Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #57
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
Pony cars died in the 60s. I'm pretty sure my insurance card lists it as a two door sport coupe.
Just because your INS card has it listed that way doesn't mean that's the factual class.. I've had options to choose between 2DR and 4DR before for my Camaro on sites.

Camaro isn't a sports car.

Pony cars also did not die in the 60s. If you want to argue that, then at least go to the 2002 era when the FBody actually died.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #58
porta

Drives: Golf 3 TDI , Chevy Camaro '12 2ltRs
Everytime i see an evo i have the feeling a little mexican is driving it, some sort of speedy gonzales , you will win on the long run m8 no worries you got a bigger fuel tank
porta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #59
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Just because your INS card has it listed that way doesn't mean that's the factual class.. I've had options to choose between 2DR and 4DR before for my Camaro on sites.

Camaro isn't a sports car.

Pony cars also did not die in the 60s. If you want to argue that, then at least go to the 2002 era when the FBody actually died.
Then who actually makes the classifications? Some guy that's edits for hot rod magazine? Some guy that makes the propaganda for manufacturers? Seeing as how the Muscle car era wasn't even defined as such until 20 years later, how can you hope to accurately define what your car is? I consider mine a 2+2 Sports car because it's damn sure not much good at being an economy car and it isn't a people carrier. Or a truck. It's a vehicle designed for Sport use. Therefore, Sports car.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #60
porta

well it is a sports car but that comes inside the whole package of a pony car: the looks , the cost and the sport part. wasn't it ? I mean come on , let's be honest 20ish k dollars ain't such a big of a deal for a new car...i think you 2 argue over nothing but that's just my 5 cents over it plus i think nobody cares what i say around here :P i own a golf for now lol.

Last edited by porta; 07-26-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #61
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
Oh wait you don't have an SS...My bad...
I just realized how often this quote could be used.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #62
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by porta View Post
well it is a sports car but that comes inside the whole package of a pony car: the looks , the cost and the sport part. wasn't it ? I mean come on , let's be honest 20ish k dollars ain't such a big of a deal for a new car...i think you 2 argue over nothing but that's just my 5 cents over it plus i think nobody cares what i say around here :P i own a golf for now lol.
I don't think its that big of a deal but people calling it a pony car kinda don't get that pony cars by nature were small, light weight cars with moderate sized motors at best. The new camaro is none of those. It's a big (somewhat), heavy car with the second most powerful V8 to ever grace a camaro. That's not a pony car to me. The Mustang, Baracuda, Dart, Demon, Nova/Chevy II, Camaro; those were all pony cars, but that was back in the 60s. I just don't feel the classification fits anymore.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #63
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I don't think its that big of a deal but people calling it a pony car kinda don't get that pony cars by nature were small, light weight cars with moderate sized motors at best. The new camaro is none of those. It's a big (somewhat), heavy car with the second most powerful V8 to ever grace a camaro. That's not a pony car to me. The Mustang, Baracuda, Dart, Demon, Nova/Chevy II, Camaro; those were all pony cars, but that was back in the 60s. I just don't feel the classification fits anymore.
Agree with you on the modern camaro. But later novas, chevy IIs, and cudas don't seem like pony cars to me. I'd say they were definitely muscle cars.

And as far as the modern camaro goes, most people consider it a "sports car" because the term "muscle car" had mostly died out of use. Ask someone which of the modern day card is a modern muscle car, the camaro and challenger are right up there.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #64
porta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
I just realized how often this quote could be used.
yah rub it in, rub it in haha i'm still waiting
Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #65
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by porta View Post
yah rub it in, rub it in haha i'm still waiting
I'm waiting for you to get outta that Golf and jump into a camaro!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #66
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I raced a 2011 EVO at a drag strip...beat him badly (got me outta the whole though). The problem with those cars is to get the "magazine" 1/4 mile time you gotta launch the damn thing at like 4500 to 5000 rpm...Considering the car is damn near 50K here in Canada, most owners aren;t will to do that...
2010 2SS/RS 1 7/8" Long Tube American Racing Headers w/high flow cats, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Shifter, JRE 445 Street Cam Package tuned via SCT, Pedders Street 1 Kit.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #67
porta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
I'm waiting for you to get outta that Golf and jump into a camaro!
i will never get ridd of my golf, but i can't wait to drive a camaro that's for sure
Old 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #68
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS_HOSS View Post
I raced a 2011 EVO at a drag strip...beat him badly (got me outta the whole though). The problem with those cars is to get the "magazine" 1/4 mile time you gotta launch the damn thing at like 4500 to 5000 rpm...Considering the car is damn near 50K here in Canada, most owners aren;t will to do that...
The evo x, which includes the 2011 you raced, is actually the slowest of the USDM evos in a straight line. They added weight and not much power, but it does handle very nicely. The evo VIII and IX are much more deadly at the drag strip. An evo IX is only ever so slightly behind an SS stock for stock and with a few bolt ons it will be running what cammed ls3s are running, no problem.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #69
C6Z06dude

Drives: 2009 C63 AMG,06 Evo,07 VW GLI,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Stock vs. stock a Camaro SS has the advantage over a EVO (any year). The Camaro SS also traps much higher in the 1/4 mile.

It is also much easier to get a stock Camaro SS into the 12s than a stock EVO. A 12.9 in a stock EVO is an extremely fast run and doesn't happen very often. A 12.9 in a stock Camaro SS is more common place.

But the EVO in the picture is defintely not stock. And off course it would be silly for a stockish V6 Camaro to race him.
You are very true on that however a Evo with a Tune and a boost controller will pick up another 60-70hp, from that point just about anything that you add to the 4G63 engine makes a significant difference(cams, exhaust, etc).

It takes very little to make the Evo go fast.
Previous car> 08 Z06 with cams, heads,headers and other minor stuff
C6Z06dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #70
C6Z06dude

Drives: 2009 C63 AMG,06 Evo,07 VW GLI,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS_HOSS View Post
You are absolutely right. Either you launched them well or they bog down on you but when launched well they are quick of the line. The Evo X aren't as quick or fast as the Evo IX
Previous car> 08 Z06 with cams, heads,headers and other minor stuff
C6Z06dude is offline   Reply With Quote