Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
BlueCamaro_

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Aqua blue)
Automatic to Manual conversion

Hello all. Five months ago I purchased a 2010 Camaro SS with 30k miles on it, it is an automatic... Now I love the car and its color, and I have already added a Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust system, tinted the windows, and Custom floor mats. So simply trading my Camaro in and buying a manual isn't really an option. I would love to hear your opinions on what I should do to convert my automatic to a manual, and how much this is eventually going to cost me.
-Thank you
BlueCamaro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Jaybird4u

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
+1 I'm interested in this as well.
Color Red Rock, Kooks LT Headers with High FLow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Axel back, Vmax ported TB, Kenne Bell 2.8 Liquid cooled supercharger, 560 RWHP, Stillen splitter, Vitesse throttle controller, BMR sway bars, BMR 1.2" front springs and 1.0" rear springs, BMR upgraded front end links, 35% tint, Diode Dynamics interior and exterior lighting, Carbon fiber Bowties, Hood spears.
Jaybird4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
If you can't afford to trade for a manual then you sure can't afford to convert your auto to a manual!
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
BlueCamaro_

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Aqua blue)
My point is that I don't think i could find another camaro with the color and milage that my car has. Im more interested in finding out how and how much it would cost to do such a thing to my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
If you can't afford to trade for a manual then you sure can't afford to convert your auto to a manual!
BlueCamaro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I don't think you could even do it. LS3 (for manual) and L99 (for auto) are very different engines internally. It wouldn't be a simple matter of taking out the auto and bolting in a manual.

Do some searching in the http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72 forums.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Just use the paddles and enjoy it!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
It an easier and cheaper option to swap a manual to an auto. It's going to cost way more to swap to a manual than it will to trade in for a manual. Not only will you have to swap all the parts involved with the trans but it gets tedious after that. You'll have to cut into the firewall to mount the clutch pedal you'll have to pull apart the top end of the engine to get rid of all the afm/dod components. You will also need to find a manual car vin number because your tuner will have to reflash the computer to believe it's a manual car and doesn't rely on the auto transmission to shift. Can it be done sure but your cheaper to just go trade for a manual, unless you have all the free parts from a manual sitting around.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
I would suggest starting your search for a similar car.

The $$$ to convert would far out weigh any sentimental value unless your wealthy and throwing money away doesn't matter.

The exhaust and mats are easily moved to the new/used M6.
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I did that on a '69 Camaro once, and it was fun to do. I wouldn't even attempt that on these modern cars. Between the $, time, and all the parts needed, that would be a ROYAL PITA.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
REALLY....... what color is your car that you could not find it again.. you need camaro5 to tell you this would cost you thousands of dollars to do.... good luck and like the OP said use the paddle shifts.......
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Here is my advice. Keep your eyes in the transmission for sale section. There is always someone wanting to go auto because 9 out of 10 times that can not drive and are sick of there buddy whipping there butt at the track. There are always trans and clutch packages for sale. Just pm whos selling and i bet you could get the pedals slave master line crossmember etc from them. All is useless at that point for them. Way cheaper that swapping to a 6l80. Dont let anyone fool ya. My car was swapped and it was 10k plus. I put it back to a manual for less than half.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #12
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokum View Post
Here is my advice. Keep your eyes in the transmission for sale section. There is always someone wanting to go auto because 9 out of 10 times that can not drive and are sick of there buddy whipping there butt at the track. There are always trans and clutch packages for sale. Just pm whos selling and i bet you could get the pedals slave master line crossmember etc from them. All is useless at that point for them. Way cheaper that swapping to a 6l80. Dont let anyone fool ya. My car was swapped and it was 10k plus. I put it back to a manual for less than half.
So for about 15K you changed your car from a manual to auto, then back to manual?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
So for about 15K you changed your car from a manual to auto, then back to manual?
Not exactly. Let me explain. The previos owner swapped from a manual to an auto because of terrible accident that caused him to loose his leg. Auto was just the right choice. Car had 700rwhp with a 3200 stall and a 6l80. That was not a very long lasting setup. Trans went bad not too long after i purchased the car. Im an old school kinda guy. Im talking muncie 4 speed or die. Or a th400 gear vendors kind of guy. I wanted to maybe do mile events and some drag racing so a manual was the right choice for me. I redid my whole car front to back and decided it was a perfect time to go back manual. I bought a zl1 tr6060, centerforce dyad zl1 shifter etc prior to the auto going south. So i swapped it back and i probably had 2500-3000 in parts. I watched the forum and other places and snagged some sweet deals. It can be done for less than 5k if you have a little time to find some deals.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
CONVERT TO LS3, INSTALL F35 STAGE 4 CAM FROM TEXAS SPEED, CHANGE TORQUE CONVERTER TO 3600 STALL WITH LOCKUP FROM TEXAS SPEED, LEAVE MANUAL BEHIND. ITS A WHOLE NEW CAR WITH THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND UPGRADED CAM.

Tags
automatic, conversion, manual