The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Ntherapy

Drives: velocity yellow corvette
constraints on color keyed tops

I ordered my corvette but they said there a constraint on the color keyed top. Like I ordered a velocity yellow but I can only get the transparent top. Is a time frame on how long this constraint will be in effect? And if my car is in production when it is lifted can I just get the yellow top without the transparent top?

Ntherapy
Ntherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
The body colored top was on constraint last fall, I think in September and October. I have seen nothing to indicate it is on constraint right now.

If by in production you mean scheduled (3100, 3300 and 3400) no change will be accepted.

I am basing this answer on experience, I am not a GM employee. I suggest asking BeckyD in her Status Change thread.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
markk

Drives: (someday) 2014 C7 Corvette Z51
I may not be reading this correctly, but it appears that the body color roofs (option CFA - standard body color roof) are still on 75% constraint. That may be why your dealer is getting allocation for the transparent top because they cannot build every coupe with the standard body color roof. The situation is better than it was but not completely gone.

I understand that once your order reaches 3000, there is no turning back or changing. You will pay extra for the body color roof later.

Only other option to making the roof change is to pass on the allocation and wait for one that has the options you want. Just make sure your dealer's future allocations can support that decision, and be prepared to wait (a while or even indefinite if the dealer is small to mid-sized)
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Ntherapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk View Post
I may not be reading this correctly, but it appears that the body color roofs (option CFA - standard body color roof) are still on 75% constraint. That may be why your dealer is getting allocation for the transparent top because they cannot build every coupe with the standard body color roof. The situation is better than it was but not completely gone.

I understand that once your order reaches 3000, there is no turning back or changing. You will pay extra for the body color roof later.

Only other option to making the roof change is to pass on the allocation and wait for one that has the options you want. Just make sure your dealer's future allocations can support that decision, and be prepared to wait (a while or even indefinite if the dealer is small to mid-sized)

Any idea on how much the color coded top will be? Ntherapy
Old 02-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Ntherapy

Sorry i didn't reply in the right spot. Any idea how much the color coded top will cost? I left Becky a note about it but forgot to ask about the cost.

Ntherapy
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
markk

Drives: (someday) 2014 C7 Corvette Z51
Dunno; I think I have read it in one of the C7 Forums when it seemed like quite a few were having the same issue as you are. You could check with your dealer though.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Ntherapy

thanks. the whole process if exciting and frustrating at the same time. I love it.

Ntherapy
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
terryg75

Drives: Cross flags and 3 pointed stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntherapy View Post
Any idea on how much the color coded top will be? Ntherapy

I haven't had to order a colored top for any of my Stingray clients yet, but last year I did for a Grand Sport cpe and I wanna say it around $3000. They come unfinished and have to be painted and the all the hardware was separate. You're better off getting that top with the car first and buying the clear one later (much, much cheaper!). Don't let your dealer BS you into taking something you don't want.
terryg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Ntherapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg75 View Post
I haven't had to order a colored top for any of my Stingray clients yet, but last year I did for a Grand Sport cpe and I wanna say it around $3000. They come unfinished and have to be painted and the all the hardware was separate. You're better off getting that top with the car first and buying the clear one later (much, much cheaper!). Don't let your dealer BS you into taking something you don't want.

I was told the color coded tops were on constraints and I didn't want to wait any longer. The dealer is paying for the transparent top. I think it is a little unfair for me to later have to pay full price for the colored top which is more expensive than the transparent top. I guess i i don't have much choice. thanks for the info.

Ntherapy
Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
terryg75

Drives: Cross flags and 3 pointed stars
I looked into this yesterday and we've been getting about 30 or so orders accepted per month and they all have a variety of configurations, but I couldn't find a single order that had been delayed for a colored roof. Trying to get a dual roof pkg is next to impossible now so that could be an issue you weren't told about and that was the only way they could get your order in so they could get paid. Something just seems fishy to me, but if they can get the car and you're happy then go with it brutha! And the color top is standard on the car and the clear top is $995 option so I guess they're giving you at least a grand off right?
terryg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
Ntherapy

Thanks. Who can I talk to that can say why I was told by my dealer that the color tops were on constraint? I don't want to have to buy a color top later if I don't have to. The dealer said they would pay for the transparent top but that is the only top I will receive they said. I can't argue because I don't have access to the constraint list or know much about how the system works. What benefit would the dealer get out of telling me the color tops aren't available if indeed they were? It is all confusing to me.

Ntherapy.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
laborsmith

This is on a partial constraint, which means a portion of scheduled production may be made with the colored CF roof. I erroneously thought the constraint only applied to dealer stock orders but now believe it may be across the board.

Here is how it works: during the weekly dealer ordering process the dealer is told how many of each vehicle line may be ordered for that week. The orders are then matched against constraints and if too many are ordered some dealers will be told they have to modify the order or the allocation will be given to another dealer.

Smaller dealers are more likely to be affected and is one reason why before 2004 several hundred Chevy dealers had never ordered a Corvette. By never, I mean not one between 1953 and 2004.

My assessment: your dealer was told the order could not be produced unless modified due to the partial constraint. I suspect there is more problem with a removable roof than with say a CF hood or fender because a hood is stable on one end and removable roof is not. Remember Corvette previously used the CF roof in fixed roof models such as the ZR1 and not intheir removable roof models.

Laborsmith
Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Ntherapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
This is on a partial constraint, which means a portion of scheduled production may be made with the colored CF roof. I erroneously thought the constraint only applied to dealer stock orders but now believe it may be across the board.

Here is how it works: during the weekly dealer ordering process the dealer is told how many of each vehicle line may be ordered for that week. The orders are then matched against constraints and if too many are ordered some dealers will be told they have to modify the order or the allocation will be given to another dealer.

Smaller dealers are more likely to be affected and is one reason why before 2004 several hundred Chevy dealers had never ordered a Corvette. By never, I mean not one between 1953 and 2004.

My assessment: your dealer was told the order could not be produced unless modified due to the partial constraint. I suspect there is more problem with a removable roof than with say a CF hood or fender because a hood is stable on one end and removable roof is not. Remember Corvette previously used the CF roof in fixed roof models such as the ZR1 and not intheir removable roof models.

Laborsmith

Thanks, that gives some credence to what the dealer is saying then. They are smaller. I guess I should have gone to a larger dealer. Any idea on the cost of a cf roof top?

NTherapy.

Last edited by Ntherapy; 02-19-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
laborsmith

Body colored painted or exposed fiber?

An idea: over $2000 and likely close to $3000.

Laborsmith