Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #1
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Is ignoring break-in period bad?

If I begin to push my car (like ALOT) before break-in period is over. Would it damage my car, or void the warranty?

Is it guaranteed that something bad would happen, or is break-in period more like a friendly reminder that liability risks COULD happen?
ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
If I begin to push my car (like ALOT) before break-in period is over. Would it damage my car, or void the warranty?

Is it guaranteed that something bad would happen, or is break-in period more like a friendly reminder that liability risks COULD happen?
I drove mine VERY light till 500 miles (and did an oil and diff fluid change at 505 miles), was rather gentle till 1,000 miles (did a few WOT pulls to teach a Mustang or two a "lesson"), at about 1,250 miles did a "mountain run" and jumped on it a few times, (did another oil & diff fluid change at 1,500 miles) and now have fun at will... My thought is be very gentle until 500 miles, after that, you are pretty much "broken in", however doing a fluid change isn't a bad idea...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Lots of opinions on this subject, and most are exactly that, opinion. As an engineer, I tend to believe there is a reason the manufacturer specifies a rigorous break-in process, and I chose to follow it carefully. I’ve known people who tracked the car hard the day after they bought it. Some of those same people also sold the car soon after, so the next guy gets to suffer the consequences, if any.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Short of redlining it I drive every new car from day 1 the way that I plan to drive it every day after that. Of a lot of brand new cars I've had I've never found a reason to baby it, change the oil at XXXX miles and so forth.

Extremely opinionated topic though.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
On the C8 Corvette the maximum torque of the car is recuded and digital redline lower is set lower in the gauges for the first 500 miles. I trust the engineers of the cars who recommend a break in period more than some know it all on the internet.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I also believe the manufacturer and the engineering teams behind the car know far better than I. I follow the break in as outlined in my owner's manual. They didn't put all that in there for fun.

While it may be ok to NOT follow, I prefer to error on the side of caution and follow those instructions. Why? Because again, I trust the engineers behind this machine and I want to be sure I have zero warranty issues if anything goes wrong.

Peace of mind as far as I'm concerned. A few miles and some fluid changes, not a big deal.

That said, it's your car, your investment, do as you wish, it is about personal opinion and choice.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
On the C8 Corvette the maximum torque of the car is recuded and digital redline lower is set lower in the gauges for the first 500 miles. I trust the engineers of the cars who recommend a break in period more than some know it all on the internet.
Exactly. Think about it this way. At some point in the future, you have a significant issue. So, you take the car to the dealership and request repair under warranty.

The service advisor is taking your information and ask about how the car was broken in. Choose your preferred response from the below and let that guide you on how to treat the car during the break-in period:

Option 1: I followed the GM recommended break-in procedure using the Performance supplement guidance which adds an oil change at 500 miles in addition to the 1500 mile oil change. The differential fluid was also changed at those intervals.

Option 2: I followed the GM recommended break-in procedure using the information in the owner's manual and performed an oil and differential fluid change at 1500 miles as suggested.

Option 3: Break-in procedures are pointless. I drove it like I stole it because some guy on the Internet said it was ok to do that and he always does that with all of his cars.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post

Option 3: Break-in procedures are pointless. I drove it like I stole it because some guy on the Internet said it was ok to do that and he always does that with all of his cars.
Just make sure if you choose this response to say it with a straight face! lol
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
When they dropped a new engine in mine, the service advisor recommended taking it easy for 500 miles, then doing an oil change around 1000 miles. Will you damage your engine badly if you don't? Probably not. But you might have issues down the road. 500 miles goes by quicker than you think. Relax lol.

The thing i don't understand is he also said nowadays the OEM's break in the engines at the factory.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
The thing i don't understand is he also said nowadays the OEM's break in the engines at the factory.
That’s the truth. If you’ve ever watched the episode of How It’s Made where they show the Camaro, at the end of the line they put it on a dynamometer and run each one through every gear to about 80 mph. That’s to verify everything works and is within spec. They go into an alignment rack first where a guy is under the floor with a computer and he sets the final alignment, then it goes to the dyno, and finally into the water pressure stage to check for leaks.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Abraham Lincoln never drove his Camaro at more than 4000 rpm the first 500 miles....he was Honest Abe.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Abraham Lincoln never drove his Camaro at more than 4000 rpm the first 500 miles....he was Honest Abe.
If Abe had a Camaro perhaps he’d have been at a car show or Camaro fest that fateful night instead of the Ford Theater
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I would avoid long highway trips at the same RPM, highway pulls, and track days in the first 500-1000 miles. The manual recommends doing a break in period, so I would do one. Though I don't think a company would release a car today that would have serious damage from someone not doing it. Much like they wouldn't make a car that can't run regular fuel. They don't want to do warranty work for something that would be hard to prove.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Keep in mind that it's more than just the engine you're breaking in. It's the entire drive line, the transmission, the differential, drive axles, all of it. A lot of moving parts with gears.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote