The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #71
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Food for thought:

This was launched less than 3 years ago. The fact that GM is ready to launch a brand new model in response to a weak product in a relatively short period of time is refreshing.
Weak product? How? This Malibu interior and exterior is 10x's better than the previous ones . Going by the numbers most agree with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Historically the Malibu is a steady seller. If you look at the numbers I posted earlier, it seems to make little difference which gen/style. If you take out 2003 and 2007 (new gens coming the following years in 2004 and 2008), there's only small variance between model years. No measurable difference between the last two gens and there's nothing to indicate that is suddenly going to change. As I said earlier, this segment of the market is flooded with good cars. GM has to be pleased that the Malibu still even ranks.

2000 207,376
2001 176,583
2002 169,000
2003 122,771
2004 179,806
2005 203,503
2006 163,853
2007 128,312
2008 178,253
2009 161,568
2010 198,770
2011 204,808
2012 210,951
2013 200,594
2014 188,519
Thanx, that's sweet ! So this current Malibu has done way better than previous , which I would expect!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #72
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
The derogatory language is the typical response when and "Internet Authority" thinks it's his place to call someone out by stating the "facts".

It's also the usual way a man reacts when said IA basically insults his wife.

It's also the way someone reactions when said IA has reading comprehension issues and goes off on a tangent "correcting" something that didn't need to be corrected.

Look at your first post where you took it upon yourself to correct a statement that was not directed at you.

So I stand by calling you a J/O and telling you to GFY.

Like I said earlier Good Day Sir, now piss off...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
None of which is true or has anything to do with 2016 Malibu. Surely there's a better outlet for your belligerence than a car forum??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Who taillights look better to you than the malibu's?
Camry, Altima, Fusion, Accord, 200...the Malibu has squircles that jut out at awkward angles. No other Chevy has tail lights like this. They've always been an eyesore to me. They detract from the rest of the car. Should complement the design language, not detract from it.

Quote:
Weak product? How? This Malibu interior and exterior is 10x's better than the previous ones . Going by the numbers most agree with me!

Thanx, that's sweet ! So this current Malibu has done way better than previous , which I would expect!
Better than previous Malibu yes, but doesn't even crack the top 5 in its class. Even if it doubled sales overnight, it would still be in third place.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree

Last edited by MEDISIN; 03-10-2015 at 05:44 PM.
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #73
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
None of which is true or has anything to do with 2016 Malibu. Surely there's a better outlet for your belligerence than a car forum??

Camry, Altima, Fusion, Accord, 200...the Malibu has squircles that jut out at awkward angles. No other Chevy has tail lights like this. They've always been an eyesore to me. They detract from the rest of the car. Should complement the design language, not detract from it.

The 200 is the only one that looks modern and eye appealing to me because the other ones is just to bland and is just a regular one piece design.

Better than previous Malibu yes, but doesn't even crack the top 5 in its class. Even if it doubled sales overnight, it would still be in third place.
Well you know why ? Because ppl that buy cars in this class most of the time are ppl that care more about reliability . This isn't like the muscle cars where ppl care more about looks more than anything else! So I don't blame ppl for picking other cars, especially with GM recent recalls and other problems. Most parents buy their kids any car but a GM car for college ! Just drive by colleges and you will see mostly Altima, Toyota's and honda's! The Fusion looks like a Aston Martin kinda so ladies love it and the 200 keep getting new stuff done too it. GM will never win this class !
Old 03-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #74
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Going by the numbers Malibu is consistently among the slowest selling midsizes in the segment. And a huge chunk of sales are fleet.

It's a weak product. Personal opinions about design aside, it's not a bad car, but it's not a good car either. And GM needs a good car in this segment.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #75
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Going by the numbers Malibu is consistently among the slowest selling midsizes in the segment. And a huge chunk of sales are fleet.

It's a weak product. Personal opinions about design aside, it's not a bad car, but it's not a good car either. And GM needs a good car in this segment.
What do you think GM needs to do to the Malibu to make it a good car?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #76
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
What do you think GM needs to do to the Malibu to make it a good car?
Upgrade powertrains, the 2.0T is fine but the 2.5L seems to be lacking in many areas especially with the Start/Stop system. Improve interior packaging particularly with the rear seat. It's a family sedan, rear seat space should be a priority, especially with a car also sold in China.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #77
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Upgrade powertrains, the 2.0T is fine but the 2.5L seems to be lacking in many areas especially with the Start/Stop system. Improve interior packaging particularly with the rear seat. It's a family sedan, rear seat space should be a priority, especially with a car also sold in China.
Oh, that sounds smart! They should definitely listen to you on this because this is important to the buyers.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #78
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
They gave up on start/stop I think for the Malibu.

The 2.5L is a decent engine, certainly fine for most drivers. Shit, it's the base engine for the Traverse and Impala. I think it gets to 60mph in the mid 7 second range which is good.

The interior isn't crappy by any stretch, but the back seat is definitely a bit tight.

Again, GM could send out the best car of the bunch in every respect and people are still going to buy a friggin Corolla. If I had to guess, the Malibu is simply there to fill the niche and is nothing more than a placeholder in that division. They're just too late to the game, for at least this round. They have a good foothold into the smaller sized cars, obvious trucks, and performance, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them double down efforts there and only change cosmetics on the Malibu.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #79
MEDISIN

Quote:
This^

From MotorTrend
"That said, nearly all editors found the Chevrolet Malibu's engine unpleasant to the ears. "The 2.5-liter makes a bad buzz over 3500 rpm and, because of the wide, tall gearing, the car tries to sit in fourth gear on the freeway," complained Kong. He emphasized the situation: "All acceleration feels labored." Our test numbers reveal acceleration roughly on par with the second-slowest Kia, edging that car out by a single tenth of a second in the quarter-mile run."
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._the_big_test/

While the current Malibu gets accolades for its chassis, steering feel and road noise, it's nearly the worst in acceleration and braking. The 2.5L needs to go.

Quote:
Again, GM could send out the best car of the bunch in every respect and people are still going to buy a friggin Corolla. If I had to guess, the Malibu is simply there to fill the niche and is nothing more than a placeholder in that division. They're just too late to the game, for at least this round.
The first gen Fusion maxed out at 250k per year, the second gen topped 300k last year and growing. I don't think the Malibu can displace the Camry, Altima and Fusion but there is certainly room for growth as the Fusion showed.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree

Last edited by MEDISIN; 03-10-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #80
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
They gave up on start/stop I think for the Malibu.

The 2.5L is a decent engine, certainly fine for most drivers. Shit, it's the base engine for the Traverse and Impala. I think it gets to 60mph in the mid 7 second range which is good.

The interior isn't crappy by any stretch, but the back seat is definitely a bit tight.

Again, GM could send out the best car of the bunch in every respect and people are still going to buy a friggin Corolla. If I had to guess, the Malibu is simply there to fill the niche and is nothing more than a placeholder in that division. They're just too late to the game, for at least this round. They have a good foothold into the smaller sized cars, obvious trucks, and performance, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them double down efforts there and only change cosmetics on the Malibu.
2.5L isn't in Traverse. Good god that'd be a dog.

1.6T should replace the 2.5L in Malibu.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #81
FenwickHockey65

Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #82
MEDISIN

It needs a flow-tie! I would love to see Milford someday in person to really appreciate how much testing goes into automobiles.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #83
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Who taillights look better to you than the malibu's?

Quote:

This ^ personally I think the Malibu is a great looking car, except for that ass end. It is so awful, especially the current car. In the right trim and color it looks fantastic IMO, but then you get those big bug eyed squared tail lights sticking out of no where. they don't flow with the design at all they just stick out.

Quote:
This^

From MotorTrend
"That said, nearly all editors found the Chevrolet Malibu's engine unpleasant to the ears. "The 2.5-liter makes a bad buzz over 3500 rpm and, because of the wide, tall gearing, the car tries to sit in fourth gear on the freeway," complained Kong. He emphasized the situation: "All acceleration feels labored." Our test numbers reveal acceleration roughly on par with the second-slowest Kia, edging that car out by a single tenth of a second in the quarter-mile run."
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._the_big_test/

While the current Malibu gets accolades for its chassis, steering feel and road noise, it's nearly the worst in acceleration and braking. The 2.5L needs to go.

The first gen Fusion maxed out at 250k per year, the second gen topped 300k last year and growing. I don't think the Malibu can displace the Camry, Altima and Fusion but there is certainly room for growth as the Fusion showed.
What he said ^ Fusion kept updating itself, and making it a car people wanted to buy. Making it fun to drive for what it is, in an attractive package at the right price and the fusion has grown to be the # 3 car in the segment.

and MEDISIN I don't like agreeing with you! haha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #84
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
2.5L isn't in Traverse. Good god that'd be a dog.

1.6T should replace the 2.5L in Malibu.
Equinox! Oops.

Yes, a smaller turbo like the 2.0T definitely brings the car to life. Not sure why people are doggin that engine though, I had no problems getting it up to speed. Granted, a turbo would be sweeter and not that big a penalty in terms of efficiency.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote