The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Phonebloks

Quote:
A phone only lasts a couple of years before it breaks or becomes obsolete. Although it's often just one part which killed it we throw everything away since it's almost impossible to repair or upgrade.

Link

Thoughts? Discuss.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I think its a great ideal but it will never fly I don't see how phones break all the time. The best thing Is the upgrade ability to the newer tech without having to upgrade your phone. But all those companies will never do it I don't see how it will be a money maker for them all unless the phone's starting price is super high.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
I think its a great ideal but it will never fly I don't see how phones break all the time. The best thing Is the upgrade ability to the newer tech without having to upgrade your phone. But all those companies will never do it I don't see how it will be a money maker for them all unless the phone's starting price is super high.
For poops and giggles, ask one of the Apple Genius' how many people a week come in and say they broke their iPhone screen. You'd be amazed how many people shell out $200 - $300 for a new phone.

I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat by the way - also just noticed that they've already surpassed their goal with over a month to go.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
It's a neat idea and I like it. I want to see a working prototype before I decide if I would get one or not as well as a price range.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

That's the thing, I bet the price range would end up being a very large range, depending on which parts and pieces you decide to go with.

Maybe at first the individual options might be limited, but once it gets going, the options could be limitless.

The video even hints at being able to swap from an HD touch screen to an old-school front face with a lower definition screen and a physical number pad.

I think it would be really cool if they set it up so the hardware is compatible across all operating systems, but each manufacturer could program the main board to operate solely with their operating system. That way each company still has a "unique" product, but the hardware can be customized to each consumer's individual likes and tastes.

I also think the form factor doesn't even have to remain a rectangular block phone. In fact, there could be multiple "base" sizes to choose from, and if you're unhappy with the one you have, you could easily bring it in and swap it with a different size base. The plus side of that is, the one you just swapped out could be refurbished by the company and immediately re-used, because it's exactly like every other base its size.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
That's the thing, I bet the price range would end up being a very large range, depending on which parts and pieces you decide to go with.
I'm talking about the price range of the base phone. I know accessories will cost more.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Define base phone, though.

I don't think this phone concept translates well to defining what their "base" phone is, since you can customize it completely to your liking. I imagine if you picked the equivalent options to an iPhone or Android phone, it would be comparably priced. At least, it would have to be if it ever wanted to be competitive in the market...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Define base phone, though.

I don't think this phone concept translates well to defining what their "base" phone is, since you can customize it completely to your liking. I imagine if you picked the equivalent options to an iPhone or Android phone, it would be comparably priced. At least, it would have to be if it ever wanted to be competitive in the market...
Base phone, the phone you first get when you go and buy it before adding accessories.

The only way it will be affordable enough for the majority to buy is to mass produce set parts to create a base phone and tell everyone that if they want to customize it, all the other parts will have to be purchased separately.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the business model they're following.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the business model they're following.
That's the only way it could work. If you tell everyone that is interested in it that they can't buy a working phone the moment they walk in and that instead they have to spend who knows how long selecting options, customizing, and building their phone before they even can turn it on, you'll be losing potential customers real quick. Not many people will do their research before they go into the store. They rely on what friends have or by what looks cool at the store.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Maybe they will have pre-selected phone configurations that are equivalent in features to iPhones or Android phones. If so, I imagine they will be priced competitively - but with the added option of re-configuring it from there. If you don't want to reconfigure, you don't have to.

At this stage, it's all just conjecture though. It's still just in the concept phase. I get that you're concerned about price, but I can't imagine they'd be marketing this solely to super rich who don't care about price. And it's still so early in concept that I doubt any of that will be known for some time.

But I agree that they won't get very far off the ground if they're not priced competitively. Who knows, the concept may never make it to production.