The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #1485
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
It

^Sorry my 9mo daughter decided to chime in. Lol
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #1486
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 662 bhp is an SAE certified number.

I don't believe you can underrate the engine and advertise an SAE certification.

Otherwise, why not just leave the rating at 650 bhp? What would Ford really gain by uprating it to 662 bhp, yet still leaving it underrated?

Again, I'm pretty sure for SAE certified numbers the manufacturer has to advertise a number within a tight range of what the third-party observer also witnesses, but I'm not totally positive on that.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #1487
BATMAN!
Banned

Drives: Corvette, F350, Durango but no svt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That was a crappy video on a crappy dyno with zero results shown.
Here it is.

http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6...led/index.html
BATMAN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #1488
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Who The **** cares about the dyno numbers when we already know what it runs in the 1/4 and we know the SAE HP.

The only reason to care is if you want a base line to use for upgrades which you wouldn't go off of someone else's car for that anyhow. You would dyno your own.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #1489
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
2ndCamaro - thank you for your thoughts and for your passion for all things Camaro....

- I don't think Al or anyone on the team is being ripped apart by anyone of authority.

Yes - there will always be those who don't particularly like certain people or certain brands..... And there are always those who have their opinions. Some opinions are correct - others are well-intended -- and others miss the mark completely.

For anyone to think that one Company will always dominate is folly - it is very unlikely that this will ever happen. (...in terms of affordable performance cars....)

For many years, our 4th gen F-cars dominated....... and frankly, my PERSONAL opinion is that we should have not have unveiled the ZL1 as early as we did - because I'm quite certain that this forced Ford's hand.

(....and the winner in all of this? Both Brands' enthusiasts as we continually improve the product and the performance of said products!)

Now: Some had a fit when Al posted the note that said something along the lines of "You're welcome --" to Mustang enthusiasts.......but he wasn't wrong. I would doubt that Ford would be producing a 650hp Mustang had the Camaro (and Challenger) not made a comeback......

So - let's get the cars on the road - let's allow some journalists to objectively compare the two using the same driver on the same track.....both a road course and a drag strip........and let's see what the results are. Until that happens, all the talk in the world means nothing.....

Regardless - the ZL1 is one heck-of-a-car: Just ask the man or woman who owns one.

Mustang owners don't have to love it......we hope every one of them will....but it's unlikely!

And -- to my Camaro faithful: If you DO go onto other-branded boards - let's show them some class.

...now ....lemme go feed 'Bro Zeke - V 2.0' another Mustang - he's hungry.....
Very classy post!
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #1490
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I wonder why the big fall off of torque at 4500 ...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #1491
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 662 bhp is an SAE certified number.

I don't believe you can underrate the engine and advertise an SAE certification.

Otherwise, why not just leave the rating at 650 bhp? What would Ford really gain by uprating it to 662 bhp, yet still leaving it underrated?

Again, I'm pretty sure for SAE certified numbers the manufacturer has to advertise a number within a tight range of what the third-party observer also witnesses, but I'm not totally positive on that.
This. The car is making advertised HP. End of story. If it makes 620rwhp somewhere then its a happy dyno, same applies for the ZL1.
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #1492
93TealCobra
Banned

Drives: 1993 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I wonder why the big fall off of torque at 4500 ...
Probably a very conservative factory tune pulling timing. They do have to meet 50 state emissions as it is.

Supposedly a tune only should yield 30+ whp on these cars, and I don't doubt that.
93TealCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #1493
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
To be honest I don't give a dam about horsepower. I want something aesthetically pleasing TO ME. My choice is the Camaro 2LT 'vert. One of my best friends owns a Ford dealership and another owns a Dodge dealership.
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #1494
richtor

Drives: JEEP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Okay I might just be blind, but what is the source of the 11.5 @ 125 mph?

So far, I can only find the 11.6 that MT did, followed by the heat soaked 11.8s by Evan Smith, and the low 12s.

Thanks in advance.
Fords official stance is 11.5-11.7 at 125 in optimal conditions(meaning near 0 dens alt.) Yes it has gone faster in testing. It has also shown to go 11.8 all day long by someone who can drive in less than optimal conditions.

