Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
wonton

Drives: 2014 Camaro (Yellow)
Paint vs vinyl stripes

Hi I am new to this forum. My whole life I said once I become a nurse I would buy my dream car, in May I finally rolled off the lot with my yellow 2014 Camaro. It was worth the wait there is nothing better than owning a car you love. I am now trying to make this car everything I ever wanted. Tint all around, sound system installed, and now I am working on stripes. I went to a shop and they said vinyl was a bad idea and that i need to get the stripes painted. I was quoted around 4000 for hood and side stripes. Do you guys know which is better? It was a custom paint shop so maybe they were just saying I need pain because that is what costs more and they will make a profit. Also he said everyone gets black with yellow and told me to consider alternatives that would set me apart. Now I am thinking blue stripes on yellow, like a dark blue. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks so much.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
4 grand for stripes? That sounds crazy to me. I'd get factory style vinyl, from a reputable shop. Far less than $4000 and will look good. As for colors, I think black is the only color that looks good on yellow personally.. maybe go with glossy black instead of matte for something a little different and easier to care for. It's your car though, whatever you like is what you should go with.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
wonton

Drives: 2014 Camaro (Yellow)
Thank you for your reply. Basically it was so expensive he said because I wanted full body stripes and dual side spears. I am not a fan of the stock dual hood stripes. If I get stripes I would do probably a solid middle with side spears or dual hood ones spread further apart. Yeah I think you are right about the blue. He said vinyl will peel up and i cant get my car in car shows with vinyl...
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
Thank you for your reply. Basically it was so expensive he said because I wanted full body stripes and dual side spears. I am not a fan of the stock dual hood stripes. If I get stripes I would do probably a solid middle with side spears or dual hood ones spread further apart. Yeah I think you are right about the blue. He said vinyl will peel up and i cant get my car in car shows with vinyl...

He's an idiot. There are thousands of cars not only in car shows, but WINNING car shows with vinyl stripes. Sounds like he's trying to sell you hard on a $4000 stripe job. Go to someone else.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Carmikaze
HTCC Membership Director

Drives: 2013 RS Camaro
Congrats on the car! I had mine painted because I wanted gloss instead of matte. Had it done by the dealer with the GFX's also for about $2k. Personal preference if you ask me. I also think black would be best with yellow, I have seen some designs that set the cars apart.
Carmikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
I think most of what you were told is nonsense.

When I got my stripes done, the front stripes had to be custom measured and cut by hand. The rear stripes were cut from a standard width 12 inch roll (= cheap).

Good vinyl lasts 7-10 years depending on sun exposure. Plenty of vendors on here have many designs that you can pick from. If you go custom, ask your vinyl guy what the standard width of vinyl is and you can start there.

I paid $450 for stripes and install, they still look like new today, 5 years later. If you are concerned about durability, you might want to look into getting Opti-coat or similar done.

Also you can always change vinyl out if you dont like it. Harder to do with paint. When mine peels or fades, I will probably keep the same design, and just change the color.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
Definitely go somewhere else, that is far too much. You can get an ENTIRE car painted for $4k.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
AWSME SS

Drives: 2015 Cummins
Stripes are for 1st gen Camaros imo. But go with decals and save money if you must have them.
AWSME SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Hell no, run away. Vinyl stripes been on my car since it was made and still havent had 1 issue. Go with vinyl itll be way less and still good quality.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
SilverStone
laser geek

Drives: 2013 sim v6
I suggest u go vinyl first. You don't want to paint and then find out u don't like it.
Vinyl leaves u possibility to change your mind later. Mine is vinyl.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
take a zero off that for my Rally stripes but my uncle gave me family rate. 4k is way to much. But paint is better. no worries with wax or pealing. I had mine painted Carbon Flash.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 AM   #12
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I got mine painted on the car at the dealership before I ever picked it up and they charged less then $1000. As someone else stated, if you want the glossy look then painting it is a good idea. On other cars I've seen the vinyl seems to start cracking within a year, but the guys posting here are claiming it's good so the choice is yours.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #13
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
Hi I am new to this forum. My whole life I said once I become a nurse I would buy my dream car, in May I finally rolled off the lot with my yellow 2014 Camaro. It was worth the wait there is nothing better than owning a car you love. I am now trying to make this car everything I ever wanted. Tint all around, sound system installed, and now I am working on stripes. I went to a shop and they said vinyl was a bad idea and that i need to get the stripes painted. I was quoted around 4000 for hood and side stripes. Do you guys know which is better? It was a custom paint shop so maybe they were just saying I need pain because that is what costs more and they will make a profit. Also he said everyone gets black with yellow and told me to consider alternatives that would set me apart. Now I am thinking blue stripes on yellow, like a dark blue. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks so much.
$4000 should get you high end ghost stripes with accents and pinstriping. How do you like the new 2014 Bright Yellow? I LOVE IT!!!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
painted is better then the vinly. but i never understood why people just paint the rallys back on, if you are going to get painted stripes put on think outside the box and do something diffrent.
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote