Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #85
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The LSA was used because the LS9 was too expensive. The LT4 is already in the CTS-V, so it's not reserved for the Z06.
But that does not necessarily mean we will see it in its current form in the Camaro. This is all speculation.

It might and it might even be likely. But it is not for certain yet.

I am hoping so, yes. The CTS-V has 640 HP so that bodes well for the Camaro if it gets it also.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #86
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
There are a lot of ways GM can go with Camaro, LT4 and Z/28 but they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I believe the 5th Gen Z/28 was a success and fulfilled the goals that GM performance had in mind. It's a halo car for Camaro and Chevrolet and that's not usually judged on sales. Although before the final 5th Gen Z/28 rolls off the line I think sales will be as expected.

GM can bring the Z/28 more in line just above 1LE has been and making it kind of the GT350R to showcase a more focused track weapon with carbon fiber bits and a more emphasis on weight loss and management and aero. Someone mentioned a slightly more powerful LT1 that could be shared with maybe a C7 Grand Sport is a very good idea and it Would fulfill a area that I think more enthusiasts now want; a more reasonably priced Z/28.

This can leave the LT4 for the ZL1 as expected to be the halo top HP grand touring master that it has been with 5th Gen with Automatic and convertible options. 640-650hp in a lighter package than the 5Th Gen will be quite the performer.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #87
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I got 20 bucks says Yall are wrong and you will see the twin turbo in the z28 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #88
rmyers

Quote:
The 302 was not available in any other car because no other car needed it. The 302 was built for a specific reason that only applied to the Z/28.

The ATS-V has a TTV6 because it is going after the Germans which are going to all small displacement, turbo engines. The Camaro is not so there is no reason to put the TTV6 in a Camaro.

So just because it was not needed in any other car doesn't make the engine any less desirable. Your question was how do I draw a correlation and I thought I did a pretty fair job of putting forward s plausible correlation.

Is ok if you or anyone doesn't see it, none of you predicted an LS7 for the previous one either.

If Chevy decides to build a Zl1 and Z28 I bet good money they will not have the share the same motor.

2010 Chevrolet Suburban
Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #89
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
So just because it was not needed in any other car doesn't make the engine any less desirable. Your question was how do I draw a correlation and I thought I did a pretty fair job of putting forward s plausible correlation.

Is ok if you or anyone doesn't see it, none of you predicted an LS7 for the previous one either.

If Chevy decides to build a Zl1 and Z28 I bet good money they will not have the share the same motor.

Actually, a lot of people predicted the Ls7 for the Z/28. We had many discussions about it in the HouZe.

If the build a ZL1 and Z/28, they wouldn't share the LT4.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #90
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
Not sure where you got that idea from. Back in the early days, there were two main groups. The ones who wanted an LS9/LSA powered GT500 fighter, and the ones who wanted an LS7 powered track car. After the ZL1 came out, the track car group kinda splintered a little bit. Most still wanted an LS7, while others tossed around ideas like a twin turbo V6 or a tweaked LS3.

Look at this thread from about 4 years ago that predicted a Z/28 with an LS7 and a top notch conventional suspension (instead of mag-ride). Or this poll where nearly 80% of respondents went with an LS7 based Z/28 as their ideal 'racy' Camaro.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 AM   #91
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Actually, a lot of people predicted the Ls7 for the Z/28. We had many discussions about it in the HouZe.

If the build a ZL1 and Z/28, they wouldn't share the LT4.
I definitely agree.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #92
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Well, it appears the LS7 may still be in play for the 6th-gen Camaro. Motor Trend is reporting that the ATS-V+ will be powered by the LS7.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #93
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMike View Post
Well, it appears the LS7 may still be in play for the 6th-gen Camaro. Motor Trend is reporting that the ATS-V+ will be powered by the LS7.
That definitely is interesting and leads me to think that it very well may still be in the next Z/28 if GM doesn't do something with an amped up N/A LT1.

However, I think it is more likely to still use the LS7 rather than have a higher HP version of the LT1 in a Camaro but not in the C7 (unless it would get the newer HP version of the LT1 at the same time).
Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #94
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMike View Post
I find it extremely unlikely that an ATS-V+ will use an LS7. Its a great engine, but I can think of 4 scenarios that make more sense off the top of my head.
  • An even higher boost TTV6 with 500 or more hp
  • Something from a brand new DOHC V8 engine family thats exclusive to Cadillac
  • A tweaked LT1 in the upper 400/low 500 hp range
  • Some new large displacement, high revving gen V replacement to the LS7.
Of those, only the last 2 would make much sense for a Camaro. But the first two make the most sense for an ATS-V+, given the direction that the brand seems to be heading.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #95
Raven87
C'mon- really?

The LT1's Torque is already very near that of the LS7, I think about 10 ft/lbs or so even though it gives up 50 HP. If GM were to bump the LT1 up to around 485-500 HP, the performance should be equal or better than the LS7 in the lighter platform plus at a much lower cost.

It will be interesting to see but the MT article seemed pretty definite that the LS7 was going into the ATS-V. Time will tell.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #96
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
It is interesting reading everyones crystal ball predictions. I have strong convictions in some areas and wild ass guesses in others. The LT4 is used in the Z06 and CTS-V and most likely will be used in the ZL1. Whether they give it a bump in HP over the CTS-V like they did last time is a guess. The next option is the Z28 or 1LE. I certainly foresee a Camaro over the SS with a designated track purpose but totally unclear how it will roll out. A twin turbo V6 1LE or a massaged 490HP LT1 with CC brakes? The twin turbo is already being built and has been certified. The new higher HP LT1 has not been shown yet and might be a figment of my imagination. I would like to see a V8 Z28 in the 500 HP range with a $55,000 price tag but my crystal ball remains cloudy on this one.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #97
rmyers

Two LT4 Z cars?

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1505_cad...ls7_power.html

I would buy the ls7 powered 6th gen regardless what they call it!

2010 Chevrolet Suburban
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #98
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
My prediction: It's going to be an interesting year.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote