The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Z06 too much?

I have read at least one article and seen several videos on utube saying the reviewer actually prefers the stingray to the ZO6 mainly because the Z06 package makes it so you have to be very careful where you hit the gas meaning you are hesitant to get all of the power out of it and use it to its full potential.
That being said how do you feel about those statements? Also...these questions:
1- do you feel they are right? That if it is a street car you should stick with the base engine?
3- yes you will have to be more careful but once your use to it the supercharger will make it more enjoyable to drive?
4- won't the nannies keep this in check?
While I cannot obviously do not go full throttle in every case, never down shift to a gear where I'll be over 5kish, and am obviously careful in corners don't, but I do enjoy being able to floor the car without worrying about the car going crazy on me.
So to repeat myself, do you think it will suck some of the joy of driving the car by having to be very careful or do you think once use to it that all goes away?
I know I was a little hesitant to get on the gas when switching from a 6 to an 8 but now I'm use to it, it is great!
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Not sure what others think but here's my experience.
I upgraded from an '08 Z51 to a '16 Z06 last July. The 1st few times times I got on the Z06 I immediately lost traction. It was bad(unexpected) but no more so that the 1st few times I got on the Z51. The performance difference is incredible. It didn't take too long before I was pretty comfortable with the performance of the Z06 and was pushing it pretty hard. A month ago, a year after I got my Z06, I took the Corvette Performance class at Spring Mountain. During the class you really learn the capabilities of the Z06. After returning home, I believe I can push the car much harder while still maintaining better control.
Stingray or Z06? I think it's relative if you understand the performance & handling characteristics and capabilities of either of them and respect them.

Based on your profile, it looks like you have a Camaro V8. I would say that if you are NOT comfortable pushing that to the limit on a road course, straights and turns, then don't get the Z06.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
Not sure what others think but here's my experience.
I upgraded from an '08 Z51 to a '16 Z06 last July. The 1st few times times I got on the Z06 I immediately lost traction. It was bad(unexpected) but no more so that the 1st few times I got on the Z51. The performance difference is incredible. It didn't take too long before I was pretty comfortable with the performance of the Z06 and was pushing it pretty hard. A month ago, a year after I got my Z06, I took the Corvette Performance class at Spring Mountain. During the class you really learn the capabilities of the Z06. After returning home, I believe I can push the car much harder while still maintaining better control.
Stingray or Z06? I think it's relative if you understand the performance & handling characteristics and capabilities of either of them and respect them.

Based on your profile, it looks like you have a Camaro V8. I would say that if you are NOT comfortable pushing that to the limit on a road course, straights and turns, then don't get the Z06.
I came from a 6 and while I wasn't "comfortable" at first the car never overwhelmed me. I am very comfortable with her now. She is my DD and I love her to pieces. Many people told me since I was getting a DD that I should stick with a 6 but after putting almost 10k miles on her I know I made the right choice. Even when you are not using the power you know it is there and downshifting to pass, especially on the 75mph speed limit by my house, puts a smile on my face everytime.
BTW- 2016 2SS manual.

Would you agree with the statement that it takes a little time to get use to but once you are it is more enjoyable than the base motor stingray?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
h422694

I personally would NOT want a Z06 for a daily driver. Gas, tires, insurance, and maintenance costs would be quite a bit higher than a Stingray.
We've already discussed the differences between a Stingray and a Z06 on another forum.
I believe a Stingray, especially a Z51 and now the Grand Sport, is in a class above your Camaro, so there would be a decent learning curve to become comfortable with the performance and handling characteristic differences.
The Z06 is far above a Stingray in both performance and handling so the learning curve from your Camaro to the Z06 is huge. As a DD, it would probably be quite a while before you could utilize the power that comes with the car.
Your comment "downshifting to pass, especially on the 75mph". In a Z06 at 75mph in 4th you would NOT have to downshift to pass a car. The car has more than 40% more HP and torque than your Camaro or a Stingray. As I stated earlier, it is a completely different class of machine.
My question would be - why would you even consider or want a Z06 as a DD ?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
ender2664
Account Suspended

"I believe a Stingray, especially a Z51 and now the Grand Sport, is in a class above your Camaro"
Some guys on the camaro board would disagree. I'm not one of them.

" In a Z06 at 75mph in 4th you would NOT have to downshift to pass a car. "
Why the hell would i be cruisng in 4th at 75!? I'd be in top gear.

"My question would be - why would you even consider or want a Z06 as a DD ?"
Cause I will NEVER buy a car and have it sit in my garage. If I buy a car it will be my DD no matter what car it is.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
Stingray, GS, Z06.... Any of these models have the potential to bite you if you exceed your skill level and do something stupid. Currently my Z51 provides all the power I need and then some, but in the future if opt to move up to a Z06 I'll just take the learning experience slow until I become comfortable with the higher power level.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
Simply goto the dealer and test drive a base stingray, Z51, GS, and Z06, and your heart will tell you what you want.

I have a '14 Z51, simply because there was no Z06 at the time. I was recently in an accident, and this week asked myself, "should I fix my Z51 or just buy a new Z06 at discount now?"

I found the Z51 to have a much better engine sound than Z06 (just my opinion, so don't yell at me). I thought the Z51 was throatier and deeper.

As far as performance. I found NO difference. Yes I know the supercharged Z06 has way more horsepower and torque than the Z51. I've experienced it on the track when a Z06 zooms by me on the straightaway. I KNOW the Z06 is better, but I didn't FEEL it.

My guess is that since I track my Z51, I drive it at 100% (on the track). There's no way I'm going to drive a Z06 anywhere near it's limits on a test drive on cold tires. But this test drive told me that on the street, I wouldn't really FEEL much different than a Z51. In either car, I'm zooming by everyone else. In other words, the Z51 was plenty of power for me on the street.

On the track is a different story. There is clearly a big difference between the Z06 and Z51 on the track. I have been beaten many times on a lap by a Z06. However, I have never been beaten in a SESSION by a Z06. What I'm saying is that they have an overheating problem and they usually limp off, and I've never seen a Z06 last an entire session in the heat, much less an entire day (if your Z06 never overheats good for you, so don't yell at me).

I realized that the Z06 gave ME no extra happiness on the street and would cause me frustration on the track (by overheating). (Your experience may vary so don't yell at me).

So after the test drive, I knew which car I wanted.

I suggest that you simply do the same. Go test drive all of the models, and you'll know what you want. Good luck!
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
You know, I never thought I'd ever think there was a possibility that a car would be too much but I think it's legit with the new Z06. Please don't kill me, I don't own one, I own a C6 ZR1, but for straight line speed they are very close so I feel like I'm in a similar situation and I tell you what, I just can't use what the ZR1 is capable of on the street. Even with traction control on, in 1st or 2nd gear the rear end will break loose full throttle. I had a ZL1 Camaro previously, and while it was fast I kinda felt like I could floor it and it wasn't too crazy. With the ZR1 I never feel like I can use what it has on the street. I'm sure the Z06 is similar, but again I don't own one so I'd defer to current owners. I think this is a legit question and for my next car it will be something I'll consider. To me the Grand Sport might be the perfect Corvette......fast, but not crazy, with the awesome style of the Z06.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
"I believe a Stingray, especially a Z51 and now the Grand Sport, is in a class above your Camaro"
Some guys on the camaro board would disagree. I'm not one of them.

" In a Z06 at 75mph in 4th you would NOT have to downshift to pass a car. "
Why the hell would i be cruisng in 4th at 75!? I'd be in top gear.

"My question would be - why would you even consider or want a Z06 as a DD ?"
Cause I will NEVER buy a car and have it sit in my garage. If I buy a car it will be my DD no matter what car it is.
I don't think you understand his question.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
h422694

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I don't think you understand his question.
The thread is getting a little confusing. There were three question and 3 answers. He posted one of his questions and immediately posted the answer he received. Same for 2nd & 3rd question. He has not requested any additional info so I think his questions were answered.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
You can never have too much HP...you end up running out of driver skills at a certain point....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
thrilled

Drives: 1LT
When I bought my C7 there wasn't A Z06.Since then I added A A&A supercharger.It
works more like A turbo.It don't come on as fast as the supercharger,but it does fine.
So not as quick off the line as the Z06 it catches up quickly.
thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote