Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #71
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Great feedback! Gonna save my money for the headers and just put the HF cats. Will put on a ported TB as that is fairly cheap and easy. When I am ready to have a tune I can put long tubes and cat delete. Probably wait till closer to warranty expiration time.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #72
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Great feedback! Gonna save my money for the headers and just put the HF cats. Will put on a ported TB as that is fairly cheap and easy. When I am ready to have a tune I can put long tubes and cat delete. Probably wait till closer to warranty expiration time.
Sounds like a good plan!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #73
HartRod

Drives: 68C10 with a Camaro5 motor/tranny
What if you just turn off the AFM?
HartRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #74
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
What if you just turn off the AFM?
If you do it with a tune that would be enough. You safest bet would be to get a Range AFM Delete Module. That disables AFM without altering your ECM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #75
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
will you still take it in like that or would you unbolt prior? I am kind of in same headspace but need the gear swap to get more under warranty
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #76
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Great thread......... to tune or not to tune that is the question!

But I really want headers and a tune! decisions - decisions, might just flip a coin.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #77
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Great thread......... to tune or not to tune that is the question!

But I really want headers and a tune! decisions - decisions, might just flip a coin.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #78
HartRod

Drives: 68C10 with a Camaro5 motor/tranny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
If you do it with a tune that would be enough. You safest bet would be to get a Range AFM Delete Module. That disables AFM without altering your ECM.
How much do those cost?
HartRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #79
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
they will honor the warranty if you deal with them honestly.
I just spit soda out of my nose when I read this......Yeah, try again, this is the fastest way to NO WARRANTY.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #80
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
doesnt matter. in that case, the guy b4 you killed the warranty, same as if he put on headers, super charger, cam cai whatever.

not answering the question fully, if you bought a used camaro and was told that the warranty was intact and there is no visual differences how would a person buying said car know? not everyone has a scan tool to check for tunes. I bought both of my Camaro's used and have no idea if they were tuned, they looked stock to me. and the root of the question is; is the time and date of changes to the stock tune recorded? anyone know?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #81
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
How much do those cost?
They run $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
not answering the question fully, if you bought a used camaro and was told that the warranty was intact and there is no visual differences how would a person buying said car know? not everyone has a scan tool to check for tunes. I bought both of my Camaro's used and have no idea if they were tuned, they looked stock to me. and the root of the question is; is the time and date of changes to the stock tune recorded? anyone know?
Yes, the flash is logged. If the dealer sold you the car with the understanding that there was a warranty and it became an issue that could potentially save your butt. But you would probably have to fight for it.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #82
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
They run $200.

Yes, the flash is logged. If the dealer sold you the car with the understanding that there was a warranty and it became an issue that could potentially save your butt. But you would probably have to fight for it.
thanks , appreciate your reply so I can't tune it and blame the previous owner...LOL

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:18 AM   #83
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
I could swear I read somewhere on one of these performance store websites, that the SCT tuner is more of a ghost tuner, where it first extracts and saves the factory tune to the device, then installs the performance tune. Then to return to stock, the performance tune is extracted and the factory tune is reinstalled. I guess this is what you call 'flashing', but the "ad" I read basically stated that this method ensures there is no trace of alteration to the factory tune, therefore, dealer is none the wiser?
Regardless, I'd think that the shop that did the tune would be responsible for blowing up your engine if they, say, accidentally programmed it waaaay too lean or advanced the timing too much or whatever.
And has anyone ever looked at what is covered in the powertrain warranty anyway? It's none of the stuff that you would expect to be covered due to their likelihood of failing prematurely, like sensors, injectors, coils, fuel pump. It is pretty much limited to the mechanical components like the engine block, cam chain, lube pump, pistons, etc. This is stuff that fails so rarely these days that I would venture to say that if you did a tune on your car and later melted a piston, it was almost obviously your tune and becomes an issue with the person that did your tune, not GM.
That being said, obviously leaving your car stock is the best bet, but musclecar owners that don't want more muscle in their cars are as likely as Obama getting a third term as President.
I have 300 miles on my 1LE. I'm due for a 'required' 3 week check-up in another week or so. After that, CAI intake, 25% Pulley, ported TB, long headers, hi-flow cats, and a SCT tuner are on my short list - Because 375(ish)RWHP is nice, but 425(ish)RWHP is nicER! And if I melt a piston or whatever, I'll be having words with my tuner! If he tells me to pack sand, well, a short block isn't that expensive...probably less expensive than the lawyer I'd have to pay to fight him!
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #84
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
I could swear I read somewhere on one of these performance store websites, that the SCT tuner is more of a ghost tuner, where it first extracts and saves the factory tune to the device, then installs the performance tune. Then to return to stock, the performance tune is extracted and the factory tune is reinstalled. I guess this is what you call 'flashing', but the "ad" I read basically stated that this method ensures there is no trace of alteration to the factory tune, therefore, dealer is none the wiser?
Regardless, I'd think that the shop that did the tune would be responsible for blowing up your engine if they, say, accidentally programmed it waaaay too lean or advanced the timing too much or whatever.
And has anyone ever looked at what is covered in the powertrain warranty anyway? It's none of the stuff that you would expect to be covered due to their likelihood of failing prematurely, like sensors, injectors, coils, fuel pump. It is pretty much limited to the mechanical components like the engine block, cam chain, lube pump, pistons, etc. This is stuff that fails so rarely these days that I would venture to say that if you did a tune on your car and later melted a piston, it was almost obviously your tune and becomes an issue with the person that did your tune, not GM.
That being said, obviously leaving your car stock is the best bet, but musclecar owners that don't want more muscle in their cars are as likely as Obama getting a third term as President.
I have 300 miles on my 1LE. I'm due for a 'required' 3 week check-up in another week or so. After that, CAI intake, 25% Pulley, ported TB, long headers, hi-flow cats, and a SCT tuner are on my short list - Because 375(ish)RWHP is nice, but 425(ish)RWHP is nicER! And if I melt a piston or whatever, I'll be having words with my tuner! If he tells me to pack sand, well, a short block isn't that expensive...probably less expensive than the lawyer I'd have to pay to fight him!
With the Camaro there is no such thing as a "ghost tune". With some cars you can get away with it but the ECM in these cars keeps a log of every time it is reflashed. If that log doesn't match your service records, you are busted.

Tags
tune, void warranty, warranty