The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #435
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I just worked out my legs yesterday. It had been a few months (because of work commitments and travel) since I had done it. Squats, leg press, leg extensions, romanian deadlifts, and standing and seated calf raises. Against my better judgement, I just hopped right in like I owned the place. I started regretting that decision this morning. I'm REALLY going to regret it tomorrow....
Jelly legs today, no legs tomorrow. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNdew View Post
So I hurt my hand a little over a year ago. Was alway into going to the gym before that. Well about 2 months ago I was feeling 100% so I rejoined man do I feel good again. I took the first month easy now I'm back to my full routine already gained 7lbs...does anybody take a pre workout? I bought 1 MR man is this get your blood pumping obviously not the best thing I can take but after a long work day it def helps

As already posted proper nutrition is more important than supplements. Many rely on supplements to much but they are supplements not food replacements.

1MR is ok, no jitters, no crash. I have used it and am now using lean revolution, very similar.

My daily nutrition/supplements geared towards supporting workouts are

Early am, 5g creatine monohydrate

1 hr pre workout, high protein, high carb meal

20 min pre workout, lean revolution (similar to your 1MR)

20 min post workout shake 2 scoops whey, 1 banana, coconut or rice milk

Eat well, train hard, expect results.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #436
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't take supplements at all. I really never have, I tried Protein Powder when I first started about 5yrs ago but that only lasted a few months.
I will admit the gains might not be as fast as if I were to take supplements.
But one thing I did learn recently is that (and I believe it's because I didn't use supplements) I hadn't worked out for about 7 months and got a little out of shape, I was ticked that the body could get so far out of shape so fast, when it took so long (years) to get in shape.
BUT Since I have been back in the gym for the last few months, the gains have been huge! Almost to where I left off as far as strength goes at least. I think it's because of not using Supplements. And building raw muscle, if that makes since. Just my 2 cents.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #437
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't take supplements at all. I really never have, I tried Protein Powder when I first started about 5yrs ago but that only lasted a few months.
I will admit the gains might not be as fast as if I were to take supplements.
But one thing I did learn recently is that (and I believe it's because I didn't use supplements) I hadn't worked out for about 7 months and got a little out of shape, I was ticked that the body could get so far out of shape so fast, when it took so long (years) to get in shape.
BUT Since I have been back in the gym for the last few months, the gains have been huge! Almost to where I left off as far as strength goes at least. I think it's because of not using Supplements. And building raw muscle, if that makes since. Just my 2 cents.
Well that's the thing with supplements. They are there to supplement. You can get every gain in the world without taking one single thing, other than a good diet. So they aren't necessary. However, they can help immensely if you're doing everything else right, especially as you get older. Protein is my top pick supplement no matter what. I don't think there is anything more beneficial. It's not simply because it's protein, it's because it's fast digesting, which is great after a workout session. Multi-vitamins are probably number two, and a fish oil as number 3. After that, it's all about how fast you want to go. A cup of coffee even works well as a preworkout. Gains are always crazy the first couple of months after a long period of not going. That has nothing to do with supplements or no supplements. Muscles don't really go anywhere, they just shrink. The first couple of months of gains are them retaining more water, and becoming fully used again.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #438
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Protein is my #1 supplement well maybe #2. And I use alot of it!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #439
MTNdew

Drives: 13 ZL1 #493-13 road glide
I agree eating right is a must also consuming the proper amount of protein. I'm right around 80 to 100g per day not including my meals. I'm trying to bulk then cut once summer rolls around
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #440
CFD

I find protein powder to be essential. When trying to build muscle with minimal fat gains it's difficult to eat enough whole protein from foods withoud excessive calories and sometimes not convienent. Protein powder can easily make almost any snack a meal. I try to consume 1 1/2 -2 g protein per pound of body weight.

Creatine is found natutrally in your body and comes mostly from red meats, again trying to keep an eye on calories red meat is somewhat limited so supplementing with creatine for recovery/ strength seems to make sense. Most supplements have no valid claims but the above two are scientifically proven to have proven benefits.

The pre-workout stimulant has no nutritional value,it is just a stimulant and at my age it helps. lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #441
tlk.piglet

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS
I work out 6 days a week! 2 days are with a trainer and the other 4 are treadmill or light weights. I normally do 1 hour sessions. I also just for Insanisty so hoping to throw that into my workout. I eat alot potein save away from to fatty or high sugar foods.
tlk.piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #442
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlk.piglet View Post
I work out 6 days a week! 2 days are with a trainer and the other 4 are treadmill or light weights. I normally do 1 hour sessions. I also just for Insanisty so hoping to throw that into my workout. I eat alot potein save away from to fatty or high sugar foods.
Can you send me the Insanity t-shirt when you're done?
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #443
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Back & Bi's on Monday

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #444
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Well that's the thing with supplements. They are there to supplement. You can get every gain in the world without taking one single thing, other than a good diet. So they aren't necessary. However, they can help immensely if you're doing everything else right, especially as you get older. Protein is my top pick supplement no matter what. I don't think there is anything more beneficial. It's not simply because it's protein, it's because it's fast digesting, which is great after a workout session. Multi-vitamins are probably number two, and a fish oil as number 3. After that, it's all about how fast you want to go. A cup of coffee even works well as a preworkout. Gains are always crazy the first couple of months after a long period of not going. That has nothing to do with supplements or no supplements. Muscles don't really go anywhere, they just shrink. The first couple of months of gains are them retaining more water, and becoming fully used again.
I totally agree with what you say here. I'm going to be 50 in a few months and started working out again 5 months ago after a couple of year layoff. I decided to try and see what results I would get without taking any supplements other than a multivitamin everyday, and I must say I'm back to levels I was at when I was in my mid 30's.

I'm very pleased with my progress so far. I've put size on, about 15 lbs. {not sure what % is muscle mass) and steadily have gotten stronger. Granted my diet isn't geared toward being lean, but I do focus on eating lots of protein (chicken & hamburg, steak) When I'm working out at the gym, I can see my muscles getting a real good pump. I find it amazing how muscle memory works, it's a beautiful thing

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #445
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
When I'm working out at the gym, I can see my muscles getting a real good pump.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #446
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post

Arnold is one of the best but I'm wondering what "pump" he was working on before that interview.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #447
MTNdew

Drives: 13 ZL1 #493-13 road glide
Haha...I dont no if I would of used the comparison that he did
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #448
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
"I just wanna eat my cake" .....*Homer Simpson voice* MMMMM,Cake