Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
Neorift

Drives: 2018 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zophix View Post
Yes, they will cause a hyperflash when you use your turn signal but you can install them and still use them without the harness. The turn signal will be normal for the first 3 blinks then become a hyperflash. The hazard lights will blink normally.

If you do choose to get the harness you'll have two resistors that you need to heat sink. If you don't heat sink both resistors one could end up constantly pulling power from the battery (that's what happened with me) even when the vehicle is not running, leaving you with a dead battery the next time you try to start it.

Otherwise, without the resistors they are plug and play and will work normally with the exception of the turn signal.
Good info! Why would adding a heat sink stop them pulling current all the time? Would adding the LED backup lights eliminate the problem?

Also, if all the harness adds is resistors would it not be simpler (and cheaper) to simply add resistors in-line with the factory wiring?
Neorift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
SR 33

Drives: 2016 1LT - SIM
Yes, I ended up just wiring my own resistors onto the taillights rather than buying the harness. Cost like $10 I think and has worked great. I could sketch up a diagram if you’d like? It took two resistors on each side
SR 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
Neorift

Drives: 2018 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR 33 View Post
Yes, I ended up just wiring my own resistors onto the taillights rather than buying the harness. Cost like $10 I think and has worked great. I could sketch up a diagram if you’d like? It took two resistors on each side
That would be great actually. What ohm resistors do I need?
Neorift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #18
SR 33

These are the resistors I bought: https://www.amazon.com/4Pcs-Aaron-6o.../dp/B00L4V9ECY

Here’s a rough idea of how to do it, I’m not very artistic. Just used a test light to figure out which pins were the signal wires. Guess and check showed that the ground for the turn signal was opposite corner from the signal pin. Then just run two resistors in series between the two turn signal wires. Hope this helps

Last edited by SR 33; 03-20-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #19
camex

Drives: Sold
Quote:
These are the resistors I bought: 4Pcs Aaron 50W 6ohm Load Resistors

Here’s a rough idea of how to do it, I’m not very artistic. Just used a test light to figure out which pins were the signal wires. Guess and check showed that the ground for the turn signal was opposite corner from the signal pin. Then just run two resistors in series between the two turn signal wires. Hope this helps

Is this resistors kit?

https://www.amazon.com/4Pcs-Aaron-6o.../dp/B00L4V9ECY
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #20
SR 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by camex View Post
Oops. Yeah that’s it. I’ll fix the link in my post
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
These are the resistors I bought: https://www.amazon.com/4Pcs-Aaron-6o.../dp/B00L4V9ECY

Went a similar route for the LED conversion in our WS6. Worked like a charm, and still going strong a year later.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #22
tiberius183

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Ok, I apparently overlooked this bit of information...unfortunately not until AFTER I bought the tail lights (and 3rd brake light, which let me tell you was a pain in the ASS...) and installed them. I was just going to live with the hyper-flashing (actually thought it looked kinda cool), but, at one point during the installation process, both my remote start and my factory alarm stopped working, and I noticed the tail lights started flickering and then cut out. And on my initial test drive, I noticed my radio cutting out intermittently for a split-second at a time This definitely worried me...

After running the engine for a couple minutes and taking it for another spin around the block, everything seemed to be working again. But it's definitely disconcerting that these lights would produce THAT kind of battery drain (I mean, aren't LEDs supposed to use LESS power than regular bulbs?).

After reading this thread, needless to say I ordered the harness from Gen5DIY ASAP, hopefully (from what it sounds like) that should remedy the issue. In the meantime, going to be driving around with anything unnecessary (radio, fan, AC, etc.) turned off...
tiberius183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #23
Mr.DoubleB

Drives: 2018 1LE/LS
Not to thread jack but figured I'd ask here instead of starting another thread.

I have a LS 1LE on order and plan on getting the dark tail and third brake light.

Will I need to buy the harness for Gen5diy? Or does the 1LE package give you the RS lights?
Mr.DoubleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #24
tiberius183

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camex View Post
I think you need this part, ask them for more detail.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...light-Harness/
Availability says Pre-Order. Anyone have an idea of when it'll be back in stock? Or, is it really available and they just never updated that?
tiberius183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #25
metwaru

Drives: 2016 I-4 2.0
Hey guys I just took my car out of storage and the right side is hyper flashing, couldn’t the resistors go bad? I used the gen5 harness

Thanks

Tags
dark, tail light