The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #57
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Think what bothers me is the actual poll thread, the mods are avoiding the direct subject as to why this and the M6/TM question were not chosen to be voted on.
We're all going to have to have a little patience here. Everybody wants their question to show up in the next poll and probably some further explanation of how it's all going to work.

Trouble is, any response to suggestions about the way the poll questions should chosen isn't likely to show up until the next poll is released. Which isn't going to be nearly as fast as responses by other forum members to normal thread questions either in other sections or right here like this.

Give the guys a chance to think through the suggestions that have already been made, including the ones in your 4:22 PM post.

Norm
Old 12-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #58
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
Couldn't you just lemon the car after the 3rd attempt of the dealer trying to fix the problem?
Most States have limitations on when you can file for a lemon law case. Here in NC it's 2 years or 24K miles. Some of the guys with this issue are exceeding one or two of those by the time it shows up. I'll be at my 2 years next July, but considering how many miles I put on the car a year, it won't (if it does) reoccur until after 2 years.

I'm still hoping my TC replacement fixed it for good. Some of the guys who had theirs replaced last year, already have the issue back.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
Old 12-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #59
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
I believe GM knows full well how to repair (fix) the problem permanently but is limited due to regulatory, legal and actual expense. All really add to expense....it will be cheaper to not admit and correct the issue, bandaid the current transmissions and upgrade transmissions in future models. At the very least they know root cause of the A8 issues.
It might not be that clear cut.

It could be something that is unusually sensitive to deviations that are still within what a normal tolerance spec would allow. Some cars would encounter the situation regularly, others with little or no deviation would likely never see it, and some might see it only occasionally.

Norm
Old 12-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #60
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It might not be that clear cut.

It could be something that is unusually sensitive to deviations that are still within what a normal tolerance spec would allow. Some cars would encounter the situation regularly, others with little or no deviation would likely never see it, and some might see it only occasionally.

Norm
If build tolerances and/or minor variances in specs are playing a role, which very well may be, it's a design flaw.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #61
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
If build tolerances and/or minor variances in specs are playing a role, which very well may be, it's a design flaw.
Hence my previous "not ready for prime time" comment. GM/Chevy shouldn't have to be shouldering the entire blame in any customer's eyes.

Something about this A8 is enough different from the A6.

Norm
Old 12-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #62
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I had posted this elsewhere, and was recommended to post here as well. See below for my issue.

Like some of the other posts, I was also feeling a shudder while driving at times. I took the car in, and was told that the torque converter needed to be replaced.

After replacement, the shudder went away. However, I have had 2 incidents where the car will stop moving under heavier than normal acceleration (I do not baby the car, and heavy acceleration is common when I can). The second time happened last night while merging on I-95. I have spoken to the dealer, and they are not seeing any codes in the car. In both incidents, it feels like the transmission gets slammed in to neutral. The engine will rev, the shifter is in drive, but the car will not move. Shifting to N then back to D did not re-engage the transmission, but after about 8-15 seconds, it started moving normally again. The first time it happened, I pulled out from a parking lot and it went out of gear around 40-50 mph. This time, I was on the on ramp and it went out around 60 mph.

I cannot duplicate this behavior on demand, and with no codes, the dealer is currently at a loss.

My main concern is getting rear ended one day if the transmission gives out at the wrong time. It almost happened with the last incident, as we could hear the tires lock up behind us.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #63
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
How widespread is this problem?

Is this issue limited to just the Camaro or is the Corvette also seeing the same problem?

For that matter, is it even limited to the front engine/rear drive cars?

Norm
A lot of posts for this issue on the Corvette forum also.

I had our 2017 2SS A8 in to the dealer for this issue.
They told me they have seem plenty of Silverado's with the issue too.

Anything with the A8 transmission it seems.

For our car, they did the 3 flush procedure for the transmission fluid.
As of right now, that seems to have solved the issue.
But for how long?
Dealer said if/when it comes back they will replace the torque converter.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
Old 12-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #64
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
This question gets picked when it's on top right??
Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #65
Klayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
This question gets picked when it's on top right??
At the very least they should answer to the TSB's....shouldn't even require a poll for that.....

IE: Why the TSB was created, the progression of updates to it and how/why it fixes the issue.

Just standing on their own edicts would be a start....we are all hoping they would, but then my critical thinking kicks in....
Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #66
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
A lot of posts for this issue on the Corvette forum also.
I've been following this transmission issue thread on the Camaro site since it 1st started and also continually checking the Corvette section as well to see if they had the same problem. I had not seen anything similar on the Corvette section. After seeing your post that there are a 'lot' of posts there I went back and re-checked and still cannot find anything. Did you find those Corvette issues on this or another forum? Thanks
Old 01-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #67
Klayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
I've been following this transmission issue thread on the Camaro site since it 1st started and also continually checking the Corvette section as well to see if they had the same problem. I had not seen anything similar on the Corvette section. After seeing your post that there are a 'lot' of posts there I went back and re-checked and still cannot find anything. Did you find those Corvette issues on this or another forum? Thanks
Just google corvette A8 transmission shake or shudder or problems......

I would put the links here but the moderator may shut down the thread.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #68
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Same issue (shudder) happened with my 2015 Sierra Denali. It had 17k miles when it showed up. Dealership did the flush and the shudder went away. I have serious concerns that it will show up again before I hit 35k miles. This issue has been present with the 8L90 transmission from the start. The flush method feels like a band-aid, and the TC replacement seems like an ace bandage. I'm seriously considering a Ford or Toyota for the first time in my life. The 8L90 has other issues as well, but most of those can be accommodated by changing your driving style.

Since this is a company-wide 8L90 transmission issue, I have doubts as to the ability of Al to do anything about it.

At lease the Camaros don't have the frame coating issues.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 01-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #69
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Poll is up! This thread has been included!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518611
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #70
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Poll is up! This thread has been included!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518611
Thanks for putting this one back in the running!

Now everyone get to the polls!

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)

Closed Thread