Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Skip-shift eliminator carry over?

now... I don't know much about the mechanical aspect of cars, and I'm not gonna pretend I do, but I have been driving "spiritedly" since I was about 12-13 (IROC-Z FTW!!!!) and was a bit upset when I found out the skip shift crap is going to be part of the gen6.. upset, but not surprised. that skip shift crap makes it a pain when trying to drive relaxed but still control when I shift.

so my question is this: does the skip-shift eliminator thing used on the gen5 compatible with the gen6? I don't want to have to wait a long time for a new one to come out.
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
^5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
now...
so my question is this: does the skip-shift eliminator thing used on the gen5 compatible with the gen6? I don't want to have to wait a long time for a new one to come out.

What he said
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
honestly I never hit it in my zl1. all you have to do is rev over like 2500 rpms in first gear you will never hit.

I bought the cable but I never installed it. It is really driving style related the only way it ever activates is if you are really grandma driving the car. you adjust you driving style pull 3k in first gear it will never ever activate.

I think they are still using the 6060 trans so i assume the last gen skip shift would work.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
honestly I never hit it in my zl1. all you have to do is rev over like 2500 rpms in first gear you will never hit.

I bought the cable but I never installed it. It is really driving style related the only way it ever activates is if you are really grandma driving the car. you adjust you driving style pull 3k in first gear it will never ever activate.

I think they are still using the 6060 trans so i assume the last gen skip shift would work.
It really sucks in stop and go traffic. Before I got the CAGS eliminator on my 4th gen I would just let it slip into neutral for a second and then it would have no problem going into second. After a few days of doing it it was second nature to where I still did it subconsciously sometimes even after the eliminator.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
SkipNWis

OK VENDERS you should be ON this Be the first to start selling them
Old 12-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #6
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
I am not going to be modding this car much... but this is probably on the list. I want to decide when to shift and what gear. Spent a little time with a skip shift and it didn't seem to get in the way, but... Not sure it is something I want everyday. Wish you could turn it off... Like rev match. Or adjust when it kicks in via the drive mode selector.. How about it only working in Snow/Ice, and Touring mode.. Sport and Track mode would disable it. Good idea??
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #7
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInJackson View Post
I am not going to be modding this car much... but this is probably on the list. I want to decide when to shift and what gear. Spent a little time with a skip shift and it didn't seem to get in the way, but... Not sure it is something I want everyday. Wish you could turn it off... Like rev match. Or adjust when it kicks in via the drive mode selector.. How about it only working in Snow/Ice, and Touring mode.. Sport and Track mode would disable it. Good idea??
Well, you will still be able to go from 1 to 4th on your own, with the eliminator installed, you'll still get the notification that you "can only shift from 1st to 4th" but be able to ignore it.
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:18 AM   #8
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
I am glad thats just on the SS!! It would make since to have a track mode that disables it, probable a regulation that doesn't allow them to add that. I'm not very familiar with them as I've always driven the V6s heh. Seems like an anoying feture tho that's for sure.

Last edited by cartem2; 12-10-2015 at 04:33 AM.
cartem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartem2 View Post
I am glad thats just on the SS!! It would make since to have a track mode that disables it, probable a regulation that doesn't allow them to add that. I'm not very familiar with them as I've always driven the V6s heh. Seems like an anoying feture tho that's for sure.
While it would be nice, there would be no reason for GM to have it disabled in track mode since it will not activate during spirited driving. Only normally coming off the line from a stop and shifting at a normal rpm. If the car is under heavy acceleration or higher rpms, it doesn't activate.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
SkipNWis

COME on VENDORS ????? Somebody has got to want to sell them ?????
Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 AM   #11
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Wow... So I was wrong in thinking this comes into effect when you actually rev harder in the first gear.. I thought because you rev harder... ur engine has to work more ... meaning more fuel is consumed.. and to compensate for that .. it asks you to shift to 4th.. thereby dropping the revs and thus reducing the work the engine does... hmmm .. so it seems it kicks in when u r driving leisurely so that you can kick out more miles per gallon.. is this correct?
Old 12-11-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Wow... So I was wrong in thinking this comes into effect when you actually rev harder in the first gear.. I thought because you rev harder... ur engine has to work more ... meaning more fuel is consumed.. and to compensate for that .. it asks you to shift to 4th.. thereby dropping the revs and thus reducing the work the engine does... hmmm .. so it seems it kicks in when u r driving leisurely so that you can kick out more miles per gallon.. is this correct?
I don't remember the exact conditions skip shift comes into play but it's something on the order of the car being at a certain operating temp, the throttle being at a certain low percent when you shift from 1st.

Basically you have to have the car warmed up, and be accelerating at a very slow rate when you shift out of 1st. It does not totally prevent you from shifting to 2nd although the shifter 'will' move over to drop into 4th.
All you have to do is shift into neutral for a split second, then go ahead and put it into 2nd.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 AM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Gear Select - Skip Shift (CAGS)
To ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards, SECOND and THIRD gear are inhibited when shifting out of FIRST gear, under the following conditions:[*]Coolant temperature is above 50°C (122°F)[*]Vehicle speed is 20 - 29 km/h (12 - 19 mph)[*]Throttle is opened 35 percent or less
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
DevonK

Drives: TBD
In another thread I calculated the RPM you need to hit in first to avoid the skip shift - its damn low, barely over 2000 IIRC....
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote