The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #2129
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Hey guys, been stalking this thread for a while now. Looking forward to purchasing my first gun. Have had numerous experiences with pump shot guns (skeet shooting) and long range rifles at family farms. But have never bought one. I am looking for a semi-auto hand gun for my first. I am not into revolvers, they just arent my thing.

any suggestions? I know that picking a gun is a personal thing but I like to educate myself very extensively before I do anything.

any help is appreciated.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #2130
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Go down and shoot a bunch of handguns and see what you like. Then take the top 3-5, do more research and go back and shoot them again. Then decide.

I did to a of research and talked to all sorts of people before my first handgun purchase.

Didn't mean a damn thing once I started trying them out. All the work, advice, etc was useless because I didn't like what I was told was "the best".

Only thing I "knew" when I started was the caliber.

Have fun with it!!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #2131
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
Go down and shoot a bunch of handguns and see what you like. Then take the top 3-5, do more research and go back and shoot them again. Then decide.

I did to a of research and talked to all sorts of people before my first handgun purchase.

Didn't mean a damn thing once I started trying them out. All the work, advice, etc was useless because I didn't like what I was told was "the best".

Have fun with it!!

Everyone's hand is designed differently. What feels comfortable to me or someone else may not feel comfortable to you (for example I hate Glocks. Hate the way they feel and since I never could get one to fit comfortably in my hand I was never accurate with one). Get online and look up when the next local gun show is and go. Handle and feel as many different guns as possible. Remember the guns that you really like and feel comfortable with then do your research on those guns and check reliability and reviews. Once you scratch out the bad eggs, find a gun range that allows you to rent those guns and shoot them.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #2132
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Funny, I hate glocks also. Yuck no thanks. I'd rather shoot my 100 year old Remington pump action .22 to defend myself than a glock. But I started shooting it when I was 7 and I can pump all 13 rounds faster than most glocks. ;-)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #2133
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1352044529895.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  113.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1352044592183.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  115.6 KB

this is my everyday carry piece
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #2134
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Hey guys, been stalking this thread for a while now. Looking forward to purchasing my first gun. Have had numerous experiences with pump shot guns (skeet shooting) and long range rifles at family farms. But have never bought one. I am looking for a semi-auto hand gun for my first. I am not into revolvers, they just arent my thing.

any suggestions? I know that picking a gun is a personal thing but I like to educate myself very extensively before I do anything.

any help is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post

Have fun with it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Everyone's hand is designed differently. What feels comfortable to me or someone else may not feel comfortable to you (for example I hate Glocks. Hate the way they feel and since I never could get one to fit comfortably in my hand I was never accurate with one). Get online and look up when the next local gun show is and go. Handle and feel as many different guns as possible. Remember the guns that you really like and feel comfortable with then do your research on those guns and check reliability and reviews. Once you scratch out the bad eggs, find a gun range that allows you to rent those guns and shoot them.
Good advice here. (Except the glock part.... I wouldn't trade my glocks for anything)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #2135
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Attachment 440122Attachment 440123

this is my everyday carry piece
Any plans to open carry now that the law has changed in Oklahoma???

My EDC is a Kahr CM9 (pocket carry) and/or an STI Shadow (hip carry).
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #2136
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT145SS View Post

i was a LEO for several years and ive had my CCL since 2001. even when i was off duty i always carried concealed, my way of thinking is, nobody should know that i have a gun. a firearm generates ALOT of attention and i like to fly under the radar, it gives me the advantage if a situation ever arises. im not against the open carry law, it is our 2nd amendment right, i just dont like the uneeded attention. when a bad guy sees my gun.......its too late
Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #2137
Darkstar November

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Darkstar November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #2138
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
Quote:
i was a LEO for several years and ive had my CCL since 2001. even when i was off duty i always carried concealed, my way of thinking is, nobody should know that i have a gun. a firearm generates ALOT of attention and i like to fly under the radar, it gives me the advantage if a situation ever arises. im not against the open carry law, it is our 2nd amendment right, i just dont like the uneeded attention. when a bad guy sees my gun.......its too late
I've had my carry license for many years and feel the same way with one exception. Open carry would allow me more access to my firearm inside my vehicle.
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #2139
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:

Quote:
Agree 100%
Quote:
I've had my carry license for many years and feel the same way with one exception. Open carry would allow me more access to my firearm inside my vehicle.
It definitely relaxes the carry law concerns... in a car... at home... but especially in public, where you don't have to be so self aware about printing, or accidental show.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #2140
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
False.

Per ATF laws AR-15 lowers MUST be registered with the ATF at the time it is purchased from a FFL holder. A AR-15 lower must be treated identically to a rifle or handgun in this regard.

The only exception to this is if you purchase a blank lower that did not go through the final machining process of the manufacturer. They look like this.
After you complete the lower you do not have to register it as long as it remains under your ownership. If the gun passes down to a son (like after you pass away), or is intended to be traded or sold then you are required to put a serial number on it and register the lower.
There is no national registry for any firearms other than NFA examples. Some states require certain firearms to be registered but it's generally pistols.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #2141
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
AAC lighting, 2 sub thump boxes with Rockford 10s
4 20x9" factory wheels powder coated Satin Black
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #2142
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
I picked up the new Springfield XDS for my conceal carry. Sweet little gun and really accurate for a sub compact .45. As for me I will not open carry as I believe tactically it makes no sense. It makes you a target in my opinion.
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun