Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
RotoFab WW reservoir install w/CAI brand

Anyone install a Rotofab WW reservoir tank with a CAI brand and couldn't get the CAI lid back on? After removing the lid to install the tank I tried for a few hrs to get the lid back on but just couldn't get all the lid screws to catch I finally removed the tank and the lid fit back on no problem.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Should have bought the Apex WW reservoir and scoop. Easy install. Perfect fit.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Anyone install a Rotofab WW reservoir tank with a CAI brand and couldn't get the CAI lid back on? After removing the lid to install the tank I tried for a few hrs to get the lid back on but just couldn't get all the lid screws to catch I finally removed the tank and the lid fit back on no problem.
Sounds like you don't have the offset adapter to be used w/ the CAI inc intake. It is the white adapter w/ a 1/16" wall thickness black silicone hose covering half of it. If you have the all black silicone adapter, then that is the definitely culprit! If this is the case, give Jennifer a call at the shop and tell her you need a "CAI adapter" and we will get you one sent out.

Thanks,
Jeremiah
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Sounds like you don't have the offset adapter to be used w/ the CAI inc intake. It is the white adapter w/ a 1/16" wall thickness black silicone hose covering half of it. If you have the all black silicone adapter, then that is the definitely culprit! If this is the case, give Jennifer a call at the shop and tell her you need a "CAI adapter" and we will get you one sent out.

Thanks,
Jeremiah
^^^^^

This is one of the MANY reasons why Roto-fab freaking rocks! Quick response and quick solution to the problem!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
joeram44

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I had the same problem and wound up trimming as well.
joeram44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Well I had no problem with mine.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeram44 View Post
I had the same problem and wound up trimming as well.
Where abouts on the lid did you trim? Did you use the special offset stud adapter?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #8
camguynj

Quote:

Thanks,
Jeremiah
Thanks for the reply but I do have the special black & white CAI offset stud adaptor installed & aligned per the instruction pic. Heard from another guy with the same problem, he wound up trimming 2 inches of rubber trim off the lid cover. That's what I may have to resort to as I've already tried repositioning the box itself. Can you let me know if it's possible to install the reservoir tank with the CAI lid on?

5/23 update - I peeled back (not cut) about 2" of the lid trim starting at the corner near the logo emblem side and FINALLY got the screws to seat & lock I hoping after a few days I'll be able to shove the trim back on enough so it doesn't just lay loose. I have a feeling that you just have to be lucky and get the offset adaptor in just the exact precise millimeter position when you screw it down to enable the lid to align up to seat without trimming. After all RotoFab didn't make the special offset adaptor just for the CAI brand lid for no reason!

Last edited by camguynj; 05-23-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
BLU DUCE

spike III Build IBM 1SS/RS [COTW] 6/25/12

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but I do have the special black & white CAI offset stud adaptor installed & aligned per the instruction pic. Heard from another guy with the same problem, he wound up trimming 2 inches of rubber trim off the lid cover. That's what I may have to resort to as I've already tried repositioning the box itself. Can you let me know if it's possible to install the reservoir tank with the CAI lid on?
Which RotoFab washer tank do you have? I put the CAI in first then the Washer tank and they don't touch each other. And I didn't have to trim the CAI cover at all.
Click on my build and go to the last page for pics.

Last edited by BLU DUCE; 05-23-2016 at 07:45 AM.
BLU DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Which RotoFab washer tank do you have? I put the CAI in firt then the Washer tank and the don't touch each other. And I didn't have to trim the CAI cover at all.
Click on my build and go to the last page for pics.
I have the first version Rotofab WW kit with the special stud adaptor for the CAI brand. The install instructions call for removing the CAI brand lid before attaching the tank. I've had the CAI installed for 3yrs and have removed & reattached the lid several times without any problem.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
BLU DUCE

Quote:
I have the first version Rotofab WW kit with the special stud adaptor for the CAI brand. The install instructions call for removing the CAI brand lid before attaching the tank. I've had the CAI installed for 3yrs and have removed & reattached the lid several times without any problem.
When putting the lid on.Take the front part of the lid and push under the lip on the front of the car at the same time move it to the right & push under the right fender rail. It should work very easy. Just took mine off and put back on went back on no problem.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
BLU DUCE

Quote:
Your garage says you have a Volant cai. I'm having the problem with the CAI brand cai.
I had a Volant. But now a CAI this is the reason why I said to check my build out. It shows on the last page of my build with up dated list and pic. of what I just done to my car this winter. The Volant doesn't have a cover on it.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
I did read that you installed the kit per our instructions, but would like to make sure that the offset adapter is clocked so the bulk of the adapter is towards the firewall. This should place the tank 1/8" to 3/16" farther towards the firewall than our standard stud adapter which is drilled and tapped in the center. That is a very important step for correct fitment.
If you have done this, the tank is mounted as designed.
If interference still exists, you may try loosening the mounting nut of the air box and pushing the back of the air box towards the front of the car, then tightening the nut.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
camguynj

Quote:
I did read that you installed the kit per our instructions, but would like to make sure that the offset adapter is clocked so the bulk of the adapter is towards the firewall. This should place the tank 1/8" to 3/16" farther towards the firewall than our standard stud adapter which is drilled and tapped in the center. That is a very important step for correct fitment.
If you have done this, the tank is mounted as designed.
If interference still exists, you may try loosening the mounting nut of the air box and pushing the back of the air box towards the front of the car, then tightening the nut.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated ! I clocked the stud adapter according to the instruction pic (which shows the line on the bulk side of the adaptor pointing towards the bottom of the positive battery terminal cap). Like I said I have a feeling that you just to get the offset adaptor in just the exact precise position (maybe the bulk side pointing directly at the firewall) when you screw it down to enable the lid to align up and to seat.