Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Unhappy Ok, stopped again by the Police

Yup, 2nd time in my Beast ;(

Name:  0618001412.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  157.0 KB

Background: out driving the back roads in San Diego with my DiabloSport Trinity tuner to get some WOT (Wide Open Throttle) data logs. Traffic was bad at the beginning, so, it opened up and I set the cruise at 65mph, 5th gear, to keep the RPMs above 2200 for some steady data logging.

Driving at that speed, on a 55mph road, very little traffic, a police car passes me going the opposite direction. I saw him a short distance away, but didn't think 65 mph was a big deal and the cars in front were going at least that speed since I wasn't catching up to them. Ok, driving 2 more minutes, same speed, lights on, pull over ;(

Procedure: open both windows as well as the sun roof shade (remeber, tinted windows); turn off stereo, turn off car, turn on emergency flashers, hands on the wheel.

Hi how are you? Doing fine officer. Yourself? Ok. Where are you heading? Oh, just down this highway to the next intersection. Do you know the speed limit is 55mph and you were doing 65? No real answer here...Why didn't you slow down when you saw me? Well, I didn't think i was breaking any laws, sorry.

Where's your front license plate? I pulled it out from behind the seat, here it is. Why isn't on the front of the car? They fasten it by drilling 4 holes and ruining the front bumper. I was looking for another method as not to ruin my bumper. Ok, do you think you can find another way in 90 days? Sure, i think I can. Ok, hand me your stuff. Uh, stuff? Your license and registration. oh, my registration is here (pointing to the glove box). Ok, that's fine. i hand him my papers, show him my address is on the back of the license and correct on the registration. Nice car, what year? 2010 Camaro. very nice. it's not going to be this clean for long? Excuse me? Well, up ahead, the grasshoppers are REAL bad (now, I know this as we did that road 2 weeks ago and our cars were destroyed with guts!!). Oh, that's not good. yeah, look at my patrol car, especially on the grill. Ok, be right back, I'm only writing you up for a fix-it ticket.

Now, I am very happy! Ok, I got away with no plate for a while, now I'll have to mount the damn thing.

Comes back - sign this, and in 2-3 weeks, they'll send you all the info. Basically, mount the plate, get an officer to sign, then mail it in. Ok, thank you very much. Oh, officer, where can I make a legal U-turn before hitting all those bugs? (There are still reminders under the front of my car!) Now, I asked this because I know there is no where to turn, legally, from here to there, and next to us is a double set of double yellow lines! Oh, you can make a U-turn right here, I don't care, as long as it's safe. Ok, thank you and have a great day!

me, slowly pull off, U-turn, and go find another place to do my WOT logs

So...this time, a fix it violation...no big deal. Now, you might ask, again, why didn't I slow down if I knew I was going over the speed limit? you know, I'm not sure. I really didn't think it was a big deal since I wasn't going THAT fast (yes, I WAS breaking the law by 10mph) and I didn't want to ruin my data logging Oh well...another lesson learned and I got away easy!

Have a great day!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
That was cool cop!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Yes, he was very cool. Very polite, as was I. Good attitude. Very curious about the car and really liked it. And, NO speeding ticket!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
"Do you know the speed limit is 55mph and you were doing 65?"

This is entrapment, and considered unlawful for them to ask. Self incrimination. Got me out of a few tickets long ago.

Sucks that you got pulled over, but good thing it was only a fix it ticket, cool cop.

odd that on the freeway its unusual to see a cop, or anyone else for that matter, doing under 80 in a 65 haha.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
I say not such a cool cop. Yeah cool for not giving you a 65 in a 55 but does that even hold up in CA courts? If so... BARELY. He could have just kept on driving. IMO... that guy should go catch someone endangering others and breaking a real law. Sure he letcha go and that's cool and all... but lets not get our heads on backwards here...you weren't really committing an offense that deserved being pulled over for. I know that there are laws for all that bull$hit like front liscence plates etc... but I hate that the world has these technicalities so popos can pull anybody over and molest them mentally.

You being polite, on point and with all documentation saved you from prolly taking a flashlight up the tailpipe. Its the only way to be with popo if you wanna have any chance of skirting.
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I tell them that I refuse to put a front plate on my car. No matter how fast that I am going I tell them I don't really care and that everything goes away for $100 in my town and that there must be someone stealing something somewhere. Give me the damn ticket or leave me alone.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
"Do you know the speed limit is 55mph and you were doing 65?"

This is entrapment, and considered unlawful for them to ask. Self incrimination. Got me out of a few tickets long ago.

Sucks that you got pulled over, but good thing it was only a fix it ticket, cool cop.

odd that on the freeway its unusual to see a cop, or anyone else for that matter, doing under 80 in a 65 haha.
Well, I was on 76 going West just outside of Santa Ysabel. A fairly busy road, but at that part, 65 mph is about the norm. Not much faster.

Didn't realize that his comment was entrapment. i didn't answer it anyway...

Thanks...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
Internet lawyers, it is not entrapment. I guess that we should just start picking and choosing which laws are really worth following on our own. 10 over is a starting point for many officers and not unreasonable in my opinion. The OP seems to think things turned out fine. To the other posters, I wish you luck and with the types of comments I assure you that you WILL just get the damm ticket. Traffic stops serve far more purpose, and believe it or not actually result in the apprehension of criminal violations. Not bashing just a little more open minded.
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I think it might be your dash mat. That's just a crime!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor1 View Post
Internet lawyers, it is not entrapment. I guess that we should just start picking and choosing which laws are really worth following on our own. 10 over is a starting point for many officers and not unreasonable in my opinion. The OP seems to think things turned out fine. To the other posters, I wish you luck and with the types of comments I assure you that you WILL just get the damm ticket. Traffic stops serve far more purpose, and believe it or not actually result in the apprehension of criminal violations. Not bashing just a little more open minded.

Maybe you can help us vote on some more stoplights while someone is committing a violent crime.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
Maybe you can help us vote on some more stoplights while someone is committing a violent crime.
What is that supposed to mean? Investigations solve violent crime. Apples and Oranges. But I will say that running a red light and killing someone is just as violent as a shot to the head. Look elsewhere for an argument. I'm not the guy...
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I'm waiting on the day I get my fix it ticket for no front plate. If it were me though I would have slowed down once I saw him. I too have the trinity and have had a data log ruined due to a similar instance. I decided to slow down and not risk a ticket and just do another log later.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Thats what you get for being lazy

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote