The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #281
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
Update? Is Tesla still going out of business?
Website is still up and you can still buy cars so i'd say no
Old 11-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #282
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Website is still up and you can still buy cars so i'd say no
😂 how are they still selling cars? I thought people want SUV’s?
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #283
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
They don't appear to be closing any plants anytime soon, either.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #284
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
They don't appear to be closing any plants anytime soon, either.
🤔😂
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #285
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
don't they have only one assembly plant? I mean they have some others that produce batteries, and solar parts, but as far as Tesla final assembly...one?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #286
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
My friends son picked up a Model 3 in August, it is a nice looking car and the interior quality was top notch. He has had no issues with it and loves the car, and drives it as a DD, for me it would be more trouble that it was worth (always having to plug it in/ limited range) but works for him.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #287
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
😂 how are they still selling cars? I thought people want SUV’s?
They have the Model X if you want a SUV and in a year or so the new Model Y is supposed to be released for a mid-sized SUV, they got it covered.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #288

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Pretty ironic that with all the cheer-leading the last several years for Tesla to go broke and out of business, GM and Chevy are now embracing their future as a carbon-copy of what Tesla has been doing for years....Tesla is now doing and selling cars like what GM hopes to be doing in how many years?

Too bad Tesla doesn't have a lot of US plants to close and employees to layoff like GM to help pad their profits...(Not to mention the supposed decline of customers for sedans hasn't hurt Tesla any)…. Maybe GM should send Tesla a copy of their market research on sedans....

Look for GM to try and either buy Tesla outright....(and move production to Mexico)....It's probably the only way GM's blind rush to EV will work....

Last edited by 90503; 12-09-2018 at 02:41 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #289
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Pretty ironic that with all the cheer-leading the last several years for Tesla to go broke and out of business, GM and Chevy are now embracing their future as a carbon-copy of what Tesla has been doing for years....Tesla is now doing and selling cars like what GM hopes to be doing in how many years?

Too bad Tesla doesn't have a lot of US plants to close and employees to layoff like GM to help pad their profits...(Not to mention the supposed decline of customers for sedans hasn't hurt Tesla any)…. Maybe GM should send Tesla a copy of their market research on sedans....

Look for GM to try and either buy Tesla outright....(and move production to Mexico)....It's probably the only way GM's blind rush to EV will work....
You’re comparing apples and strawberries. Tesla sells luxury EV sedans and mid-sized luxury utilities. GM is looking to introduce more mainstream oriented electric vehicles. Tesla’s sedans and utilities compete head-on with the top of BMW and Mercedes portfolios. That’s why the design is largely “borrowed” from Jaguar and why Mercedes (S500 PHEV, EQC utility BEV), BMW (iNext sedan, X5 PHEV, iX3 utility BEV), Porsche (Taycan, Panamera S e-Hybrid, Cayenne S e-Hybrid) and Jaguar (i-Pace) are quickest to market with Tesla competitors. Should also note that Tesla has recently laid off employees at their manufacturing plant.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/06/12/new...ffs/index.html

I wish Tesla (and Faraday Future, and Lucid) much success, but I wouldn’t make the mistake of comparing their product or business strategy with that of GM, Ford or FCA. They are and will continue to be aligned with luxury car producers.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #290

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
You’re comparing apples and strawberries. Tesla sells luxury EV sedans and mid-sized luxury utilities. GM is looking to introduce more mainstream oriented electric vehicles. Tesla’s sedans and utilities compete head-on with the top of BMW and Mercedes portfolios. That’s why the design is largely “borrowed” from Jaguar and why Mercedes (S500 PHEV, EQC utility BEV), BMW (iNext sedan, X5 PHEV, iX3 utility BEV), Porsche (Taycan, Panamera S e-Hybrid, Cayenne S e-Hybrid) and Jaguar (i-Pace) are quickest to market with Tesla competitors. Should also note that Tesla has recently laid off employees at their manufacturing plant.

I wish Tesla (and Faraday Future, and Lucid) much success, but I wouldn’t make the mistake of comparing their product or business strategy with that of GM, Ford or FCA. They are and will continue to be aligned with luxury car producers.

So GM isn't going to compete with Tesla, or luxury sedans....They just killed the Volt, and the Bolt sold a whopping 4K units last quarter....

Their EV future isn't like Tesla, nor the Volt, nor the Bolt...So where or what is this so-called strategy of GMs? Not like Tesla, not like Volt...The only strategy so far is to just close US plants and claim everybody is going to buy some mystery vehicles of some kind whenever the get around to building them....likely in Mexico or China, or not at all....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #291
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So GM isn't going to compete with Tesla, or luxury sedans....They just killed the Volt, and the Bolt sold a whopping 4K units last quarter....

Their EV future isn't like Tesla, nor the Volt, nor the Bolt...So where or what is this so-called strategy of GMs? Not like Tesla, not like Volt...The only strategy so far is to just close US plants and claim everybody is going to buy some mystery vehicles of some kind whenever the get around to building them....likely in Mexico or China, or not at all....
I expect that it will be an improvement over both Bolt and Volt. Volt is a sedan hatchback. Neither sedans nor hatchbacks are currently not selling well in the US (coupes neither, for that matter). Bolt is a compact multi-purpose vehicle or MPV. These have never sold will in the US. The Volt was a 1st generation of EV technology for GM. More focused on developing learnings (learning curve principle) while not losing your ass (insert Sergio Marchionne quote here). Bolt EV is a 2nd generation EV (follow up on Spark EV). Again, focused on cost reduction and not losing ass. Toyota Prius was not profitable in its first two generations, but worked the learning curve to where it now pretty much prints money.

Expect the 3rd generation of GM EVs to
  • Focus on compact and mid-sized crossovers
  • Deliver 250+ miles per charge (Bolt is 238 in a smaller package so there's still work to do)
  • Be priced within $3 - 5,000 of non-EV similar models

To further illustrate my point about who Tesla is and isn't competing against, I went into the office this morning and pulled registration data for US sales Jan - Sept. 2018 Here's what that looks like:

Compact Luxury Car Segment:
  1. Tesla Model 3: 59,051
  2. BMW 3 & 4 Series combined: 42,518
  3. Mercedes C-Class: 39,166
  4. Audi A4: 23,041

Full Size Luxury Sedan:
  1. BMW 5-Series: 24,769
  2. Tesla Model S: 13,714
  3. Mercedes S-Class: 8,469
  4. Audi A6 & A8 combined: 5,751
  5. BMW 7-Series: 3,454

Luxury Mid-Size CUV:
  1. Mercedes GLE: 28,871
  2. BMW X5: 28,499
  3. Audi Q7: 25, 852
  4. Tesla Model X: 11,118
  5. BMW X6: 4,556
  6. Mercedes GLE Coupe: 2,960

These vehicles are all around the same price points within their specific segments and Tesla is more than holding its own with the big boys. That's why BMW and Mercedes are fighting so hard in the PHEV / BEV space. To get back some of the sales they are losing to Tesla.

GM strategy is basically to do the same thing, but in the more mainstream, higher volume segments like Midsize SUV & CUV, Compact SUV & CUV, Subcompact SUV & CUV. Not sure where GM expects to take their trucks. Save that for another day.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #292
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
the New Tesla center about a mile from my house is filling up with cars!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #293
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Martin....really appreciate your thoughts and insight.

I give Tesla the credit it deserves for "taking it to the big car manufacturers" so to speak, but lets face it...those cars are all still expensive. That magical unicorn $35,000 model 3 still does not exist, and according to a report I read recently, may not happen for a long while yet. Everything that is selling is still a $45,000+ Tesla.

The typical GM buying public out there looking for a good combo of cost and efficiency aren't going to fork over that kind of money for a small car/CUV.

In my opinion, I hope GM continues to improve upon the Volt technology in addition to developing full EV technology. The Volt makes the most sense to me. It has the ability to be driven nearly full EV for the majority of the time during the work week, while not having to worry about range anxiety for those times you may take longer trips. If they could improve the technology from the current 50-ish miles of range, to 75 - 100, but still have the gas engine for trips....sounds perfect for me. Put that tech in something like my 2018 Terrain for another 3,500 to 5,000 as Martin says...count me in.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #294
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
I expect that it will be an improvement over both Bolt and Volt. Volt is a sedan hatchback. Neither sedans nor hatchbacks are currently not selling well in the US (coupes neither, for that matter). Bolt is a compact multi-purpose vehicle or MPV. These have never sold will in the US. The Volt was a 1st generation of EV technology for GM. More focused on developing learnings (learning curve principle) while not losing your ass (insert Sergio Marchionne quote here). Bolt EV is a 2nd generation EV (follow up on Spark EV). Again, focused on cost reduction and not losing ass. Toyota Prius was not profitable in its first two generations, but worked the learning curve to where it now pretty much prints money.
Wouldn't the GM EV1 be the 1st generation of EV technology for GM?
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote