Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Sturgill_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Engine oil opinions

I know there is a specific sub-forum relating to this topic but this page always has great advice. It's almost spring time there for it's time to wake up the beasts! What oil do you guys recommend? I usually use mobile 5w30. I've considered amsoil, rotella, mobil 5w40.. I've seen mixed reviews. Given the mods, I would like to go a little thicker. What do you big cam/FBO guys use?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Honestly, I’d contact TSP and see what they suggest for their products. They’ll give you the best answer...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Mobil. Ive ran a blower, 3 different cams and 2 sets of ported heads with it.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You might as well just go with the mobil 50/50 blend most do, but then again if you don't like taking a chance...I break in with driven racing br30 even for a cam swap, I drive on ls30 driven racing oil made full synth for a LS engine modified. I daily.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
Sturgill_SS

Is driven the brand? I would like to go a little thicker. Mine is more of a weekend warrior. I was thinking 5w40..
Old 03-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
Roader

Drives: Camaro
If you’ve been using mobile 1 why change? Back to the old saying, don’t fix what’s not broke

To add to this post, I’ve used Valvoline VR1 10w-30 past 3-4 years.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Sturgill_SS

I want to go thicker because it should run cooler in the summer temps. Plus may help lubricate and quiet down my sewing machine. I'm leaning toward Rotella T6. I've had great luck with it in my Camaro's in the past.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
The LS3 is designed with closer tolerances so a 5w30 is the recommended oil. Mobile 1 is a great and excellent oil but, I’ve used Driven’s LS30 before my Forged build. Now I’m using Driven’s DT40 — and I road raced both engine. In both cases GPI recommenced those to me based on my build details (Mobile 1 or LS30 for my L99 build, DT40 for my Forged build).

With the modern LS3 and tighter clearances, 5w30 is more than sufficient and Mobile 1 will get it done. A thicker oil may not run cooler as it will be less ‘liquid’ flow and can actually run hotter due to clearances - Bo has a ton of miles, has been FI, cam changes, and drag time on his (150k?) and his engine is rockin’ — looks new inside still... all on Mobile 1. He runs her hard too...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
I run 20w50 Royal Purple, I know everyone on the planet says its too thick for a LS motor. It made a big difference in the valve train noise, its as quiet as stock. I have had no issues using this oil to this day, it has been to 6800 rpm hundreds of times if not more. Oil temp did not rise like people said it would, its the same as the 5w30. I make sure the oil is up to temp before it goes high rpm and its fine. You might loose a little power but its minimal, I actually found some articles were the LS engines made a little more power with the thicker oil because the lifter was not collapsing as much so it had more duration and lift. Did tons of research and have never found any shred of evidence that this oil is too thick for a LS engine.

This subject can be very subjective and the manufactures want to use thin oil because the engines have to be made to run in freezing conditions and also get max fuel mileage out of them. When running the thin oil with a high pressure valve springs and aggressive acceleration cam lobes the lifters can bleed down a lot more and cause extra noise in the valve train. The 20w50 royal purple did an amazing job of quieting this down plus it has zinc in it for added wear protection. Just because it has a roller cam does not mean you wont benefit from zinc, it helps with the added wear and stress of a high performance valve train. You obviously only want to run thick oil when its warm out, I never drive the car unless its 50 degrees or hotter outside, I live in Cleveland.

I also run a standard volume high pressure melling 10295 pump.

Last edited by zz430camaro; 03-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Driven is the brand born from joe gibbs racing; its sold as part of the warranty BTW by those that sell engines like TSP; you don't use it to break in at least you don't get a warranty….

Of course what does NASCAR or all the guys who make your parts know? Initially a dude at a oil development place like Blake Driven or something like that made break in oil for Nascar engines and got them 200% more useful life making it from the break in stand to the track on a 200K $ engine is important, old timer here...or you could use some other weight, and BTW using another weight oil with the stock engine instantly voids your warranty so if you do never tell if stock and actually trying to use a dealer for crap. I run the high volume pump, high pressure not so good..... according to builders.

And yes it had the ZDDP, and MPAO, and is far far ahead of the curve, their bulletins and tech articles is what racers rely on to know about future changes to oil standards etc.....
Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Here’s my story but it’s not completely Camaro related. I love Amsoil but unless you become a dealer, or have one close, it can be PIA to find. I was a dealer once but reckoned after Mobil 1 (and others) became so easy to get, I’d make the switch. Rarely looked back.

I religiously did the Amsoil 12K, replace filter and run another 12K in a 1983 Bronco II. Suffice it to say, those vehicles and their 2.8L Mitsubishi (I think) motors weren’t the cats a$$. I drove that truck 150K zero issues on that 24K program. Amsoil if you can get it.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #12
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Out of all the motor oils out there that we used the best experience was using Valvoline 5W30 Advanced Full Synthetic motor oil and Valvoline 5W30 SynPower Full Synthetic motor oil. We used it in our 2005 Toyota Camry Le which had 402K miles on it when it was sold and still ran great also our current 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS with 149K on it and yes it does get driven hard quite often. GM will always recommend using Mobil 1 in their vehicles since they are contracted with them. Mobil 1 5W30 weight is what GM recommends using in the LSX engines but the truth is you can run any 5W30 Full Synthetic weight motor oil in your L99 or LS3 engine. If you review oil tests results after you had your oil analysis done that should explain to you just how great the motor oil you are using? Everyone’s experience with brand motor oils will be different.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #13
boostedlude

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
Have used Mobil 1 up until now. With a cam installed now, I am moving over to Driven LS30. And as mentioned above, used also by TSP. Talked to them last year at camarofest about it, highly recommended with engines head/cam combos.
boostedlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I wouldn't use a diesel oil, completely different additive package than gas... for specific reasons. 10w30 would be good for you, 5w30 in cold winter months.

With a higher lift cam and stiffer springs you want something with extra zinc and phos. Amsoil ZRod is real good if you were looking at that brand. Most the major brands have a performance choice with extra zinc/phos.

Gas performance oils are aimed at wear protection. Diesel oils are aimed at very high detergents to deal with the soot. Polar opposites.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote