Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well for the millionth time I am perfectly happy with the V6, in fact this is my second 5th gen 1LT. This time I got the Convertible and couldn't be happier. Especially when I think a ZL1 convertible would cost twice as much and I don't need that much power.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I loved my automatic V6 (2010), but it had some intermittent engine misfires that the dealership had trouble tracking down. It never did it for them, but they could see the codes in the system. After 3 visits, they replaced a control module and said they had it fixed, but I was not convinced. Once my 3 year warranty was up I decided to trade it in for a car I wouldn't constantly be worrying about having to have towed (a few times the misfires were REALLY bad and I lost power completely).

I looked around but there still weren't any cars I wanted more than the Camaro and I loved the new features in the 2013's (MyLink, smaller rearview mirror, 6-way adjustable passenger seat, backup camera, etc.). I decided to upgrade to a V8. While the added power is nice and I love the sound of the V8, my daily commute is in heavy traffic so I rarely get to take advantage of it. I'm not sure it was really worth the 30% increase in car insurance and increased gas costs (lower mpgs + premium). But what the heck, I can afford it so I have no regrets.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I traded my V6 for V8 because I got a good deal and it was barely used. On top of that, it's a fully loaded 2SS/RS minus the sunroof. Not to mention the fact it is the LS3 V8, which is what I wanted to begin with!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Didn't trade...went for the SS. Wanted a ZL1, but with the dealers putting their "premium charge" on top of the MSRP, it put it out of my price range. I figured if I'm buying a Camaro, I need to get the fastest one I can afford. Very happy with my decision.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Debated long and hard way back in late 2008 but finally decided to go with the V-6. Couldn't justify spending the extra $7k it would cost for the SS. While I loved my 2010 2LT, I almost immediately regretted not getting the V-8. Even with the V-6s 312 horsepower, the torque as well as the sound just wasn't what I was used to from previous Camaros. This past spring I traded in my 2LT RS M6 for a 2012 2SS RS M6. The cars are virtually identical except for the engine. I now have no regrets. It's purely a matter of what you want and what is right for your budget.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Thanks guys for actually answering my question. I guess for most people it boils down to the want of the power while finding a good deal. I am by no means even thinking about trading my camaro in.

Although it did take a little getting used to that clutch in the LS3 compared to the Cruze Eco M6 or my M6 2LT/RS I drive.

Funny story about that though. I actually almost stalled it when I was backing it out of the spot it was in. When that happened the sales man told me I better not stall out with this much power.

After getting back from the test drive and not stalling one time. the sales man has me leave it near its space so he can park it. I said alright and thank you for letting me take it out and was on my way. As I am walking away I hear the camaro turn on get placed into first and lo and behold he stalled it. My friend who was with me and I just couldn't stop laughing.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
HelloWorld

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2046
Traded in my 2011 2LT for a 2013 ZL1. I'll admit that the main reason was to get a V8 and that lovely sound

But you can't really go wrong either way, the V6 is an excellent engine in a stunning car!
HelloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Traded 2010 2LTRS A6 for the 2012 M6 2SSRS. Mainly the reason is the LT wasnt me, the SS IS.Thought the 6 would be enough. Modded all I can legally in Kali but you can get much out of the six legally, got maybe 23 to the rear wheels.I'm a old hot rodder and always have owned v8 Camaros. The six wasnt enough, nor the sound or the suspension.

The A6 was new to me, always had a manual. A6 great in traffic but the m6 more fun and yes does seem faster then the SS A6

Love the new beast and modding away
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
And now, for your weekly V6 to V8 thread.

I had a 1LT V6 2012. Completely loaded, had everything I possibly needed, and a red leather custom interior to boot. It was a great car (I still have pictures in my profile). Why did I trade it in for a 2SS? Because I wanted the power. They are two different cars, and that is with the knowledge that the V6 is a powerful car as it is. They are just two different beasts. I'm glad I made the trade, but I took a nice financial bath in the process.
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
in that boat right now. i have a2lt v6 and it has everything i want. well.. sorta.

was considering a zl1 but looking at the numbers dont think its gonna be a wise choice. maybe still..(see.. i do this alot as of late). i was in a parking lot and a guy in a white vette parked behind be and as i was leaving he said, nice car. i said.. "no" yours is a nice car! we chatted abit and he told me he saved up for 10 years to get the vette and loves it.

do i go for the 1le ss? ( i like the looks more then anything else.) or a ss.

dont know this week. toss on a turbo or something on the v6.

you all will be the second to know. (she'll know when she hears me pull into the driveway!!!)
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
V6 vs V8 is almost as bad as Camaro vs Mustang! LOL

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Or, you can decide that there isn't a stock Camaro fast enough at all, so you end up addicted to modding

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The ONLY things I don't like about my V6 is the sound...the sound of saying V-"SIX" and the exhaust note - outside the car. (inside sounds cool) Other than that, it's a keeper in every way. And I probably saved some on insurance.

I'm sure it's here somewhere but did anyone's insurance go up with the V8?
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
<disclaimer> These are my own personal opinions and reasons, everyone else is entitled to theirs as well, which will be different than mine, and I respect that.

I had a V6 car for 3 years, it was boring to me and I seldom drove it. I could never find anyone to buy it for any reasonable amount in spite of it's low mileage and pristine flawlessness. To me it lacked performance in power and braking. In my opinion none of the performance exhaust systems available sound like anything I want my car emitting, so I was blocked from the start on the most important mod.

Facing another winter, and further loss of resale value upon the next spring, I went against every car dealer principal I believed in and I traded it in on a new SS. I am so glad I did.

The V6 makes for a better daily driver all around with it's cheaper fuel and maintenance costs, smoother ride, great little engine warms up fast, easier on tires, decent performance, but that's not what I was looking for.