Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
TexaST-1

Drives: Mostly GM
In My Point of View: This is stupid to me 1LE

My point of view is very focused on performance and to narrow that even further Road Racing or HPDE performance.

The 1LE answers that question and then the Z/28 next year.

Again this is my opinion and I am just curious what others think. I maybe too narrowly focused.

Why would anyone order a Sun Roof in a 1LE? It is wrong at every level for track use.

1. High weight actually raising the center of gravity
  2. Further reducing head room. At 6'1" I don't really clear the roof now with my helmet on. My helmetrf head is on the headline now.
  3. Most sanctioning bodies would require the removal and replacement with a metal skin anyway if you wanted to progress it into wheel to wheel.
I guess my point of view is how I view the intended use the car. It is not a drag car. It is a fine street car, but if is just being driven around on the street why pay the extra bucks for it. And Nav, what is that about?

I don't mean to bruise anyone's feeling, but I am curious to see if I am the only one who see it this way.
TexaST-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Not everyone is going to be hitting the track.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
TexaST-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Not everyone is going to be hitting the track.
I know and assume that, but what would the motivation to pay extra for what would be lightened and better handling version of the SS.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I have a 1LE and it is primarily a daily driver. Why pay the extra $3500 for the ZL1 wheels, great rubber improvement, upgarded suspension, interior mods and exterior mods?....Do I really have to answer that question? Seems like a no brianer that anybody WITH the money would be fool not to buy a 1LE....NOT the other way around.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
You seem to be answering your own question....Why would anybody buy a better looking, better performing version of an SS? The answer is in the question.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaST-1 View Post
My point of view is very focused on performance and to narrow that even further Road Racing or HPDE performance.

Again this is my opinion and I am just curious what others think. I maybe too narrowly focused.

Why would anyone order a Sun Roof in a 1LE? It is wrong at every level for track use.

1. High weight actually raising the center of gravity
  2. Further reducing head room. At 6'1" I don't really clear the roof now with my helmet on. My helmetrf head is on the headline now.
  3. Most sanctioning bodies would require the removal and replacement with a metal skin anyway if you wanted to progress it into wheel to wheel.
I guess my point of view is how I view the intended use the car. It is not a drag car. It is a fine street car, but if is just being driven around on the street why pay the extra bucks for it. And Nav, what is that about?

I don't mean to bruise anyone's feeling, but I am curious to see if I am the only one who see it this way.
Um this isnt a race car... it is a STREET car with some decent suspension not world class by any means.. Pedders or PFADT or anyone else outclass the 1LE suspension with ease..
99.9% of 1LEs will never see competitive class racing.

these are track day and autocross cars.
if you don't want those options then GUT it out with nothing but a 1SS package with no options..
however IMO why bother with that? find a messed up gutted 10.. rebuild it put the Pedders pacecar setup or above under it cage it.. and build for the track for FAR less than 44k.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
If i could go out and buy a new camaro right now it would be a Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE with the Sun roof. I have one in my 2LT and love it. I wouldn't take a 1LE much to a track but a few time might be fun. For me the 1LE is worth it for the wheels and the upgraded suspension and Rear end ratio.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
I know and assume that, but what would the motivation to pay extra for what would be lightened and better handling version of the SS.
because it fixes the stock SS's shortcomings for someone that isn't going to mod?
There are plenty of places with mountains and curves and country where people do drive a little more spirited. those mods would be welcome on any car..
530/520 SAE
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
TexaST-1

I guess my main question was really about the sun roof. I think a 1LE is an fantastic option! But I see it as being for more spirited driving and the adds weight and further reduces head room.

For street use give me a 2SS and the 1LE option.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Again this is my opinion and I am just curious what others think.
. . . . This ↓↓↓

Quote:
I maybe too narrowly focused.
FWIW, we've had sunroofs in three of our last five cars, and we still have two of those. As far as corner carving is concerned, the technical disadvantages are so slight as to be unnoticeable up to and including cornering that I'd peg at 6/10ths, sometimes maybe a bit more. I certainly don't drive them particularly easier because of the 'roof; that thought honestly doesn't even cross my mind.

I suspect that that's good enough for enough of the prospective 1LE customers to constitute a good business case for offering it there. Highly doubtful among the expected Z/28 customer base.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
If I could have afforded the head room, I would have gotten the sun roof on our 1LE. As others have said, all Camaro's currently made by GM are street cars. The 2014 Z/28 may stretch that, but everything through 2013 is a street car. For those who can't afford the ZL1, or want a bit better mileage than it can give, the 1LE is perfect, and can offer a great platform for entry into track time / autocross. You reach a point of compromise with track cars that renders them not so good as street cars. The 1LE is a nice balance of both worlds, no matter what options you choose.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
TexaST-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
. . . . This ↓↓↓

FWIW, we've had sunroofs in three of our last five cars, and we still have two of those. As far as corner carving is concerned, the technical disadvantages are so slight as to be unnoticeable up to and including cornering that I'd peg at 6/10ths, sometimes maybe a bit more. I certainly don't drive them particularly easier because of the 'roof; that thought honestly doesn't even cross my mind.

I suspect that that's good enough for enough of the prospective 1LE customers to constitute a good business case for offering it there. Highly doubtful among the expected Z/28 customer base.

Norm
Agreed. I am too narrowly focused. FWIW I also think the only Corvette to buy is a Z06.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
I guess my main question was really about the sun roof. I think a 1LE is an fantastic option! But I see it as being for more spirited driving and the adds weight and further reduces head room.

For street use give me a 2SS and the 1LE option.
I'm right at 5'11 borderline 6 foot and I have no issues with helmet clearance with the sunroof.

and the weight on a already fat heffer isnt anything that cant be overcome with more horsepower and torque..
and the spring days and summer evenings with the sunroof and windows down is priceless.

Mine isn't even a 1LE but soon with the Pedders complete make over (pace car package and a few more items) and new rear end that is needed anyway with 500+ HP that will cease to be a disadvantage and even more so when the power adder goes in.
I would not trade my Sunroof for anything.. except maybe a 800hp ZL1 Vert..
530/520 SAE
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
I know if I bought a 1LE it would have to have a sunroof... that's only because the misses likes em... If I had a say.. and that went out awhile ago... No way. But I can understand some people don't take it to the track and like a sunroof.. and others are in my boat haha