Yes the zl1 is a great car which will hit 11's oem with a great driver.
Yes the 10-12 gt500 is a great car which can hit 11's oem with a great driver.

Now its up to us to pick our poison! Good Times!
richtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #1495
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
To be honest I don't give a dam about horsepower. I want something aesthetically pleasing TO ME. My choice is the Camaro 2LT 'vert. One of my best friends owns a Ford dealership and another owns a Dodge dealership.
That's why they make a seat for every hiney. If I have the looks, I might as well have the HP too.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #1496
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
2ndCamaro - thank you for your thoughts and for your passion for all things Camaro....

- I don't think Al or anyone on the team is being ripped apart by anyone of authority.

Yes - there will always be those who don't particularly like certain people or certain brands..... And there are always those who have their opinions. Some opinions are correct - others are well-intended -- and others miss the mark completely.

For anyone to think that one Company will always dominate is folly - it is very unlikely that this will ever happen. (...in terms of affordable performance cars....)

For many years, our 4th gen F-cars dominated....... and frankly, my PERSONAL opinion is that we should have not have unveiled the ZL1 as early as we did - because I'm quite certain that this forced Ford's hand.

(....and the winner in all of this? Both Brands' enthusiasts as we continually improve the product and the performance of said products!)

Now: Some had a fit when Al posted the note that said something along the lines of "You're welcome --" to Mustang enthusiasts.......but he wasn't wrong. I would doubt that Ford would be producing a 650hp Mustang had the Camaro (and Challenger) not made a comeback......

So - let's get the cars on the road - let's allow some journalists to objectively compare the two using the same driver on the same track.....both a road course and a drag strip........and let's see what the results are. Until that happens, all the talk in the world means nothing.....

Regardless - the ZL1 is one heck-of-a-car: Just ask the man or woman who owns one.

Mustang owners don't have to love it......we hope every one of them will....but it's unlikely!

And -- to my Camaro faithful: If you DO go onto other-branded boards - let's show them some class.

...now ....lemme go feed 'Bro Zeke - V 2.0' another Mustang - he's hungry.....
Very good post.

Personally, I think the new 5.0 and Boss really pushed Ford to improve the GT500. When the GT500 debuted in 2007, it had 200 more hp than the GT. The performance difference was HUGE. Then the Camaro came about and made ford upgrade the GT. in the 2010, boththe GT and gt500 received a bump, but in 2011 the GT got a 100hp increase, and the GT500 only 10hp. Suddenly there was only a gap of 138 from the GT and only 106 down to the Boss, with both cars being about 200 lbs lighter. In 2013, the GT500 gets its 200+hp adbantage back, with a little room for a bump of the other cars before end of life of the S197.

I suppose you could argue that the return of the Camaro lead to the 2013's incredible numbers form the factory, as without it I doubt the GT would have been upgraded on the same timeline.
nanokpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #1497
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Even with everything these cars have now, BOTH the GM and FORD V8s are STILL not "direct-injection" engines yet.

There is always something new waiting to evolve.

I'm curious when that will finally happen and how it will affect tuners and aftermarket. I have read that GM will introduce this in their next full size trucks though.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #1498
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
People will always feel a need to have the " best" of everything. Be it the "fastest" car or the "prettiest" girl or the "tallest" truck or whatever. It never ends. Some people will follow the trends like a baby to their momma.

There are true fans. In today's society they are called "fanboys" when they don't jump on every new bandwagon that pulls into town. Many of us are here because we truely love the Camaro. Many are here because the Camaro is the hottest thing they can afford. And some are here in an attempt to exert some type of dominance over what they see as a threat to their beloved brand.

Whatever category you fit in, just enjoy what you have. There will always be something "better" out there. Someone will always have a faster car, prettier girl and taller truck. That is life. The fastest guys lose just like the pretty girls get divorced. Accept it and move on.

Now, can we get back to loving the Camaro and stop all of the other car talk. We live in a great time to be a car guy (or girl). Just enjoy it. We may not see it again for another 35+ years
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote