The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Kobra_Klutch

Drives: Mountain Bike
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A 392!!!!!

Might be what the game has been missing.

V/r
Klutch
Kobra_Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Same test facility that the 6th gen unveiling photos and videos were taken at.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Looks great especially in the grey/black package. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of improvement in the handling as it still looks to have smaller than needed rubber under the car. Stickier rubber and better brakes should help a bit. It is a nice alternative in the same pricing as the 2SS and GT Premium though.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/new-201...ol-done-right/
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
Kobra_Klutch

I like it. Dodge has gone to it's parts bin, like Chevy has, on this one and has targeted the customers who want a car that looks as good as a Hellcat but without the price and the Super Charger; along with the T/A heritage tag and black Cuda hood. I love the looks of the Challenger the best of the 3 pony cars; this car rocks. I think it will address some of the needs of people wanting a more user friendly muscle car. Now that they've added the wider wheels, to include the wider tires, we can easily go wider on the tires now without having to buy new wheels. I really like this version...
Old 08-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
I want one.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
So an appearance package and the same items already available on some Challengers. Only thing nice is the fact you can get the SRT brakes, louder exhaust, and what sounds like SRT size wheels without paying for SRT price. But no 3 mode dampeners and no real suspension pieces. Sounds like what the Scat Pack cars should have came with from the start. Mixed bag if you ask me and not true to it's T/A roots.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
This, the scat pack and SRT 392 models are pretty close to each other.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #8
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
So an appearance package and the same items already available on some Challengers. Only thing nice is the fact you can get the SRT brakes, louder exhaust, and what sounds like SRT size wheels without paying for SRT price. But no 3 mode dampeners and no real suspension pieces. Sounds like what the Scat Pack cars should have came with from the start. Mixed bag if you ask me and not true to it's T/A roots.
Not true to it's roots at all. Should have been more like the 1LE instead of a appearance package. But it does look nice.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 AM   #9
Kobra_Klutch

More information on the Challenger T/A and Charger Daytona

Tim Kuniskis, Head of Passenger Cars, Dodge, further explains Dodge's position on the modern muscle car and how they are engineering them for the customers they believe are buying a Challenger or Charger.

And here's a link to the press release of the new models by Chrysler Fiat:
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...id=17777&mid=1

I like what they're doing and they make no apologies in doing so. I only posted this on this site because I've read many of the concerns on why the current Camaro is slumping in sales. Meanwhile the old Challenger continues to be successful. And we often talk about marketing on this site or the lack thereof and Dodge puts a lot into its marketing campaign for their brand of vehicles.

If you have the time I would check out the video link and or read the press release; there's more to the improvements than meets the eye. And it looks like they're also doing what Chevy is doing and using its parts bin to the fullest. This new T/A appeals to me because of the wider wheels & tires, bigger brakes, lack of a bumble bee anywhere on the car, price, the choice between a manual or auto, and other subtle differences. This may open the door for me to look back at the Challenger because they've addressed some of the things I wouldn't accept. I don't plan on tracking any new muscle car that I'll own and the roads nearest me are primarily straight and mundane so having a supreme handling vehicle isn't a priority for me; your mileage may vary.

V/r
Klutch
Old 08-17-2016, 01:33 AM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Dodge really gets it. Love the green retro T/A. The unveil video was good. I couldn't figure out how to link it with my tablet. No wonder their market share continues to go up. Those are great values in awesome real world muscle cars. Maybe I'll park a Challenger beside my ZL1 instead of trading it on a new ZL1.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #11
Kobra_Klutch

I've been waiting on the 1LE but I have a few reservations; manual only, lack of blind spot monitoring, and the fact that "I" had big problems seeing out of the car when I test drove a 2SS a few months ago. I know I would have to get use to it but as a person who's never owned a 5th or 6th Gen the outward visibility was very unsettling for my tastes.
I still love what the new 1LE is though, I have a tough decision to make between the 2017 Camaro 1LE and the 2017 Challenger T/A 392; good times indeed.

I truly believe that the Challenger will address my driving needs more than the 1LE; even though I know the 1LE would annihilate the Challenger on a road course and through canyon/winding roads but I wouldn't attempt to push a car to its limits while driving through either of those types of roads anyway.

Last edited by Kobra_Klutch; 08-17-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:26 AM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra_Klutch View Post
I've been waiting on the 1LE but I have a few reservations; manual only, lack of blind spot monitoring, and the fact that "I" had big problems seeing out of the car when I test drove a 2SS a few months ago. I know I would have to get use to it but as a person who's never owned a 5th or 6th Gen the outward visibility was very unsettling for my tastes.
I still love what the new 1LE though, I have a touch decision to make between the 2017 Camaro 1LE and the 2017 Challenger T/A 392; good times indeed.

I truly believe that the Challenger will address my driving needs more than the 1LE; even though I know the 1LE would annihilate the Challenger on a road course and through canyon/winding roads but I wouldn't attempt to push a car to its limits while driving through either of those types of roads anyway.
Just like the guy said in the reveal, the Challenger and Charger are built to use in the real world in daily driving. My buddy has a 392 Yellow Jacket. It is a very nice driver and also very under appreciated as a perforner. I've see it kick ass in person on the drag strip. They just take someone who knows how to drive to launch them.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #13
Kobra_Klutch

It's funny there are some really upset SRT 392/Scatpack owners who don't like the idea of the base 5.7 getting the same visual treatments of their cars. I say that because many people on here have similar issues with the V6/1LE. I like the name T/A over ScatPack and the differences in the packages. I can run a slightly wider tire on the newer 9.5 rims that sport 275s stock. But I also like how badass the SS/1LE looks.

I agree with you Motorhead the Challenger is under-appreciated; big time. But they get all the looks when they roll by--menacing.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
This, the scat pack and SRT 392 models are pretty close to each other.
The Scat Pack is an SRT8 on an R/T trim level, thus reducing the price by around $8-10k. A Dodge dealer near me has a 2016 on the showroom floor for ~$41k. Dodge hit a homerun with the Scat Pack. That price is killer!

I'm a diehard GM guy first and foremost; however, I've said it before and I'll say it again...it is a great time to be a "car guy"! Competition breeds success!!! The BIG 3 are pushing each other hard. I love it! These Challenger T/A's look great and they're priced very competitively

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote