Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Taillight Tint

I was wondering what tail light tint I should get, BigWormGraphix or Headlight Armor? Also when you install them, do you have to remove the bezels? And one last thing, how many people actually get pulled over for tinted tail lights? Thanks

Edit: Finished product

Stock vs Smoke

Stock vs Smoke w/Lights

Smoke

Smoke w/Lights

Last edited by cnrad; 11-21-2011 at 04:17 PM.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
twentytwelvebee

Drives: 2012/2ss "transformers edition"
i just ordered mine from bigworm, i think they are the charcoal tint for the tails and headlights. i'm out of the country right now but i hope to have them installed by the weekend. as far as being pulled over, i think that will depend on the po po and how dark they are. bigworm has a DIY install vid on the website for the taillight install and you dont have to remove the bezels.
twentytwelvebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
chauffe performance....great customer service.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Post Headlight Armor Smoked Taillight Kits for your Camaro

Our kits are designed to be installed with the lights and bezels in place on the vehicle. Removing the bezels and or the lights themselves will make the install a lot harder / impossible to align.

More information in our vendor thread here
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I have headlight armors stealth smoke (20%) and I've NEVER been pulled over. Had the tint for going on a year and a half now.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwelvebee View Post
i just ordered mine from bigworm, i think they are the charcoal tint for the tails and headlights. i'm out of the country right now but i hope to have them installed by the weekend. as far as being pulled over, i think that will depend on the po po and how dark they are. bigworm has a DIY install vid on the website for the taillight install and you dont have to remove the bezels.
You pretty much answered all my questions so thanks on that lol . I totally forgot that bigworm had their own install video so thanks for reminding me of that, seems like their product is really easy to install. And yeah you're right, getting pulled over for tint does depend on who the cop is and how they are feeling lol, I guess I'll just have to hope that every cop I see is in a good mood. Well thanks again and I hope you get back safely, let us know how the tinting goes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
chauffe performance....great customer service.
Yeah I saw chauffe's but I didn't like that it said trimming is involved, don't really want to have to trim anything off, it should be the correct size when I buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
Our kits are designed to be installed with the lights and bezels in place on the vehicle. Removing the bezels and or the lights themselves will make the install a lot harder / impossible to align.

More information in our vendor thread here
Cool, well that's good to know , and yes removing the bezels would make the install much harder lol. So are your guys' product basically cut to the size and shape of the taillight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I have headlight armors stealth smoke (20%) and I've NEVER been pulled over. Had the tint for going on a year and a half now.

Looks great! And I like to hear that you've never been pulled over for them, especially since they are the darkest ones. How was the install? Was it super easy?
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
i have the 30% charcoal from bigW and its black as hell, BUT i have LED replacemnt tail lights so they are visible. i dought very much the charcoal will emit much light with stock lamps.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Install is SUPER easy, basically if you can put a sticker on a piece of paper you can do these.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
HeadlightArmor

Cool Headlight Armor smoked taillight kits for Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRoyalFlush View Post
Cool, well that's good to know , and yes removing the bezels would make the install much harder lol. So are your guys' product basically cut to the size and shape of the taillight?

Looks great! And I like to hear that you've never been pulled over for them, especially since they are the darkest ones. How was the install? Was it super easy?
Yes the kits are cut for the taillight, they are designed to align with or just under the bezel. The reverse lights (free with the taillight kit) fully tucks behind the bumper cover. As far as taillights go they are about the easiest application we have. If you have big hands the fact that the lights are recessed is likely the biggest challenge.

20% Dark Stealth Smoke on non RS Taillights

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
i have the 30% charcoal from bigW and its black as hell, BUT i have LED replacemnt tail lights so they are visible. i dought very much the charcoal will emit much light with stock lamps.
We have night testing of the taillight kits on the site here for reference.

1000 feet / 305 meters : Running Lights - Left 20% Dark Stealth Smoke - Right Stock -Stock non-LED taillights
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
HeadlightArmor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Install is SUPER easy, basically if you can put a sticker on a piece of paper you can do these.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
My Next mod.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
HeadlightArmor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
My Next mod.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Just FYI , If you alter your tail lights in any way that is not DOT compliant, it is illegal. Therefore, if someone ever rear ends you (godforbid), you will be found to be a fault due to the fact that the other person can say that they didn't see your tail lights. I was told this from a close friend of the family that is a police officer. So therefore, even though the accident may not be your fault, and (let's say) you get seriously hurt, your still SOL. Your car is messed up, the other persons too, your injured, your insurance company has to pay to fix both cars, and the other person can still SUE you. A Lot at risk, just for some tail light tint. I think I'll just leave mine stock from the factory. Just FYI. Certain mods you just shouldn't do.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
FEDERAL
MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETY STANDARDS
AND REGULATIONS

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC
SAFETY ADMINISTRATION

SAFETY ASSURANCE

OFFICE OF VEHICLE SAFETY COMPLIANCE

400 7TH STREET, SW
ROOM 6111
MAIL CODE: NSA-30
WASHINGTON, DC 20590

Standard No. 108 - Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and Motorcycles (Effective 1-1-68 for vehicles 2,032 mrn (80 or more inches) in width and Effective 1-1-69 for all other vehicles)
This standard specifies requirements for original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. Its purpose is to reduce traffic crashes and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic crashes, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tail light, tail light tint, taillight, taillight tint, tint