Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
trj

Drives: 2006 Z06
Help me get the Zl1 1LE

Ok Im not trying to start a fire here. Just working through my next street/track car purchase. Looking at the GT350 R and the ZL1 1LE.

I love the look and feel of the Z as I saw it at the Rolex 24 last weekend. Prices on the car are good. Performance is insane. BUT feedback on reviews reports terrible street behavior and in my opinion 3800 lbs is way too heavy for the track. So is it just me or did Chevy build a car that really does not have a fit here?

My next questions is how much weight can be stripped out of the ZL1 1LE without going bonkers??? Yes a roll bar will have to be added back in.

Thanks
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
if you can deal with a little bit stiffer ride on the street and you want a better performing car in all aspects get the zl1 1le. if you want a little nicer ride on the street and willing to sacrifice performance get the gt350r
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Not really an apples to apples comparison. The ZL1 1LE runs with Ford GT’s. The 350 will be a significant performance drop.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
trj

ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Not really an apples to apples comparison. The ZL1 1LE runs with Ford GT’s. The 350 will be a significant performance drop.
I agree, totally not even in the same ball park on the track.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Regular ZL1 M6 with the 1LE aero added to it, rear seat removed, and some lightweight alloy wheels for the track if you want 1LE but street comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Ok Im not trying to start a fire here. Just working through my next street/track car purchase. Looking at the GT350 R and the ZL1 1LE.

I love the look and feel of the Z as I saw it at the Rolex 24 last weekend. Prices on the car are good. Performance is insane. BUT feedback on reviews reports terrible street behavior and in my opinion 3800 lbs is way too heavy for the track. So is it just me or did Chevy build a car that really does not have a fit here?

My next questions is how much weight can be stripped out of the ZL1 1LE without going bonkers??? Yes a roll bar will have to be added back in.

Thanks
I think a lot of people bought them for looks and bragging rights before they really understood the intent of the car. It is, and Chevy states it, a car for track enthusiasts. That a lot of people bought them thinking it would be a good DD is likely the reason it gets "terrible street behavior" remarks.

The car fits right at home on a track, not on crappy, potholed and patched streets that the average driver puts up with.

Concur, 3800 lbs is heavy for a track car but it could be lightened if you're serious (is this the "fit" you're referring too?). As some guys on here have done, first place I'd go would be to reduce the underslung weight, put the wheels on a diet and it will liven up the ride on the track quite a bit.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Kyle M

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Kyle M Send a message via MSN to Kyle M Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle M Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle M
Quote:

Thanks
Curious what "terrible street behavior" means? Sure the ride is stiff, but it's far from what I would consider terrible. As others mention, you could opt for a regular ZL1 and add the 1LE aero and do some weight reduction.

I think the ZL1's and ZL1 1LE's track times speak for themselves. For the price, you will not find a more dominant track platform...3800 lbs or not.
Kyle M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
trj

ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M View Post
Curious what "terrible street behavior" means? Sure the ride is stiff, but it's far from what I would consider terrible. As others mention, you could opt for a regular ZL1 and add the 1LE aero and do some weight reduction.

I think the ZL1's and ZL1 1LE's track times speak for themselves. For the price, you will not find a more dominant track platform...3800 lbs or not.
Thanks Kyle I am glad to hear you think the street ride is tolerable. My cars are only used for short burst of street fun and track. Unfortunately there are not a lot of dealers offering test rides.......
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Thanks
GT350R (without tech pack) is 3713. Camaro is 3820-some (and it's loaded lux-style)...Both cars have the same weight balance characteristics. So in my humble opinion, this is really a non-issue. Except the ZL1 1LE is going to be pushing with 124 more horsepower, and 221 more lb/ft torque. Furthermore, I can attest to the fact that the way they've got the suspension setup on an already superior chassis - it hides and handles the weight well. Just like Gen 5 (but way better), you'd never know this car was 3800 lbs.

Another quick thought on weight...the suspension components (DSSV) are much lighter than the MR the GT350R uses...this will result in the same sort of nimble-responsiveness to changes in the road surface that the GT350R benefits from its wheels. Except the Camaro removed the weight from the working components of its suspension.

Street behavior? It's like any other M6 ZL1 except for a couple differences - the ride is a little stiffer than "Track" mode in ZL1, but stiffer doesn't mean "harsh"...it's just...stiff, not painful. The only other street manners consideration is the front splitter...you should raise the shock heigh adjustments to full-high for street driving. That all said - I drive mine daily during the summer, when conditions allow (the Goodyear 3R tires are DOT R-comps, just like Pilot Cups...they don't like heavy rain).

If you wanted to dump weight...you could start by swapping the heated, cooled, powered seats with Recaro or Sparco shells. And remove the rear seat....might be looking at 65-80 lbs there, depending on what you put back in.

Then there's adjustability. Chevy designed the front struts to be adjusted for height...they included a camber plate for radical amounts of front camber...the rear stab bar has adjustments for under/oversteer...and the driving modes can fiddle with the weight of the steering. Alignment bolts, etc are very simple and easy to use. I have been told by someone attempting to align a Mustang GT350R that it's a b!tch; and a lot of cars out on the track are likely misaligned because of it. This particular person saw an amateur GT350R driver (consistent before and after) drop 5 seconds off his track times after a proper alignment because how it was to begin with was so bad.

Read some reviews...watch some videos. The ZL1 1LE is the superior track car, in virtually every single way.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
Kyle M

Send a message via AIM to Kyle M Send a message via MSN to Kyle M Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle M Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle M
Quote:
Thanks Kyle I am glad to hear you think the street ride is tolerable. My cars are only used for short burst of street fun and track. Unfortunately there are not a lot of dealers offering test rides.......
Understand that. And to be fair, I've been street driving my track cars for years so I'm more desensitized than others may be. I've never once gotten out of the ZL1 1LE and said "this sucks". It's usually grins.

Wish you were closer so I could offer you a test drive. I think it would help make your decision easier to buy one.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
Kyle M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
GT350R (without tech pack) is 3713. Camaro is 3820-some (and it's loaded lux-style)...Both cars have the same weight balance characteristics. So in my humble opinion, this is really a non-issue. Except the ZL1 1LE is going to be pushing with 124 more horsepower, and 221 more lb/ft torque. Furthermore, I can attest to the fact that the way they've got the suspension setup on an already superior chassis - it hides and handles the weight well. Just like Gen 5 (but way better), you'd never know this car was 3800 lbs.

Street behavior? It's like any other M6 ZL1 except for a couple differences - the ride is a little stiffer than "Track" mode in ZL1, but stiffer doesn't mean "harsh"...it's just...stiff, not painful. The only other street manners consideration is the front splitter...you should raise the shock heigh adjustments to full-high for street driving. That all said - I drive mine daily during the summer, when conditions allow (the Goodyear 3R tires are DOT R-comps, just like Pilot Cups...they don't like heavy rain).

If you wanted to dump weight...you could start by swapping the heated, cooled, powered seats with Recaro or Sparco shells. And remove the rear seat....might be looking at 65-80 lbs there, depending on what you put back in.

Read some reviews...watch some videos. The ZL1 1LE is the superior track car, in virtually every single way.
This
Old 02-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Let’s just say at the track I blow away GT-R’s.
Attached Images

Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #13
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Thanks

Not exactly the same, but there is a 5th gen SS drift car that was featured in an old camaro now magazine. They got the car down to 2800 lbs.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #14
trj

ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8ion View Post
Let’s just say at the track I blow away GT-R’s.
Beautiful car!