The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Pulled the trigger here she is

Hi everyone thanks for your input I fly out to Oregon to pick her up tomorrow ! So glad I got the exact match in manual I wanted .

Wanted to ask theft devices ? Does everyone like revalco? Or even coplock? What do you think about the land sea air real time gps ? I sometimes am in deep in sf and lots of thefts any input greatly appreciated !
Attached Images

formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
STINGmole

Drives: 2016 Arctic White Stingray
Congratulations on the car!! If you're driving back from Oregon, did you arrange to get the 500 mile oil change on your way back?
STINGmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGmole View Post
Congratulations on the car!! If you're driving back from Oregon, did you arrange to get the 500 mile oil change on your way back?

They never mentioned it ! Anything else about the break in I should know ?
Old 07-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
STINGmole

Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
They never mentioned it ! Anything else about the break in I should know ?
Don't rev it above (I think) 3500 RPM until the 500 mile mark. When you hit 500 miles the graphic on the sport dash display will unlock and the redline will go to 6500 RPM. It'll get "angry" with you and flash yellow or red if you rev too high before then.

I was thinking it'd be an issue driving from Portland to SF (I've done that drive a few times and thought it was around 1000 miles) but I guess it's only 650 miles...so you wouldn't be TOO far past 500 if you got it done ASAP when you get home. The 500 mile oil change is only on the Z51, and due to the 'issues' people have been having with it getting overfilled, I'd recommend avoiding Jiffy Lube or Oil Can Henrys and taking it to the Chevy dealership...the first 3 oil changes are free.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
It should be 4 oil changes PLUS the 500 mile break-in. Also, on my '08 Z51 & '16 Z06 my dealers told me to NOT run cruise until after it was broken in.
Nice car.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
STINGmole

I think they changed it for 2016. Two oil changes on the base model, and three for the Z51 and Z06 because they have the additional 500 mile oil change.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
When I picked up my '16 Z06 on 7/13/15 they told me 2 yrs / 4 oil changes in addition to the 500mi break in change. I had the 500mile change done and then in Jan 16 I had the 1st regular change done at 2100 mi. and 6 months. They never questioned or mentioned the miles or % used at that time. To be fair to the dealer, mine was the 1st '16 they received and they were still waiting on some '15s so maybe they were not aware of the change or maybe it had not yet been announced.
If it's actually 4 changes over 2 years, I need to get one scheduled in the next 2 weeks. It would be nice to get their policy in writing but I have not been able to do so yet. Guess I'll contact Customer care on Tuesday.
Thanks
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #8
STINGmole

Hmmmm. Let me know if you find out that it is applicable to the 2016 model. That's what mine is, but I was told it was two oil changes (for the base model) or three for the Z51/Z06.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
formoutofchaos

Need input here - I got to car without mag ride the salesman kind of pushed me away from it because it was the exact color combo I wanted . On the ride home when I was really digging in I did get some wheel spin ... I can't help but to feel the car is designed for magride and I feel bummed I didn't do more research ... Is it that much better digging into turns ? I am in California roads are great so I don't mind potholes but performance is what I care about -- everywhere people say they would never ever get a z51 without magride ? That they would trade it in immediately and get a 2017 ordered ?????? Lol
Old 07-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
STINGmole

How is mag ride going to help with wheelspin?

Less horsepower, a stickier road surface, improved driver input, reduced weight, and better tires would do the most to help in my opinion. I'm pretty sure you don't want less horsepower, and you can't really control the roads. Obviously weather conditions and tire temp play a role as well and you can't control those. That leaves you with the option to upgrade the tire/wheels (if even realistic or possible) or improve the driver. Maybe you need to learn to drift and use that wheelspin to your advantage! ha ha! Maybe a non-runflat tire would give a little more sidewall compliance and help with traction?

This is just personal opinion based on my experience with wheels and tires...and it's not what you want to hear...but...I bet I get better traction in my base 1LT due to the smaller diameter wheels (with larger sidewall tires). I've gone from smaller wheels to larger wheels with lower profile tires on more than one occasion, only to be disappointed by reduced traction and increased wheelspin...but the larger wheels DO look cooler! Again, this is just my non scientific personal experience speaking. Maybe there's a scientific reason that wider sidewalls would grip better? I know a #2 pencil eraser doesn't seem to grip the paper as well when it gets worn down close to the metal and the 'sidewall' is shorter...

The reason people say they wouldn't get a z51 without mag ride has more to do with ride quality/comfort than handling or wheel spin. Some think the stock Z51 suspension can be harsh over poor quality roads, and that harshness can be reduced by the mag ride system.

Anyway, it sounds like you're enjoying the car!!
Old 07-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGmole View Post
How is mag ride going to help with wheelspin?

Less horsepower, a stickier road surface, improved driver input, reduced weight, and better tires would do the most to help in my opinion. I'm pretty sure you don't want less horsepower, and you can't really control the roads. Obviously weather conditions and tire temp play a role as well and you can't control those. That leaves you with the option to upgrade the tire/wheels (if even realistic or possible) or improve the driver. Maybe you need to learn to drift and use that wheelspin to your advantage! ha ha! Maybe a non-runflat tire would give a little more sidewall compliance and help with traction?

This is just personal opinion based on my experience with wheels and tires...and it's not what you want to hear...but...I bet I get better traction in my base 1LT due to the smaller diameter wheels (with larger sidewall tires). I've gone from smaller wheels to larger wheels with lower profile tires on more than one occasion, only to be disappointed by reduced traction and increased wheelspin...but the larger wheels DO look cooler! Again, this is just my non scientific personal experience speaking. Maybe there's a scientific reason that wider sidewalls would grip better? I know a #2 pencil eraser doesn't seem to grip the paper as well when it gets worn down close to the metal and the 'sidewall' is shorter...

The reason people say they wouldn't get a z51 without mag ride has more to do with ride quality/comfort than handling or wheel spin. Some think the stock Z51 suspension can be harsh over poor quality roads, and that harshness can be reduced by the mag ride system.

Anyway, it sounds like you're enjoying the car!!
Great answer !!!!! So mag ride does not improve performance on track ? People say well Ferrari uses it and Shelby so it's all about better reaction time ???

If your saying better tires is the way to go than that's all I need ! I just felt like half the car was designed for magride w the modes like the car was designed for it

A few pics from my trip !
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #12
STINGmole

I'm not saying it doesn't help performance, but I don't think it can be blamed as the definitive reason why you're losing traction. What are the details of your traction loss? While applying throttle? What speed? On uneven road surfaces? Did you defeat traction control and stabilitrack?

Magnetic ride might help you stay planted on irregular surfaces, but I don't see how it could prevent wheelspin caused by throttle or lack of adhesion.

Nice pics BTW. -Looks great!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
formoutofchaos

Wheel spin upon 1st gear take off on uneven road speeds of 60 with hard launch just wondering if mag ride does help with that ? Or was it the road and am temps of maybe 65