The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 11-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
shamrock

Drives: 2014 Laguna Blue
Heavy vibrations around 2200 RPM

Recently I have been getting a strong low frequency vibration and noise starting at 2000 rpm and ending around 2800 RPM. It happens in any gear and even in neutral standing still. Anybody else experiencing this? (6500 miles, 2014 6AT)
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I have not, but get it to your dealer right away. As you're experiencing the vibration in neutral, it is very likely a problem with the engine. There have been some reported issues with a small number of balancers failing, and this sounds like it could be. If left unchecked, the engine could end up with serious damage. The other possibility I can think of is a torque tube failure. I'm not sure if it still rotates while the car is in neutral but again damage up and down the drivetrain will likely result if not repaired. Better safe than sorry - have the car checked asap!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
shamrock

The front bearing in the torque tube failed. Full torque tube replacement is underway. This will be my third one in seven months.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
C7-XTC

Drives: c4 c5 c6 c7
Shamrock, this is your 3rd torque tube replacement???
a similar issue happened to me 3 months ago, noise while idling and had the torque tube replaced.
THIS WEEK, the car DIED after accelerating from a stop sign - DEAD in the middle of the intersection!!! NO power, NOTHING! cell phone was behind the up/down screen-stuck in the car! NO onstar! used the lever release on the floor to get the car door to open! Got lots of help from people googling over the car - they called the chevy dealer and got it towed(stuck in park-dragged it up on the flatbed tow). A master fuse blew, but they are still trying to diagnose what killed all power!! --- I have seen posts here where the torque drive issue caused the MAIN CRANK to go "a hair" out of alignment - causing starting/running issues... a NEW 6.2 might be the solution?!?!?!
C7-XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Wow, 3rd failure in 7 months? Shamrock, I would ask the dealer to look into possibly other issues causing the failures. You're the only one I know of who has had torque tube failure after the first replacement. It almost sounds like the dealer isn't doing the install correctly, or is using sub-standard parts. I would also get hold of Chevrolet Customer Service directly and let them know what's going on. Your situation is far from normal and I suspect more is happening than just torque tube failures.

As a final thought, you may want check into your state's Lemon Law. That may give you additional leverage when discussing things with the dealer and GM. Consult an attorney, they may have better insight on the law's details.

My heart goes out to you. Little is worse than having a hard-earned dream give you a lot of headaches. Good luck!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
shamrock

Actually this will be my third torque tube, so two failures. The first was at 2000 miles and sounded like marbles rattling around at idle. Failure was in the u-joint rubber coupling at the rear, a known and common problem. Torque tube replaced. The second was at 6500 miles and was a heavy vibration at 2200 rpm. That was a front bearing failure in the assembly. Torque tube being replaced today. I looked over the problem with the mechanic. He will check to see if alignment to the engine is off causing my vehicle to eat torque tubes, but the failures were very different. I have complained to Chevy and will pursue lemon law if it fails again. They are replacing a lot of torque tubes at my dealer.

(Attached is the picture of the failed bearing from today on the engine side of the torque tube. It should be flush with the housing and not have metal shavings around it. It is displaced back about 1/2 inch. You can see a groove it cut about halfway down. Ignore the white packing foam.).
Attached Images

Last edited by shamrock; 11-26-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Updated with photo