The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Red1Le

Drives: 2013 1Le
Angry 2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!

Purchased my torch red C7 not even 1 month ago and it only has 2600 miles on it. Driving home Saturday and started hearing a knocking noise so I drove it straight to the dealership. Go figure no service on Saturday so I drop it and they put me in a Impalla . Get no call on Monday morning from them so I call around 10:30 to find out they have it in the shop looking at it and I would get a call back around 1. 1 comes and goes no call so at 3 I call they tell me they hooked the computer up to read the ECU and sent it to GM they would call back at 5. No call back so I call at 4:45 to be put on hold and never answered for 15 minutes.

So here we are today I call at 08:30 this morning to find out about it since I havent got a call from them. They inform me the noise is coming from the engine which I already told them. Then say GM wants them to tear it down to inspect and fix.

My agruement is the car is BRAND NEW doesnt even have 3K on the dash and now some local mechanic in which they plainly stated they hadnt even done a oil change on a C7 yet is going to put the engine back together. So I called GM direct after that told them everything and the lady told me pretty much they would fix under warranty but would not get me a new motor directly from GM.

Is it to much for me to ask for a new motor to go in my brand new 60K dollar car with only 2600 miles. I just cant believe that GM would not offer some options other than letting a customer be satisified with his brand new vette having a rebuilt motor.
Red1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Corvette7Tuning

Drives: 2014 corvette stingray
Sorry to hear about your vette. Keep us posted.

www.Corvette7Tuning.com
Corvette7Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
EDK53

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 2LT Z51
Engine Issue

I'm picking up my new C7 from the dealer the first week in August. Admittedly, a lot of these horror stories are disconcerting, but I'm trying to put these issues in perspective. Of all the C7's produced and delivered so far, what percentage have had engine problems? And how serious where the engine had to be rebuilt? I'm assuming the numbers are low but I don't know. As others have put it on other parts of the forum, every new model car will have some issues at some point. No car is perfect. But does that mean that the engine or other components are flawed or could result in major problems? Looking forward to becoming a new owner!
EDK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Its always sad to hear of fellow Stingray owners having major issues. Keeping the motor problem in perspective, I doubt more than a handful of the over 32000 built so far have had problems to the point of needing rebuilding or replacement. Its just that when such problems occur the owner of the car is very vocal about it, and justifiably so. I would not be concerned about a design flaw or such, as the vast majority of owners have had no trouble. I myself have over 16000 miles with no problems at all.

Red1Le, I suspect very, very few techs anywhere have had to rebuild a Stingray motor so far. I would insist that only their Stingray-certified tech touch the car, and ask to see his certification paperwork. If the dealership doesn't have such a tech, demand from GM they move it to a dealership who has one. From what I understand, a big part of the certification is training on the LT1 motor. And keep in mind, tearing the engine down for investigation doesn't necessarily mean they will rebuilt it. Depending on what they find, replacement may still be an option. They just want to determine the problem before deciding on a solution. It could be something relatively simple that when fixed will allow the original motor to run happily for 300,000 miles, without the expense of a replacement. I've seen it before.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Red1Le

Thanks for the word of encouragement PurpleRacer!

I have already went over there and asked for his certification in which he had it posted on his wall. I am just keeping my fingers crossed it is something simple to fix. I just have my concerns about the local mechanics in this area. When I went by yeserday they had dropped the exhaust system down and were already starting on pulling the motor. I will keep everyone updated as we go along thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1Le View Post
Thanks for the word of encouragement PurpleRacer!

I have already went over there and asked for his certification in which he had it posted on his wall. I am just keeping my fingers crossed it is something simple to fix. I just have my concerns about the local mechanics in this area. When I went by yeserday they had dropped the exhaust system down and were already starting on pulling the motor. I will keep everyone updated as we go along thanks!
I had a problem with my stingray and it turned out to be the bearings, the tech tore it down and had the whole engine on his work bench. I saw it and the bearings were in bad shape and of course the crank was damaged. They ordered all parts to rebuild the engine also I found out all bolts are a one use only and need to be replaced. GM was having trouble supplying all the parts and after a couple weeks decided to send a new engine, after I filed a formal case. All is well now.

So no matter what they do you are totally covered, just let the dealership do what they need to do, however, if it is a major engine problem and the parts are hard to source insist they have GM send a new engine.

If parts are not sourced within two weeks call customer service and file a case, that will get things moving, your dearler is dealing from the bottom up, with a filed case you will be coming from the top down.

Good Luck
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Red1Le

Well its offical got word yesterday it spun rod bearing number 2!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Man, that sucks. At least they will rebuild it on their dime, not yours.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
topsy232

Drives: 2013 corvette and 2014 impala ltz
Bad motor...

I know this is a C7 forum but couldn't find one for the C6 but I need help! My husband bought a 2013 C6 427 vette brand new last summer. Paid $80,000.00 for it. Has less than 4,000 miles on it and now it is in the shop (has been for 2 weeks and they haven't even started on it yet) because after driving for awhile if he shuts it off he has a hard time getting started again. They told him it sounded like a bad motor and that Chevrolet probably won't give him a new motor but a rebuilt one. I think Chevrolet should give him a new motor seeing that it has less than 4,00 miles and the price he paid for the car. I think he needs to contact our lawyer and get him involved but he wants to wait and see what happens. If they give rebuild his motor when he goes to trade it in next year for the 2015 model the car dealership will know the car has a rebuilt engine and he won't get a good trade in price. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any will be appreciated!
topsy232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:32 AM   #10
cosmicdust73

Drives: Black 3LT Stingray w/NPP, Carb Roof
My March 2014 C7 had a new torque tube put in around August 2014 with only 6k miles on it. The issue was due to worn bearings. At 9k the sound returned and I knew it was the torque tube again. GM instructed the dealer not to repair the car again (yet) because the sound did not seem severe enough and they were hesitant to do another tear down. At 12k (2 days ago) I stalled in the center lane of a major highway (quite dangerous), had the car towed to Chevy and the engine was pronounced dead the next day. The cause was metal shavings in the engine and oil filter and a damaged crankshaft sensor and thrust bearing, likely due to excessive crankshaft end play. All of this has been predicted on various forums so clearly there is a design or assembly flaw.
cosmicdust73 is offline   Reply With Quote