Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2024, 06:45 AM   #15
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post
lol aint that the truth. Be careful, its a slippery slope. I had 650whp, then that wasn't enough. Went to 800whp, now I'm preparing to go to 1000whp. All the while for the street, 650 rwhp was honestly fine. Get all kinds of stupid issues past that point not to mention the $$$. Do the suspension/gearing work, and use the power you have more effectively is my suggestion. Dyno numbers < Track times

Its a very, very slippery slope...

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:54 AM   #16
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post
lol aint that the truth. Be careful, its a slippery slope. I had 650whp, then that wasn't enough. Went to 800whp, now I'm preparing to go to 1000whp. All the while for the street, 650 rwhp was honestly fine. Get all kinds of stupid issues past that point not to mention the $$$. Do the suspension/gearing work, and use the power you have more effectively is my suggestion. Dyno numbers < Track times
That actually sounds really reasonable. And yes, 650 is fun on the street. I have a '23 ZL1 also thats 650 out the door from the factory. But I'm not going to track a car that's under warrantee and I'm going to be making payments on for the next foreseeable future.

That's where the SS comes in. And Yes, Arizona, it is for the Tucson Dragway. I actually havent been to the track yet. I was prepping the car to take to the track for the first time when the coolant and shavings were discovered in my oil. So since things have to come apart to anyways, just looking to use this opportunity to make any upgrades people think would help.

I see Texas Speed makes "Brawler" heads that are supposed to be a direct swap for LS 3 components, they say they add 25 HP. Thinking about doing that, not sure yet. I have lots of time.. I just had to pay $900 to register the ZL1. For 1 year.. cant wait to pay that again next year...
Old 03-11-2024, 01:04 PM   #17
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
That actually sounds really reasonable. And yes, 650 is fun on the street. I have a '23 ZL1 also thats 650 out the door from the factory. But I'm not going to track a car that's under warrantee and I'm going to be making payments on for the next foreseeable future.

That's where the SS comes in. And Yes, Arizona, it is for the Tucson Dragway. I actually havent been to the track yet. I was prepping the car to take to the track for the first time when the coolant and shavings were discovered in my oil. So since things have to come apart to anyways, just looking to use this opportunity to make any upgrades people think would help.

I see Texas Speed makes "Brawler" heads that are supposed to be a direct swap for LS 3 components, they say they add 25 HP. Thinking about doing that, not sure yet. I have lots of time.. I just had to pay $900 to register the ZL1. For 1 year.. cant wait to pay that again next year...
You do know that 650 whp is different then 650 crank right?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:30 AM   #18
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I live vicariously through these threads. I'm too old and cheap to spend big bucks on something that will inevitably either break, or become unsatisfactory. But I love to read about y'all's journeys!

As a child of the 70's (born in '56 but too young to take advantage of the real 1960's muscle) and having lived through LOW performance cars of the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, 400HP is fun on the street too. More than once this car has almost gotten away from me. I cannot imagine 1000HP on the street. But good on ya's who have it!
Old 03-12-2024, 04:37 PM   #19
SSFury

I hear ya Moto, my problem is what used to be my "Fun money" to build up the SS, is now going towards car payments for the ZL1. The cool thing about that, is it free's up the SS to do whatever I want.. but I can no longer afford to DO what I want.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2024, 05:21 PM   #20
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteProwlerSS View Post
I agree with this, have you actuallty verified this? Its hard to trust people these days.
If you drove it to the shop without any hint of trouble, I find it real hard to believe you oil was full of coolant and metal shavings......

Or, that was just a BS story you told the wifey to justify the build.
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:24 PM   #21
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Quote:
what used to be my "Fun money" to build up the SS, is now going towards car payments for the ZL1. The cool thing about that, is it free's up the SS to do whatever I want.
Your doing this totally backwards. Leave the SS stock, as your grocery getter, and build the ZL1.

Your really considering pumping $$$$$ into the SS? At the end of the day, it will still be slower than the ZL1.
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:16 AM   #22
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Your doing this totally backwards. Leave the SS stock, as your grocery getter, and build the ZL1.

Your really considering pumping $$$$$ into the SS? At the end of the day, it will still be slower than the ZL1.
I'm kinda in the opposite camp. Mod and tinker with the SS since it already needs major surgery. There wil no doubt be plenty of late night wrenching sessions in the garage that may leave you angry and frustrated. No better cure for that than a nice therapy drive in your unmolested 650 HP ZL1. And if it's a hot AZ summer night you can even crank the A/C!
Old 03-13-2024, 01:00 PM   #23
SSFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I'm kinda in the opposite camp. Mod and tinker with the SS since it already needs major surgery. There wil no doubt be plenty of late night wrenching sessions in the garage that may leave you angry and frustrated. No better cure for that than a nice therapy drive in your unmolested 650 HP ZL1. And if it's a hot AZ summer night you can even crank the A/C!
You got it exactly right. She needs surgery. Let's be honest, at 170K miles, the seals are going bad, and should be changed anyways. I can park it in the garage, put it up on wheel chocks, and take my time fixing whatever needs to be fixed. Whether it be cheesy things like Lifter trays, timing chain cover, or just oil pan gasket, and head gaskets.. When I reinstalled my heads after the cam change, I installed ARP Head Studs, so I don't even need to buy new bolts to take off the heads. People laughed at me when I did it, saying I wasted my money, now I'm going to reap the benefits of fore-planning.

Saying "Don't mod the SS" isn't even a thing. It's had 14 years worth of mods, there is very little stock on it now days, except the engine lower end, heads, and transmission. And it needs to be gone over, even if nothing is severely wrong. Might as well take this opportunity to fix things, since I already missed my first attempt to take it to a race, so that when its ready, I don't miss the next one.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:53 PM   #24
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
You got it exactly right. She needs surgery. Let's be honest, at 170K miles, the seals are going bad, and should be changed anyways. I can park it in the garage, put it up on wheel chocks, and take my time fixing whatever needs to be fixed. Whether it be cheesy things like Lifter trays, timing chain cover, or just oil pan gasket, and head gaskets.. When I reinstalled my heads after the cam change, I installed ARP Head Studs, so I don't even need to buy new bolts to take off the heads. People laughed at me when I did it, saying I wasted my money, now I'm going to reap the benefits of fore-planning.

Saying "Don't mod the SS" isn't even a thing. It's had 14 years worth of mods, there is very little stock on it now days, except the engine lower end, heads, and transmission. And it needs to be gone over, even if nothing is severely wrong. Might as well take this opportunity to fix things, since I already missed my first attempt to take it to a race, so that when its ready, I don't miss the next one.
That's exactly what I would do too!
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote