Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-14-2006, 04:08 AM   #15
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
No worries TAG, no one is immune to the ongoing BS the internet is overflowing with.

Seeing how I have been in the Automotive Industry for more than half of my life and a majority of that dealing with auto body, I’ll give you my 2 cents of BS.

First, I would wash the car with dish soap (Dawn). Dish soap removes what is left of the last wax job and any other road grime/grease but you already new that. If you live in the country where bugs are plentiful and splattered all over the front of your vehicle I would invest in some bug remover spray. This stuff is the shit when it comes to taking off caked on bug guts from high speed impacts.

Second, I would use a clay bar for taking any other imperfections off. Use as needed. Not need every time. I mainly use the clay bar for rail dust and industrial fall out. The clay bar may work on small splotches of tar but for major tar spots I would invest in automotive tar remover.

Third, I use the Meguiars 3 Step “DEEP CRYSTAL SYSTEM”. The DEEP CRYSTAL SYSTEM is the best inexpensive product I have found that can even come close to competing with 3M Auto Body products. Hell it might even be better.

Step 1. Paint Cleaner

Step 2. Polish

Step 3. Carnauba Wax.

This method does take up the better part of a day. Follow the directions on the bottles. I apply each step with a small 100% cotton applicator pad. Use small circular motions when applying (Wax on Wax off Grasshopper). After allowing the product to dry I remove it with 100% cotton hand towels in the same manner. Remember to wash the vehicle with Dawn between each step. Also, start each steep with a new clean applicator pad and hand towel. Washing and changing the pad/towel is a must. It’s called the 3 step system for a reason.

SAFETY NOTE! I always wear “Thicksters” (Blue rubber automotive gloves similar to surgical gloves only thicker) when applying any product other than the dish soap. There are lots of unfriendly chemicals in all this shit.

For regular cleaning I use the MR. Clean car wash system.

All of these products I have mentioned can be obtained at any local automotive store.

When you are done you are going to look like this, when you eye your black beauty.

The first time I used this system on my truck everyone thought I had repainted it...
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #16
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've never heard of using 'Pantene' or any other shampoo in detailing. Not to say "one way or the other", just never heard of it.

I've been using 'Zaino' now for about 5 years, if not longer. And while it is at times a pain that you can't buy it in the local automotive store, IMO, it's the best. 'Meguires', 'Mothers', etc., are good as well, but their durability isn't the same. As a result of using 'Zaino', I've ended up detailing cars for people, and the business continues to increase. They have seen the SS and cannot believe it's a '99. I offer my customers the choice of spending a little more money and using 'Zaino', or saving some money and using 'Meguires', or 'Mothers', etc., and quite a few who choose the wax route, after seeing the "beading effect" diminish after several weeks, ask for 'Zaino'. Now, please, before anyone starts calling me a "shill" (sp.?) for 'Zaino', I'm not. I just like the product ALOT. IMO, 'Meguires', 'Mothers', are very good as well, just from my experiences, they don't last as long.

Also, something else I thought I'd mention. Make sure and use the proper towels, sponge, etc.! I've seen guys do a detailing job only to have their work ruined by using an inferior towel/rag to remove the polish/wax. :(

As for my personal detailing of the SS, seeing as it's kept in the garage, I usually give it the "full treatment" every 6 months. This consists of washing it in 'Dawn', claying, followed by 3 coats of 'Zaino'. Also on average, I apply another coat of 'Zaino' several times a month.

And, I know, I DO sound like a salesperson for 'Zaino', but personally, I love it. :o If anyone has been looking for a GREAT leather cleaner and conditioner, 'Zaino'. It is the ONLY product I found to thoroughly clean while leaving a great "new leather" smell.

Seriously, "to each their own". 'Zaino' is what works for me. I'm only offering up my thoughts and opinions as a means of help. I'm NOT trying to tell anyone not to use what they like, etc..

I'm just a true believer in the stuff. I don't even advertise, and when people see the SS, they want their cars to look like mine! And I can honestly say every one of them has been amazed and not only been a "return customer", but alot of them have brought me more business.

OK. I apologize for my rambling. :o Sorry. :(
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I know my previous posts sounded kinda "off" with the pantene thing. I know I also worded the posts kind wierd. My bad. I baby my SS as best as I can. This is the end result after Dawn, Clay bar, pantene wash... , Step 1 and 2 of Mothers. I always wear the gloves as well. I only use the orbital buffer and the bonnets that go with them. I don't use towels. All it takes is one crazy piece of crap in the towel and you've got urself a new scratch. I will try Zaino and see how it works. My beading effect only lasts a couple of weeks as well. Enjoy the pix. Thanks for the advice Killer and Moose. I'll give both a shot. This took 6 hours to do...with lunch on only one quick break.

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #18
Moose

:eek: Did I say....:eek: ????

Looks GREAT!!!

Very nice work buddy!!!

PS; Like the liscense plate frame!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #19
Moose

Oh! I thought of your next "job"!

Time to polish the underneath!!! :eek:

I decided to lay under the SS and start cleaning it after a friend of mine showed me his exhaust. So, after many stiff necks, and a sore back, I just had to clean mine... I haven't touched it since the back operation though...:o
Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Oh! I thought of your next "job"!

Time to polish the underneath!!! :eek:

I decided to lay under the SS and start cleaning it after a friend of mine showed me his exhaust. So, after many stiff necks, and a sore back, I just had to clean mine... I haven't touched it since the back operation though...:o
WHAT??? Clean underneath??? :eek: LOL. I can barely find the time to do a "quick" detail like this. And...I still need to get the interior! If I actually have the time and don't have the wife yelling at me, "are you done yet? When are you coming inside? Are you done yet?" then, I might get to the exhause tips. I've done them before and need to hit them w/ the chrome polish again. They are pretty bad right now. I just hope I get to enjoy the current wash/wax long enough before it rains again. Next on the to do list: Rotate tires, re-adjust rear parking brake, turn front rotors, change front brake pads...and that should do it for now.

Thanks again for the compliments! As for the "yes it's fast...no you can't drive it" license plate frame, I found that at the 02 Super Chevy show and had to have it. It's been on my Camaros ever since.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #21
Mungo

Drives: trans am
The best polish I've used is "Zaino". It is the only polish that you can have multiple layers. It is so deep in shine. It was voted the best polish in Corvette fever magazine three years in a row. www.zainostore.com
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
The best polish I've used is "Zaino". It is the only polish that you can have multiple layers. It is so deep in shine. It was voted the best polish in Corvette fever magazine three years in a row. www.zainostore.com
If you and Moose reccomend it, it sounds like my next purchase will be Zaino! I've tried numerous brands finding some good, some bad. The only reason I use Mothers is because that's what they use on Overhaulin. Well, that and it does shine it up better than anything else I've tried. If Chip Foose uses it on all his cars, it's gotta be good, right? Next wash/wax...Zaino for sure.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #23
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
If you and Moose reccomend it, it sounds like my next purchase will be Zaino! I've tried numerous brands finding some good, some bad. The only reason I use Mothers is because that's what they use on Overhaulin. Well, that and it does shine it up better than anything else I've tried. If Chip Foose uses it on all his cars, it's gotta be good, right? Next wash/wax...Zaino for sure.
Remember Zaino is just wax and not a clener and polisher... I am going to put it on my list of things to try.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Remember Zaino is just wax and not a clener and polisher... I am going to put it on my list of things to try.
I gotcha. The Mothers Step 1 is polish, step 2 is a power wax. I could do both of those, or just the step 1 and then the Zaino. Is the Zaino a liquid wax or is it applied w/ an applicator pad? I'm going to give it a shot on the next wash.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #25
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I gotcha. The Mothers Step 1 is polish, step 2 is a power wax. I could do both of those, or just the step 1 and then the Zaino. Is the Zaino a liquid wax or is it applied w/ an applicator pad? I'm going to give it a shot on the next wash.
Get ready for a step up in price......I've heard nothing but praise, but it's still expensive to me.

We ought to see if we can get a group buy going or something?
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #26
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestizo View Post
Get ready for a step up in price......I've heard nothing but praise, but it's still expensive to me.

We ought to see if we can get a group buy going or something?
You weren't kidding.....hehe.
Yeah, I just looked into the site. I figured it was going to be a few different types of products....nope. They have everything. I'm going to have to read through all of their products to see exactly what I should get. Mothers is good to me, but this stuff sounds to be far better. Oh boy...now to save up another $116.00 for the entire pack. I don't think I can just buy one type. I'm going to have to do the entire cleaning process.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #27
Moose

Tag, if you've checked out Zaino's website, take some extra time to read over the section on application, tips, etc.

It may seem to be too much trouble, but trust me, its VERY easy to use.

Also, if you have any questions, you're able to call Zaino directly. I've spoken to Sal Zaino numerous times. He's a really nice guy and always willing to help.

You can always get in touch with me too.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Tag, if you've checked out Zaino's website, take some extra time to read over the section on application, tips, etc.

It may seem to be too much trouble, but trust me, its VERY easy to use.

Also, if you have any questions, you're able to call Zaino directly. I've spoken to Sal Zaino numerous times. He's a really nice guy and always willing to help.

You can always get in touch with me too.
Will do!
Thanks, Ed!