Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #1
JemSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 1993 Camaro Z28
Got a New Key Cut - it won't turn at all?

I ordered a new FOB on Amazon that came with a blank key. I had it cut today at a local hardware store.

I'm attempting to program it myself - however, the key won't turn at all. It will go into the ignition, but it won't even turn on the accessories.

I know it shouldn't start the car until it's program, but I need to be able to turn at least the accessories on to program it.

Was the key cut incorrectly? Wouldn't that mean it wouldn't go in at all?
JemSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Sounds like it wasn't cut correctly. They should allow you to return it for a recut...but now you don't have a blank.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:56 AM   #3
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
You still need a VALID key to program another key, unless you plan on resetting
VATS, which takes 30 minutes with an unprogrammed key, to program.

If you have a key, compare the cut with the one you just got. If all you did was
go by vin, then they messed it up. Compare it with another key, if you have one.
If they almost match, see where the inconsistency is, and see if they can correct
it.

Last edited by '10CamaroDude; 06-18-2020 at 06:05 PM.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
When you put the new key next your old working key and compare it, do they look the same?
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmanian View Post
When you put the new key next your old working key and compare it, do they look the same?
What a good idea, no one mentioned that.

Oh Wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
You still need a VALID key to program another key, unless you plan on resetting
VATS, which takes 30 minutes with an unprogrammed key, to program.

If you have a key, compare the cut with the one you just got. If all you did was
go by vin, then they messed it up. Compare it with another key, if you have one.
If they almost match, see where the inconsistency is, and see if they can correct
it.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Will it open the door?
Old 06-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
No need to get bent out of shape 10CamaroDude. We're all just trying to help.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
What a good idea, no one mentioned that.

Oh Wait...
A**hole of the year award goes to.....
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I would say him and greenhornet and VegasBound are some of the most active in providing good replies lately so I wouldn't be the one to call him a @@@ unless YOU are going out of your way to help people like that.

I've cut keys before. Often when they don't work it's because some spot was not cut enough, not that it was overcut. That means usually they can just run the same -not working- key through again and get it right without starting over on a new blank. Yeah other sht can happen like if you didn't get it sqare clamping it down so it's cut crooked or slipped and dug in some spot. Or really dumb like used the wrong blank.

Last edited by silversleeper; 06-18-2020 at 08:53 PM.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I would say him and greenhornet and VegasBound are some of the most active in providing good replies lately so I wouldn't be the one to call him a @@@ unless YOU are going out of your way to help people like that.
Did I say it wasn’t good advice? I didn’t think so. However all he had to say was something along the lines that he already mentioned that. Don’t get all butt hurt because someone said something smart to him when he made a smart comment. Get over it and scroll on.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #11
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Compare it to a key that works.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #12
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post

I've cut keys before. Often when they don't work it's because some spot was not cut enough, not that it was overcut. That means usually they can just run the same -not working- key through again and get it right without starting over on a new blank. Yeah other sht can happen like if you didn't get it sqare clamping it down so it's cut crooked or slipped and dug in some spot. Or really dumb like used the wrong blank.

Sorry to disappoint on this one, I had to be a smartass.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Sorry to disappoint on this one, I had to be a smartass.
You can go back to making your car faster now that is off your chest. Go compare your keys or something lol.

Speaking of dumb key mistakes is when a customer complains it doesn't work and you eventually figure out they gave you the wrong key to be duplicated. No sir that Honda Key won't fit in your Camaro...and watch their face turn red in embarassment.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:42 AM   #14
JemSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 1993 Camaro Z28
Thanks for the advice everyone.

The key would open the door. So I took it back for them to look at. They played with a bit but couldn't get it working.

Luckily, I found my old spare. So I just took the key from that and added it to the FOB. Works perfectly.
JemSS is offline   Reply With Quote