Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
ReVeNanTSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary EU
Question Diff Oil recommended but...

Hi guys!

I have a little wine sound from my rear end on speeds 80-100km/h. I know that manual says about 75W90 but I use thicker oil 75W140(Amsoil) for all my posi rear ends . Is it ok?

P.S.: We have a very hot summer here +38-42 degrees C (100-107 F)
ReVeNanTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Should not hurt, a little whine is nothing to worry about. Is it on decel or all the time?
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:13 AM   #3
ReVeNanTSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
Should not hurt, a little whine is nothing to worry about. Is it on decel or all the time?
It is on acceleration. When depressing acceleretion whine is gone.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:52 AM   #4
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeNanTSS View Post
It is on acceleration. When depressing acceleretion whine is gone.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is
usually caused by worn or burned ring and pinion gears or improper gear set
up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn
carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

I have 173,000 on my Camaro, and the diff is not making any noises. I probably
just jinxed that...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:57 AM   #5
ReVeNanTSS

Yes I know it is ring and pinion. Is it possible to change only ring pinion in future without changing pumpkin?
Old 08-22-2020, 04:12 AM   #6
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
It's actually 100% easier to change the whole unit, rather than taking it out,
taking it apart, and changing the ring and pinion gears, bearings, setting preload, and
spacing, putting it back together, then back in the car. You also have that marker
step where you mark the ring gear to check for proper gear mesh. That's another
pulling the cover off, looking, and if okay, back on and fluid fill again. The only
time you want to change the ring and pinion is when going with non standard gear
swaps, like something GM didn't offer...

The LX/LD Dodge Charger is the same way, they call it a carrier. Mine had a 2.89
carrier, I wanted better. For $50, +$50 shipping, I got a 3.64 carrier on eBay, and it
only took two hours to swap it. I was not going to pull it out, take it all apart,
change the ring and pinion with all the setting up, then put it back in. That would
have taken all day, and more money and labor. Naa, a whole unit swap was so
much faster and easier. If it becomes a concern, just buy another unit and pop it
in.

These usually do not go bad unless you're continually drag racing the car. There
is no shaft or differential up and down motion, so the pinion angle doesn't change
to put stress on the pinion gear. It's all relatively a straight shot. The only movement
you get is from bushings, and mount flexing. It's no where near a solid axle like my
Mustang has that swings up and down on a panhard rod. The diffs in these cars
should almost last forever under normal driving habits.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:14 AM   #7
ReVeNanTSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
It's actually 100% easier to change the whole unit, rather than taking it out,
taking it apart, and changing the ring and pinion gears, bearings, setting preload, and
spacing, putting it back together, then back in the car. You also have that marker
step where you mark the ring gear to check for proper gear mesh. That's another
pulling the cover off, looking, and if okay, back on and fluid fill again. The only
time you want to change the ring and pinion is when going with non standard gear
swaps, like something GM didn't offer...

The LX/LD Dodge Charger is the same way, they call it a carrier. Mine had a 2.89
carrier, I wanted better. For $50, +$50 shipping, I got a 3.64 carrier on eBay, and it
only took two hours to swap it. I was not going to pull it out, take it all apart,
change the ring and pinion with all the setting up, then put it back in. That would
have taken all day, and more money and labor. Naa, a whole unit swap was so
much faster and easier. If it becomes a concern, just buy another unit and pop it
in.

These usually do not go bad unless you're continually drag racing the car. There
is no shaft or differential up and down motion, so the pinion angle doesn't change
to put stress on the pinion gear. It's all relatively a straight shot. The only movement
you get is from bushings, and mount flexing. It's no where near a solid axle like my
Mustang has that swings up and down on a panhard rod. The diffs in these cars
should almost last forever under normal driving habits.
That means just change oil and foeget. When it whill break change all unit and go
Old 08-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Start by changing the fluid. Make sure is has the friction modifier in it.
These cars are noisy by nature.
You should hear the diff with aftermarket bushings.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
ReVeNanTSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Start by changing the fluid. Make sure is has the friction modifier in it.
These cars are noisy by nature.
You should hear the diff with aftermarket bushings.
I changed oil. Refill with Amsoil 75W140 severe gear plus added friction modifier Amsoil Slip Lock. Noise disappeared. Yes before i chanhed bushing to BMRs. Now i habe a little clunk in diff when puting D with brake pressed and little throttle added(Makes clunk 1 time). Then opposite gear in R same clunk 1 time
Old 08-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I just had to drain my first Diff change with Amsoil Severe Gear. I’m a huge Amsoil fan going back to the 80’s. But something about that and Redline’s LSD additive (all the store had) made it growl horribly after about 2 months and 3-500 miles. Only when turning... I thought it might like GM’s gear oil and additive so that’s what I put back in it. Quiet for now but I read it could return. The Amsoil was quiet at first too.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
there is a additive that's supposed to go in with the stock fluid BTW and without it may cause a whine...I would never use something not in the recommended grade as to void a warranty unless someone is very versed in the exact application and parts used for it... BTW
Old 08-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
there is a additive that's supposed to go in with the stock fluid BTW and without it may cause a whine...I would never use something not in the recommended grade as to void a warranty unless someone is very versed in the exact application and parts used for it... BTW
In the past, on my GM trucks, Amsoil was ALL that I used with diff oil changes. NO additives, zero problems over hundreds of thousands of miles. I think I went wrong with the Redline crap. I should have just stuck to the Amsoil. I get these cars are more like a fine, Swiss watch than my truck diffs. I just hope I didn't do permanent damage.

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 08-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
OEM Fluid has the additive in it already, but it seems the SS might need the additive. My service manual only covers the 2014, but I can check to see what it says and get back here.
Here's an older thread on the ZL1

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388177
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #14
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I am not a fan of changing gear oil the a thicker viscosity. It may cause poor lubrication of the clutches and chatter/groan. Will it hurt? not really. For every day driving I would stick with 75/90. If you are getting a whine you have wear. Likely the side carrier bearing has some play so when the diff is loaded it is pushing the carrier to the side changing the tooth contact pattern making the whine. Road course or towing is the only time I'd use 75/140 personally.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote