Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #183
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Regarding the Curb Weight of 4120:

That is for the Base 6-speed Manual. Add the optional Automatic, Sunroof etc. and you'll be knockin' on 4200 lb...
That will be OK with me, you could not knock the smile off of my face with a baseball bat.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #184
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
So my question is, will the gearing help get the ZL-1 out of the Gas Guzzler tax?
I hope it counts for SOMETHING! Depending on the cost, if there's no GG on the slushbox, that might be more attractive for my general purposes. I find it hard to believe it's going to be too much different, at least considering the ratios already known for MD9 and MYD in CTS-V. I guess we're going to find out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Same weight as CTS-V and a few more horsepower, I would plan on the GG Tax to be the same as CTS-V.
I know I'm arguing another semantic, but it looks like it's about 100 pounds lighter - that's not too bad, IMVHO But, LOWDOWN, right below, brings up excellent points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Regarding the Curb Weight of 4120:

That is for the Base 6-speed Manual. Add the optional Automatic, Sunroof etc. and you'll be knockin' on 4200 lb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I prefer to think of it as a "aero" package......

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #185
DOOPHUS

Drives: SSR w/ LS2 * Slingshot Yellow
Off to buy a LOTTERY TICKET

! ! ! ! ! !
DOOPHUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #186
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
THANKS A WHOLE LOT!!! Pull a trailer?... LOL!!! Do they really have to say that? LOL!!!
Thats actually disappointing and I hope its just a catch-all.

I was planning on pulling a trailer with my ZL1. The thing I like about the ZL1 is that its a race ready car that can still be road-driven, so I'd much rather go to races pulling a small trailer with my race tires and gear in it than have to get a pickup truck and car hauler to carry the entire car.

unlike some of the audis and stuff, you can't put 4 sets of slicks and gear in the back of the camaro, so that means if you don't pull a trailer, your stuck with trailering it, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a ZL1 in my mind.

I'm sure it will be able to haul a tiny bit, so I'm hoping I'm OK... we shall see though! That would be a real disappointment if theres some special reason you can't trailer with it!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #187
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Very nice!!!

I normally don't harp about weight, but 4,120lbs is a bit heavier than what I was hoping for.

I was hoping for a pwr to weight ratio of under 7lbs, but 7.1 isn't too far off I guess. It obviously performs through the turns with all that weight, now the question is how will it do in the 1/4 with that weight?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #188
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
With a Nurburgring lap time of 7:41 I dont give a crap about how much it weighs..... It has more than enough performance to counter its weight "issue".
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #189
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
If one's local dealership has an allocation of 0, what is a local customer supposed to do?
Not to mention, with the 1500 mile break in period, it might make most sense to buy it about 1500 miles away...
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #190
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
If one's local dealership has an allocation of 0, what is a local customer supposed to do?

I rewrote my thoughts on this 3 times, and nothing seemed to be working on how I wanted to convay my thoughts. I guess I just want to see people in a local market get a fair shot vs someone buying a car that's 1000 to 2000 miles away.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #191
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
That will be OK with me, you could not knock the smile off of my face with a baseball bat.
Ultra-Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
Thats actually disappointing and I hope its just a catch-all.

I was planning on pulling a trailer with my ZL1. The thing I like about the ZL1 is that its a race ready car that can still be road-driven, so I'd much rather go to races pulling a small trailer with my race tires and gear in it than have to get a pickup truck and car hauler to carry the entire car.

unlike some of the audis and stuff, you can't put 4 sets of slicks and gear in the back of the camaro, so that means if you don't pull a trailer, your stuck with trailering it, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a ZL1 in my mind.

I'm sure it will be able to haul a tiny bit, so I'm hoping I'm OK... we shall see though! That would be a real disappointment if theres some special reason you can't trailer with it!
Excellent points. I'm sure it'd pull a trailer for something like that. Surely - boasting a track-ready car should probably also involve the consideration of the ancillary race-track hardware necessary for having some fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
Very nice!!!

I normally don't harp about weight, but 4,120lbs is a bit heavier than what I was hoping for.

I was hoping for a pwr to weight ratio of under 7lbs, but 7.1 isn't too far off I guess. It obviously performs through the turns with all that weight, now the question is how will it do in the 1/4 with that weight?
That the 'V runs a bottom 12, I'm thinking a little more power and grip, with less weight, will improve upon already impressive times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
With a Nurburgring lap time of 7:41 I dont give a crap about how much it weighs..... It has more than enough performance to counter its weight "issue".
Our Sponsor-built cars have been proving this time-after-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
Not to mention, with the 1500 mile break in period, it might make most sense to buy it about 1500 miles away...
That'd be a SWEET break-in.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #192
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
I rewrote my thoughts on this 3 times, and nothing seemed to be working on how I wanted to convay my thoughts. I guess I just want to see people in a local market get a fair shot vs someone buying a car that's 1000 to 2000 miles away.
If you use the car for 2 reasons - 1. to make money, 2. to use as a flagship to build brand equity, then your argument makes sense.

If a company is short term oriented, they will only go for the quick buck, and would want to sell to whoever pays the greatest dollar. This thought process got the american companies in big trouble a few years back- you have to look long term to be successful, so therefore you do want some solid geographic distribution to help build the chevrolet brand image, as places that sell less ZL1s will probably sell more chevrolets over all (think rust belt), therefore you want some ZL1s there even if they can't support the same dollar impact as say the west coast.

Therefore I agree with you!

(although I like the break in period argument too)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #193
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
It stinks, but it'll be a lot easier for the '13 MY

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #194
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I would seriously doubt, for "competitive reasons", you'll see a Master List of ZL1 Allocations. I mean, why would dealers do that?! And, as some have said, what's "fact" today may change next week/month/year...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #195
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
4120!! Good LORD.... ZL1 stands for "Zee Large One"!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #196
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCowboy View Post
4120 lbs oucchhhh
about what I had in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro zl1, 2012 camaro zl1 specs, 2012 zl1 specs, 2013 camaro zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 horsepower, camaro zl1 specs, camaro zl1 torque, camaro zl1 video, camaro zl1 videos, carbon flash metallic zl1, cfm zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 forums, chevy camaro zl1 video, chevy camaro zl1 videos, zl1 data, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 specs, zl1 video, zl1 videos