Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
What is the funniest rumor you have heard concerning the Camaro?

So here is the background info on this one... I spend quite a bit of time searching the internet for information and discussions about the Camaro. I think I have pretty much exausted the Camaro resources, so I ventured over to the Mustang forums to see if they are talking about the new competition, and they are.

Some of the comments they were posting were rather funny, almost like the little kid who's friend brags about his parents getting him a better toy, so he starts to rationalize why his toy is better than his friends new toy....

So my question is... what are some of the funny rumors you guys have either read or heard either on other boards or through co-workers, etc...

I will start with this gem from one of the Mustang boards:

"I Heard the new Camaro is going to have the 347 cu. in. motor and produce about 340 HP. Plus it is supposed to weigh 3800-4000lbs, so I think our Mustangs will be able to compete just fine."
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I found these on a Mustang GT500 forum. Poor little Rustang owners are funny, and low on the IQ quotient. *I know these aren't rumors. I thought they were funny though.*

IT's NO SHELBY GT500 that's for sure..... It's chevys wanna be muscle car

My response; "You are correct. It's no GT500. The new Camaro is not an overpriced, "boy racer wanna -be". It'll "eat" your GT500, at a lot less of a price, and it'll look good doing it."

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

My response; "You've just realized you over payed for an over weight, under achieving, "boy racer". Now there will be a new "bad boy" on the streets, which will cost less, and out perform the GT500, and it looks a whole lot better doing it."

* Before I get any complaints about picking on Mustang owners, I'm just being funny. They're just as loyal and enthusiastic as we are. I enjoy the back and forth "ribbing" as well as the rivalry.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Those are pretty funny Moose. I personally like the one about it not being a GT500. I think it is funny how all of these Mustang guys hold the GT500 on a pedestal as the car to be revered.

I would have replied, “That is true, the Camaro will actually be able to be modded and will cost significantly less.” Give me a 400HP car making its power with pure displacement over a 500HP force-fed car any day of the week!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
WMCC Gary
Camaro Addict

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z
HAHA thats great.
WMCC Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
cornfay

Drives: 2007 Shelby GT 500
Its about time they have come out with the all mighty camaro, especially one that will roast the force fed shelby, how many years did they take off making the camaro? Did those mustang sites spread any rumors about Mustang sales and camaros not being able to compete as being the reason?

I like all of the cars that are coming out because of what they are representing and beacuase they are finally bringing back new cars based on old classics. Whether its a z28 or gt500 im excited about being able to own one.

And about the camaro not being over priced, for one the Shelby stickered at $43,000 dont know how thats overpriced, its the dealers and their ADM's that make it over priced. And by the way its easy to not be over priced when all the #'s for the camaro are pure speculation at this point, the #'s will rise as interest grows and then the greedy dealers will rear their ugly heads.

Its the Shelby name not the GT500 that has people paying above MSRP. People think with his name on it its going to be an instant collectible.

I am sure sadly some of the rumors you have seen on other forums are true (as far as what people think) and those people are idiots but some of what was said above is wrong and so your own topic didnt lead to more false rumors thought I would enlighten. Anyway I just like the idea of all these classic cars finally hitting production lines again. GL to everyone trying to get one and get their deposits down. Casull I will let you know how over priced my convertible shelby is when I compare it for my 2010 convertible camaro, if I can get my hands on one at MSRP. PAid MSRP for my shleby sure wont pay more than that for the camaro.

I think the shelby actually hurt people trying to buy a camaro. With all the hoopla, ford guy or not they see the crazy prices the cars are going for and I think unfortunaltely for all of us this will effect sticker of the camaro. It will be closer, under of course but closer to that shelby $$$$ than it might of been before. Just a thought.

MODS-
FRPP Exhaust
Possible 40th Anniversary Package (when available)
cornfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I found these on a Mustang GT500 forum. Poor little Rustang owners are funny, and low on the IQ quotient. *I know these aren't rumors. I thought they were funny though.*

IT's NO SHELBY GT500 that's for sure..... It's chevys wanna be muscle car

My response; "You are correct. It's no GT500. The new Camaro is not an overpriced, "boy racer wanna -be". It'll "eat" your GT500, at a lot less of a price, and it'll look good doing it."

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

My response; "You've just realized you over payed for an over weight, under achieving, "boy racer". Now there will be a new "bad boy" on the streets, which will cost less, and out perform the GT500, and it looks a whole lot better doing it."

* Before I get any complaints about picking on Mustang owners, I'm just being funny. They're just as loyal and enthusiastic as we are. I enjoy the back and forth "ribbing" as well as the rivalry.
The funny thing about the Shelby GT500 is that it can get walked on by a much lighter, much cheaper Roush modified Mustang GT.

A mildly modded 4thgen LS1 with an aftermarket lid and exhaust could probably beat it too. Sad.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
cornfay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
The funny thing about the Shelby GT500 is that it can get walked on by a much lighter, much cheaper Roush modified Mustang GT.

A mildly modded 4thgen LS1 with an aftermarket lid and exhaust could probably beat it too. Sad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

This one cost more than mine is this the example you were talking about?

Or this one without the supercharger?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Ro...emsupercharger

MODS-
FRPP Exhaust
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
cornfay

Quote:

And this would be a funny rumor about the Shelby by the way not the camaro, which the thread states it is looking for.

MODS-
FRPP Exhaust
Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
rray200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfay View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

This one cost more than mine is this the example you were talking about?

Or this one without the supercharger?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Ro...emsupercharger
With the Supercharger, and still considerably cheaper than:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Mustang-Shel...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Mustang-Shel...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I like that 2nd one and would take it over the red GT500 any day. That is a sweet stang.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
cornfay

Quote:
like I said above thats all on the greedy dealers that give the good honorable ones a bad name. I actually didnt even look at the url you posted I am just assuming its the outrageouse ADM's the dealers are trying to get for these cars.

MODS-
FRPP Exhaust
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
cornfay

Quote:
unfortuantely finding a dealer that will keep his work is easier said than done, I hope this same thing doesnt happen with the camaro.

MODS-
FRPP Exhaust
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
rray200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I like that 2nd one and would take it over the red GT500 any day. That is a sweet stang.
Me too. The retro Stang is a hella of a nice car. I've test driven the '06 GT and its one sweet ride. Not as fast as a 4th gen LS1, but still a fun car to drive. Why they decided to put a heavy, iron block 5.4 litre triton in the Shelby GT500, we'll never know. It could have been so much faster and better with a lighter engine.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
cornfay

Quote:
Me too. The retro Stang is a hella of a nice car. I've test driven the '06 GT and its one sweet ride. Not as fast as a 4th gen LS1, but still a fun car to drive. Why they decided to put a heavy, iron block 5.4 litre triton in the Shelby GT500, we'll never know. It could have been so much faster and better with a lighter engine.
very true, thats the biggest knock, there are a few things that could of done to considerably reduce the weight, I dont know why they didnt.

MODS-
FRPP Exhaust