Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
So my tire needs a plug...

Is there any kind of precautionary measure I could take for not getting my wheel scratched up? I have ZL1 replicas.
Attached Images

ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Go to a good shop. Some shops bang the wheels around, or have old equipment that touches the rim as it's mounted or demounted.
Express to them that the wheels are dear to you and you don't want them scratched, can they do that?
Put some blue painters type masking tape, available at almost every large box store, over the outside faces of the wheel and around the lugnut holes.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
Hetfield03

I got some of that. Thanks for the advice!
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You want a patch not a plug BTW....also
Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
If it's close to the sidewall you will need a new tire.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Hetfield03

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
If it's close to the sidewall you will need a new tire.
Right in the middle of the tread.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
Hetfield03

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
You want a patch not a plug BTW....also
Ill make sure to ask. Thanks for that tip.

Edit: its a patch. They repair from the inside.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Combo Patch Plug installed from inside the tire by Tech with good credentials that does proper prep work and install
... VERY important if you go high-speed on occasion and helps maintain speed rating of tire ;-)
Tire manufacturers recommend this method on high performance tires. Agree with christianchevell to not use just a plug.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 12-08-2017 at 08:27 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
pffft...get a cheap old style plug kit, don't even have to remove tire..pull screw, ream out hole and shove the plug rope in...trim the excess and love life...

pulling the wheel WILL require re-balance..more $$$. I have done this on my car and many others over the years..done properly will out last the tire...but it's your call OP and your $$$...just givin you a option plus the plug kit can be kept in the car when traveling if it happens again...good luck!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
pffft...get a cheap old style plug kit, don't even have to remove tire..pull screw, ream out hole and shove the plug rope in...trim the excess and love life...

pulling the wheel WILL require re-balance..more $$$. I have done this on my car and many others over the years..done properly will out last the tire...but it's your call OP and your $$$...just givin you a option plus the plug kit can be kept in the car when traveling if it happens again...good luck!
This maybe is good advice for a grocery getter, or for a temporary repair on a road trip, but not for a performance automobile with high speed rated tires.

Your corner gas station will plug any old tire, but real tire shops refuse to just plug a tire. They always patch from the inside.

Yes, I've had plugs last the life of the tire too, but it's not safe if you go fast.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The only guarantee is there are no guarantees. If you go to a corporate chain, you're at the mercy of whatever pothead minimum wage worker they have working on your tires that day.

I even had the "manager"at one big tire chain scratch my wheels up during a tire change. Oh, did I mention that I specifically told them and him that I did not want the old weights removed with a sharp tool that would gouge up my rims?

And, what did they do? They used a sharp tool to remove the weights and scratched up my rims. This was on my old Titan. Luckily, with the Camaro I haven't gotten anything in the tires yet.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Listen to ron123, make sure the use a quill seal just like in that picture. If you use only a plug the tire will still leak after you put some miles on. If you use only a patch small rocks will get in the hole the bolt left and put a hole in the patch.

You need a plug and patch combo (quill seal) to do it right and keep the tires speed rateing. You and your camaro deserve to be safe
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
I fired a lube tech I caught plugging a tire on a GC SRT8. He had plugs hidden in his toolbox. Just laziness. Plugs are ok to get you off the side of the road. No high speed driving. I've only seen plug patches fail from improper prep. As for scratching rims, any manager or foreman would be foolish to let a rookie mount tires on high dollar rims. When they come in, either I assign it to an experienced tech, or do it myself. Low Profile tires can be tricky without experience. If you see a metal duck head on the tire machine.....run.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
plugged tire...drove to cfest plus about 10 or so 1/4's...ZERO leaks...like I said...done properly...and I have complete faith in my skillz...check the sig...peace out...

btw- you want complete safety replace the tire...oh wait gotta replace in pairs..