole thing is…nothin’.
The only thing I can dream up is the same guy that changed the Z28 to the ZL1 1 week before the Chicago auto show has a say in it.

Or even better Mary Barra wants to look like the the last bastion of ICE loving CEOs. Remember Rick Wagner got his SSR. And remember the stupid crap they did to “launch on time” to meet his commitment date. This could be a go simply as a directive from Mary. And as much as people (even on this site) like to blast her. This really wouldn’t surprise me.

GM has certainly done some head scratching things in my career there so let’s hope there is one more here.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:15 AM   #75
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The only thing I can dream up is the same guy that changed the Z28 to the ZL1 1 week before the Chicago auto show has a say in it.
Holy shit did that ever get confirmed as true? I always heard it was an unlikely rumor.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:20 AM   #76
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Is it possible is it a track only car? Although that's more of an exotic car thing to sell a non-street legal performance car. I've seen several 6gen ZL1's at track events that were trailered in, those cars probably already live like a track-only car already. Guessing there's a market for this.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:21 AM   #77
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:37 AM   #78
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Holy shit did that ever get confirmed as true? I always heard it was an unlikely rumor.
True. Mark Reuss made a late decision that the Z28 had to be NA. How much credit goes solely to him I’m not sure of but the ZL1 was going to be introduced in Chicago as the Z28. GM had to pay big time to buy back the rights to ZL1 at the last minute..

I was always told it was Mark, but maybe it just took him to approve it.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #79
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
True. Mark Reuss made a late decision that the Z28 had to be NA. How much credit goes solely to him I’m not sure of but the ZL1 was going to be introduced in Chicago as the Z28. GM had to pay big time to buy back the rights to ZL1.

Wow. That’s awesome. Some 5th gen ZL1 parts being stamped with “Z/28” confirm it too.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #80
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
bottom line: if the ZL1 1LE isn't enough for you i don't even know what to say.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:45 AM   #81
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
Is it possible is it a track only car? Although that's more of an exotic car thing to sell a non-street legal performance car. I've seen several 6gen ZL1's at track events that were trailered in, those cars probably already live like a track-only car already. Guessing there's a market for this.
That would minimize if not eliminate some development costs and GM already sells COPO Camaros which I don’t believe are street legal so there is that.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #82
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The Camaro has been dead for years. Its corpse is slowly sliding down the chute into the trash bin. GM couldn’t care less, which is why their grand send off is a mediocre sticker package. The 5th gen had brought the Camaro back in a big way but they phoned in the 6th gen and this is the result. The day Al O was transferred was the day the Camaro officially died.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:31 AM   #83
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Quote:
True. Mark Reuss made a late decision that the Z28 had to be NA. How much credit goes solely to him I’m not sure of but the ZL1 was going to be introduced in Chicago as the Z28. GM had to pay big time to buy back the rights to ZL1 at the last minute..

I will co-sign this. I was still at GM and very cool with a number of folks on the Camaro and Corvette teams. The issue was ZL1 is boosted and Z28 should not be boosted. Same argument failed wrt Z06, which is why this went to the 11th hour.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:36 AM   #84
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I will co-sign this. I was still at GM and very cool with a number of folks on the Camaro and Corvette teams. The issue was ZL1 is boosted and Z28 should not be boosted. Same argument failed wrt Z06, which is why this went to the 11th hour.
Awesome, a co signer! So in the future if I don’t make my payments……..

I still want something powered by an LS7. Sadly they are all very expensive these days.

Last edited by Number 3; 05-11-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote