Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Neorift

Drives: 2018 2.0T
Installing the factory dark tail lamps

I ordered a set of the dark tail lamps from GM and was wanting to know if I will run into any issues installing them on my car.

It's an "LT" so it does not have LED tails from the factory. Is there anything else I need to do to be sure the tail lights work on my car? Or are they just plug and play?

Last edited by Neorift; 03-19-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: a word
Neorift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
There are lots of videos of the procedure. It's easy. It's like 4 pop up plastic pins and 3 bolts. The biggest problem is not scratching up the plastic covers when removing the pins.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Neorift

Thanks. I'm fine with the actual changing of the parts but was concerned I may need something to have them function normally since they're LED, unlike the stock ones.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
mikey1107

Drives: 2017 SS
Installing the factory dark tail lamps

The GM dark lights are not LED. They use the same bulbs as your OE lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
camex

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neorift View Post
Thanks. I'm fine with the actual changing of the parts but was concerned I may need something to have them function normally since they're LED, unlike the stock ones.
I think you need this part, ask them for more detail.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...light-Harness/
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
mikey1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by camex View Post
I think you need this part, ask them for more detail.

That is a harness for adding LED backup light bulbs. None of the GM OE tail lights or accessory black lights are LED. Nothing is needed to install them on a stock car

Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
mikey1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neorift View Post
I ordered a set of the dark tail lamps from GM and was wanting to know if I will run into any issues installing them on my car.

It's an "LT" so it does not have LED tails from the factory. Is there anything else I need to do to be sure the tail lights work on my car? Or are they just plug and play?

Watch this...

http://youtu.be/9JKJmkfnO6c

Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
The lower trim model tailights are non-led. RS and other models have led tailights (If you have led eyebrow and hid headlights, you have led tailights). They will have hyper blinkers if you are non-led and install them, you will need the harness from gen5diy.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92291067.html
Upgrade to Black your Camaro Tail Lights with these Blacked Out LED TailLamps. These OEM Direct Replacement TailLights are easy to install and change the entire look of the rear of your 6GEN (2016+) Camaro. Made by Chevrolet, this darkened rear tail light kit includes a pair of rear tail lights and Installation Instructions (available here). These lights fit 6GEN Camaros (2016+) LS and LT models with the RS Package and ALL 1SS, 2SS and ZL1 models. The models listed include both Convertible and Coupe. The RS and SS models listed above all have HID head lights (RPO T4F) which includes LED taillights. If you add these LED taillights to Camaros WITHOUT standard LED taillights from the factory, you will experience a fast blink with your turn signals.

How Can I tell if my Camaro has LED Taillight?
If your Camaro is an SS or ZL1 or has an RS logo/badge on the front grille, your Camaro has the proper LED Taillights for this upgrade. The most accurate way to confirm your Camaro has the correct lighting system is to look at the RPO sticker located in the trunk under the floor cover. The silver stick labeled "SERVICE PARTS IDENTIFICATION" will list RPO Code T4F (HID Headlights) which accepts this GM Accessory Alternative Finish (Blacked Out) Taillight Kit.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
Neorift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1107 View Post
The GM dark lights are not LED. They use the same bulbs as your OE lights.

Are you sure? The parts guy said they were LED like the SS.

Not trying to be rude, just want to be sure.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Neorift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
The lower trim model tailights are non-led. RS and other models have led tailights (If you have led eyebrow and hid headlights, you have led tailights). They will have hyper blinkers if you are non-led and install them, you will need the harness from gen5diy.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92291067.html
Upgrade to Black your Camaro Tail Lights with these Blacked Out LED TailLamps. These OEM Direct Replacement TailLights are easy to install and change the entire look of the rear of your 6GEN (2016+) Camaro. Made by Chevrolet, this darkened rear tail light kit includes a pair of rear tail lights and Installation Instructions (available here). These lights fit 6GEN Camaros (2016+) LS and LT models with the RS Package and ALL 1SS, 2SS and ZL1 models. The models listed include both Convertible and Coupe. The RS and SS models listed above all have HID head lights (RPO T4F) which includes LED taillights. If you add these LED taillights to Camaros WITHOUT standard LED taillights from the factory, you will experience a fast blink with your turn signals.

How Can I tell if my Camaro has LED Taillight?
If your Camaro is an SS or ZL1 or has an RS logo/badge on the front grille, your Camaro has the proper LED Taillights for this upgrade. The most accurate way to confirm your Camaro has the correct lighting system is to look at the RPO sticker located in the trunk under the floor cover. The silver stick labeled "SERVICE PARTS IDENTIFICATION" will list RPO Code T4F (HID Headlights) which accepts this GM Accessory Alternative Finish (Blacked Out) Taillight Kit.
Thanks, this looks like what I need to know.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
That is a harness for adding LED backup light bulbs. None of the GM OE tail lights or accessory black lights are LED. Nothing is needed to install them on a stock car

This is wrong. They are LED, except for the reverse lighting (there are aftermarket kits to convert these as well).

You will probably need the Gen5DIY harness as noted by others.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
mikey1107

I apologize, I was mistaken.
My lights plugged in with no modifications and I assumed they were halogen bulbs but I have an SS so that explains why.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
Zophix

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT I4 Black
Yes, they will cause a hyperflash when you use your turn signal but you can install them and still use them without the harness. The turn signal will be normal for the first 3 blinks then become a hyperflash. The hazard lights will blink normally.

If you do choose to get the harness you'll have two resistors that you need to heat sink. If you don't heat sink both resistors one could end up constantly pulling power from the battery (that's what happened with me) even when the vehicle is not running, leaving you with a dead battery the next time you try to start it.

Otherwise, without the resistors they are plug and play and will work normally with the exception of the turn signal.
Zophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
I apologize, I was mistaken.
My lights plugged in with no modifications and I assumed they were halogen bulbs but I have an SS so that explains why.
No big deal. and technically he CAN install them plug and play, he will just have a hyperflash issue until the resistor kit is installed I think. My reverse LEDs I put in would have a faint glow all the time without the kit.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark, tail light