Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
I'll take the "clunky" mirrors thanks - bigger is better, and you'll have to rely on them heavily with no real rearward visibility on this car. Test drove an MX-5 a few days ago and the tiny mirrors looked great but were next to useless. The Focus ST I also tested had fantastic mirrors and it really makes busy urban freeway driving more relaxed to have them.
The "clunky mirrors" comment was just pertaining to the exterior appearance. I really had not issues with the vision, especially since it was a 2SS and had the UKC code (Lane Change Alert) - it lets you know if a vehicle is in your "blind spot" and not to change lanes. There is a bright orange (I think - colorblind) light that illuminates on the appropriate sideview mirror, telling you to "don't do it". The UFG code "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" is also nice for backing out of parallel parking spaces - the view detects approaching objects 180 degrees from the rear. Pretty impressive really.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Buying a sports coup or sports car (Camaro & Corvette) is very different than a sport sedan (ATS-V or M3/4) so the driving position will not be a good fit for everyone so this car will not be for a lot of people who cannot live with the tradeoffs it may present.

I think the packaging of the Camaro in Chevy's lineup leaves space for a limited run modern day Chevelle SS like muscle car for people who need more interior room that could be scaled on a larger CTS like dimensioned layout to replace the SS sedan down the road when it goes out of production.
Why can't Chevy offer a modern day Chevelle and have it regular production, instead of limited run ? Why leave this market to Dodge? I for one would buy a reasonably priced RWD Chevy sedan in a heartbeat.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #17
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
The "clunky mirrors" comment was just pertaining to the exterior appearance. I really had not issues with the vision, especially since it was a 2SS and had the UKC code (Lane Change Alert) - it lets you know if a vehicle is in your "blind spot" and not to change lanes. There is a bright orange (I think - colorblind) light that illuminates on the appropriate sideview mirror, telling you to "don't do it". The UFG code "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" is also nice for backing out of parallel parking spaces - the view detects approaching objects 180 degrees from the rear. Pretty impressive really.
Why Chevy doesn't offer these safety features across the board, instead of only on the upper trim levels (2LT, 2SS), is baffling.

Maybe in a couple of years they will offer a stand alone Safety Package on all trim levels.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #18
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I wish I could get a 1SS with a few things from the 2SS:

-leather seats
-auto-dimming mirror with garage door opener built in
-safety features (rear park assist and blind spot monitoring)

I can't believe the safety features aren't an option on all trims. I can probably add the mirror and leather after the fact, but I would definitely prefer blind spot monitoring on this car, and the backup camera isn't very useful without knowing how close you are to something.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #19
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Without those features I would not have this car on my short list, wouldn't even consider it. Going to a rollout party at a local dealer in a few days so I will have a chance to see for myself what's up with the visibility.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #20
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I wish I could get a 1SS with a few things from the 2SS:

-leather seats
-auto-dimming mirror with garage door opener built in
-safety features (rear park assist and blind spot monitoring)

I can't believe the safety features aren't an option on all trims. I can probably add the mirror and leather after the fact, but I would definitely prefer blind spot monitoring on this car, and the backup camera isn't very useful without knowing how close you are to something.
That would indeed be nice, but those days are long gone. A few decades ago you could do that - just go down a list and pretty much check the things you want, don't check the things you don't want. Not anymore. Obviously GM would like to sell nothing but 2SSs so they intentionally make the 1SSs "less desirable"
by not offering certain desirable features.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #21
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
I've owned my 2SS for a week now. Believe me you want those extras the 2SS gives you along with mag ride. The NPP exhaust sounds great in track mode. I'm 6'5" so I stayed away from the sun roof option. Last years model had my head hitting the liner. The a8 shifts fast and I use the center shift mode over the paddles ... It just feels more like a stick. The car down low has a ton of torque. The mag ride really let's you customize your diving experience and I'm glad the SS got it. From what I've read the 1/4 in the auto is 12.2 range and is right up there with the C7 . Why not because it's got the same running gear and a more refined 6.2.... They say no need for a catch can. Go drive one and bring your title with you , that's all I can say.
One small thing I'm going to do is replace the camaro decal on the side with the SS decal. The car also came with red hash decals I might put them on.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
I've owned my 2SS for a week now. Believe me you want those extras the 2SS gives you along with mag ride. The NPP exhaust sounds great in track mode. I'm 6'5" so I stayed away from the sun roof option. Last years model had my head hitting the liner. The a8 shifts fast and I use the center shift mode over the paddles ... It just feels more like a stick. The car down low has a ton of torque. The mag ride really let's you customize your diving experience and I'm glad the SS got it. From what I've read the 1/4 in the auto is 12.2 range and is right up there with the C7 . Why not because it's got the same running gear and a more refined 6.2.... They say no need for a catch can. Go drive one and bring your title with you , that's all I can say.
One small thing I'm going to do is replace the camaro decal on the side with the SS decal. The car also came with red hash decals I might put them on.
Yeah... it's a great car. Congrats on yours! I just don't like the forced options marketing plan of the 2SS. Don't care about HUD, because I pay attention to my speed, etc, via my gauges. Plus, it's distracting. I don't need 20 some-odd colors of "ambient lighting", nor lighted door panels, etc. I don't even need/want pushbutton start. It's just too much needless crap.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Yeah... it's a great car. Congrats on yours! I just don't like the forced options marketing plan of the 2SS. Don't care about HUD, because I pay attention to my speed, etc, via my gauges. Plus, it's distracting. I don't need 20 some-odd colors of "ambient lighting", nor lighted door panels, etc. I don't even need/want pushbutton start. It's just too much needless crap.
Millennials.......get used to it.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #24
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Millennials.......get used to it.
Oh I'm "used to it", but I don't have to agree with it or like it.... or pay for it.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
About the same as my summary of a test drive last weekend.

Not only did I have to remove my driver and 3 wood, those 2 clubs alone wouldn't fit by themselves. Ability to keep my clubs in the trunk is important. But I have to keep in mind, I have a friend with a CTS (Sigma not Alpha) and he has to remove his driver. But it at least can fit in the trunk with the club out of the bag.

This car will suit a lot of people. But the things that make a great coupe to me were marginalized by GM. :(
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #26
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I sat in one. I'm 5.7 and when I sat in the car, the front Gauge cluster was completely blocking my front view. I had to raise the seat to the point that I could see the hood. By then my head was about two inches from the low roof, which in a pump I could hurt my neck or spine hitting my head straight up. That huge ugly cluster blocking the driver is big visibility issue. For city driving, where you need to make a quick glance to see cars to your right/behind (blind spot). The visibility is very poor.

The front windshield's height is too low (due to roof being so low), that if you're the first at a traffic light, the roof blocks you seeing the traffic light.

For straight driving is ok, but for city driving is not optimal.
I guess everyone's different. I'm 5'9" and can see over the gauges and have room above my head.

And I came from a Chevy HHR SS so I was already used to not being able to see traffic lights when at the front of the line unless I lean forward, lol.

And for city driving, I was in downtown Houston yesterday for a concert and had no issue with lots of traffic. The lane change lights on the side mirrors work remarkably well at helping me to know I'm clear to change lanes.http://m.caranddriver.com/features/h...id-blind-spots this article should help you too to make sure you have ur side mirrors adjusted to eliminate blind spots. Most people adjust them too far in
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote