The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Exclamation Z51 Stingrays... Wait Could Be A Year...

Sorry if this has been posted before. Not too savy on searching the forums.

Found an interesting article that insiders at GM are saying that the delays for the Z51 Package could be a year or more.

Quote:
According to GM Authority, sources deep inside the Chevy dealer network are saying that customers who place an order for a Corvette with the Z51 performance package will have to wait a year or more. It could take so long that these cars might technically be 2015 models.
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/wait-list-...eaches-a-year/

The wait doesn't bother me. Anything that's worth having is worth waiting for and 15 is my lucky number.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
If they're behind by so long now, is there a point where they will be able to meet demand and get that down to a reasonable number, or does this mean it will be an ongoing issue with any Z51 package that you'll have to wait a year? Sorry, I'm not very experienced in such things and I'm just curious.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
all very old news....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
My Z51 was built a couple of weeks ago... others are being built too. This isn't accurate but there are still production limits.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
mowilson329

Drives: 2014 Stingray 1LT/Z51
As Glen said......."old news".

Ordered my Z51 on 11/19 and it is already built and is waiting to ship.....
Old 01-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
It looks like 60-90 Z51s are going to 3400 every week and it also looks like that number is very close to meeting demand. It also looks like this will be the pattern for the rest of the model year.

I have not seen the last day a 2014 can be ordered but it is usually sometime in May and model year production normally ends at the end of June. Any order put in during these late winter early spring months going to 3000 will certainly come off the line by then.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
Emmdmd

Drives: 2015 Z06
Can't see it. Mine is a z51 and went to 3400 yesterday. Build date next Thursday and Friday
Emmdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
This is from back in October.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 AM   #9
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
Sure hope this info is wrong. My dealer tells me my order is about eight weeks out. If that isn't the case I'll be canceling the order and buying from a dealer with stock on the lot. There's no wait for that kind of purchase but you have to accept what they have. I'd rather have the order I placed in the color and options I selected.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
laborsmith

Z51s are being assembled and the number each week may seem low but appears to be meeting demand. I phrase it like that because some Z51 Stingrays are showing up in dealer stock.

In the past Chevy has pulled a retail sold order before dealer stock if the dealer has allocation and it looks like this is true in the present. The quote that started this thread was outdated the day it appeared. I put that quote in the same tray as a different statement supposedly by a GM exec that the Stingray was in the last couple years of production.

Laborsmith
Old 01-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Went to the Washington DC Auto Show and spoke with several Chevy Reps (there were 3 C7s on display - 2 coupes 1w/ Z51, & 1 Vert) - Spoke about my order for a 3LT Z51 Vert w/FAY and highly optioned - Said allocation for dealers that had beginning allocation is not a problem - A smaller dealer there said it is getting cars - The problem still is constraints with the more options the more the likelihood Chevy can't get all what it needs at the same time to build my C7 (on order since July) - Was told I may get my car sometime in the Spring (end of March early April and maybe not even then) - Cars keep getting bumped ahead of my order that Chevy can build - This is old news that remains new news every day I do not get my C7 - Don't know how Chevy prioritizes like orders (if 10 orders are exactly like mine, which is #1 and which is #10) - Maybe LABORSMITH can advise us how Chevy prioritizes orders (by dealer, order date, etc.)
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
laborsmith

First: constraints is not exclusive to Corvette or even to Chevrolet. We notice Corvette (and Camaro to a less extent) constraints because so many buyers order instead of buying off the lot. It does not help that some of the Corvette constraints are for expensive to produce parts such as the exposed carbon fiber roof. An after market company can make a profit producing several say carbon fiber hoods even though each is basically hand made, and they can sell such a hood with a small imperfection. Imagine selling a Corvette to a new car buyer with same!

Second and to the point: allocations are distributed based on a previous model year orders of a particular vehicle line. (For the C7 the 2012 model year.) Say a dealer sold 1 Corvette every month but December and May; that dealer will be allocated 1 Corvette every month except December and May. If additional allocations become available, same will be given to dealers successfully moving their allocations.

Third: the dealer sets priority but all retail sold order are given priority 1. Order date has little to do with assembly date. (For the big dealers even less.) Good dealers give priority to earliest orders but as members of this Forum may have noticed no priority will trump a constraint. And allocation is use it or it will be given to another dealer.

Laborsmith

Last edited by laborsmith; 01-28-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: change the word sales to orders
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
laborsmith

Several parts make up the Z51 package. To my knowledge no one specific part has been implicated regarding the Z51 constraint.

Chevy is currently constraining Z51 to 60-90 units a week.

Chevy avoids announcing specifics regarding constraints. The carbon fiber roof was announced but only because dealers were told that transparent roof orders would be picked and suggested dealers change orders.

Body colored carbon fiber roofs are now being produced but exposed carbon fiber roof orders continue to lag behind.

Laborsmith
Old 01-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. My dealer was pretty confident it would be 2-3 months...but we'll see.