Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #43
ruquik1

Drives: 1995 camaro lt4 383 stroker
well I wanted a new zl1/1le now since gm is killing off the camaro might have to look elsewhere. I wonder how parts availability will be now also after its all done also. they did it to themselves by over pricing the cars imo.
ruquik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #44
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
GM, makes a decent vehicle, but has no clue how to sell them. Sad. Truly sad.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #45
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Camaro SS cannot compete with Mustang GT's price wise. I paid only 33K for my 18 GT base brand new. But it was a piece of crap. The engine was fine new but after only 3K is started the ticking noise. Then at 5K it turned to an internal rattling at 2500 RPM, knocking at idle, then pinging. Dealer did nothing. I traded it for a base 18 demo used VW GTI. Then I bought my current 2016 Camaro. No matter how cheap I would not buy another Mustang.
Wow. Almost same story as me. I even was looking at GTIs before I got my GT, lol. Had a '19 base GT manual but I got it heavily discounted (VIN specific discount)...<$29K new. Same issues as you had but not too much ticking. More the 2500 grind sound that got more persistent. Got nervous about it so I sold to Vroom for more than I paid for it (before tax) w/2K mi.

Used my registration to get the conquest offer on my SS so w/discounts, SS was only $33,100. No regrets at all.

I do wish Chevy would advertise the Camaro some. In a way, it's cool that they don't as we Camaro owners go against the herd and know what we want. But they would increase sales if they did.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #46
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Folks...

I don't get why so many people are still clinging to the notion that it's lack of advertising that is the cause of poor sales

The reason for the poor sales is primarily due to the Camaro itself. It's too expensive for a car that is not practical, for the majority of people, as a daily driver or even as a frequent non-daily driver. It's a fantastic performer but in the quest for maximum performance GM has sacrificed the means of it being a good car.

All the advertising in the world won't help a car sell that isn't really practical, isn't comfortable for many, and still costs $45,000 for a moderately equipped SS.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #47
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
You can buy 700-850 HP Mustangs with warranties from this dealer in Ohio, starting at $40k. I probably would have bought one of these instead of my Z/28, had the S550 Mustang not been so damn ugly. https://www.lebanonfordperformance.c...r-for-39995-2/
The problem is, those cars will never drive and perform like a factory built vehicle. Manufacturers throw hundreds of millions of dollars into design and development. You also got a limited run, 7 liter, exclamation point of a car for an end of a generation. That is the price of admission for something like that. I would much rather have a bone stock z/28 rather than a dealer installed blower on a base GT. One is still a base GT at the end of the day, no matter the horsepower, and other is a Z.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #48
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Gas prices have been fairly reasonable since the 6th Gen has been out. Camaro should have taken advantage of that. Imagine the bad sales if gas was up. A little imagination and GM could sell plenty. And yeh..I agree that the raise in price was not a good idea. Should have kept it closer to Mustang pricing and they would have sold more but less profit per car. A couple of bad ass ads would have helped too. GM lacks the ability to know how to move their own product. Where was Lee Iacoaca when you need him. He could have fixed GM sales problem. All the good real car guys have passed on into history.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #49
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruquik1 View Post
well I wanted a new zl1/1le now since gm is killing off the camaro might have to look elsewhere. I wonder how parts availability will be now also after its all done also. they did it to themselves by over pricing the cars imo.
Dude, you're gonna look elsewhere because maybe they will stop making it in 4 years? Come on... and the cars are far from over priced. They are less than $1500 more compared to a Mustang. It's the dealers that are the problem. I had to drive 18 miles to buy both of my Corvettes, all because the 4 dealers near my home were useless. One even tried to convince me that the shudder on the 8 speed was normal, and then tried to convince me to buy the auto even though I specifically told him I only wanted a manual. They didn't have one on the lot, so he tried to sell me what they had. I gave them a chance when buying my my truck to pull my 36 foot TT, and it was the same deal. Ended up buying a competing product then as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #50
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Folks...

I don't get why so many people are still clinging to the notion that it's lack of advertising that is the cause of poor sales

The reason for the poor sales is primarily due to the Camaro itself. It's too expensive for a car that is not practical, for the majority of people, as a daily driver or even as a frequent non-daily driver. It's a fantastic performer but in the quest for maximum performance GM has sacrificed the means of it being a good car.

All the advertising in the world won't help a car sell that isn't really practical, isn't comfortable for many, and still costs $45,000 for a moderately equipped SS.
That's a good point. Even though I paid well under $45K for my 1ss (low $30s), that's still not that cheap for a car that is going to be a toy for most.

It's not a toy for me but I don't need the practicality. Single, no kids. Small dog. It's a narrow market.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #51
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
that's because the SUV and Truck market make up the profit for GM so they can build cars like the Corvette and Camaro.
To be clear, Camaro and Corvette aren't in the same ball park when it comes to profitability.

Corvette has nearly always been profitable. It was engineered and designed to be a low volume car. It's why it still uses plastics for the body and body panels. SMC door tooling is far cheaper than stamped steel, just as an example. Much less to pay off and better or margins and NPV.

Yes, you are correct, FSTs and SUVs rule the roost for profitability. But at one point, Corvette had the highest per unit margin of anything GM made. It may no longer be true for the Corvette, but Camaro is not even the same league as the Corvette when it comes to the bottom line.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #52
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
That's a good point. Even though I paid well under $45K for my 1ss (low $30s), that's still not that cheap for a car that is going to be a toy for most.

It's not a toy for me but I don't need the practicality. Single, no kids. Small dog. It's a narrow market.

My SS is a toy and a Daily Driver. Most phun car I have ever had. I had a phith Gen Camaro that was phun, but the sixth gen is even mo' phunner than the phith.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #53
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I had to drive 18 miles to buy both of my Corvettes, all because the 4 dealers near my home were useless.
18 miles? I hope you broke that up into 2 days!
Old 07-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #54
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Corvette has nearly always been profitable. .
Not true. In the 50's (53-54 if I remember right) They couldn't give a vette away. In order to get the base price down to generate traffic, The transmission was considered an "option". After AZD took over the Corvette program, and the SBC was produced, things took off.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #55
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I'm guessing you meant something like 180 miles, but it's the same here. I usually have to travel a ways, sometimes to other states, to find a good deal. I've only bought 1 local dealer vehicle in the past 17 or so years.
Yep. Drove 3 hours for mine. Local dealer wanted $500 less on a used '16 with 14k on it than a dealer 3 hours away wanted for a brand new '17. Even showed the add to my local dealer and they just shrugged and said it had to be a misprint. Off I went.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #56
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Not true. In the 50's (53-54 if I remember right) They couldn't give a vette away. In order to get the base price down to generate traffic, The transmission was considered an "option". After AZD took over the Corvette program, and the SBC was produced, things took off.
Your example would fit into the "nearly" category. Don't forget it was either Chevy or a dealer that leased Corvettes to astronauts for $1 to drum up business too.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote