Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
LS7 engine swap

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I would just post this thread here.

Has anyone gone about doing an LS7 engine swap on here? Converting it to wet-sump and everything such as the one shown in the article below?
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...wap/index.html

Even for those who haven't, what are your opinions? The LS7 is an attractive engine with everything that it can do and the way it has been built. Being that it practically weighs the same as an LS3 it's an amazing power adder while maintaining almost stock weight and remaining NA leaving room for future improvement.

Another concern if interested in doing this, whether to do an LS7 engine swap or an LSX 427 engine swap. After some research I feel that if you want to go boosted then the LSX is the way to go with it's 2,500 hp rating however the higher reving LS7 is an amazing engine in itself.

Opinions?
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
One of the guys in our club has done it....but what he has is a LSX 468 which is an LS7. on the bottle, it makes 1025 hp.....and high 9's in the quarter...its a BEAST!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
The oil system in the LS7 makes it difficult. You'll have to mount the external oil tank somewhere and run the lines. The LS7 crank is longer, so you would have to used the Corvette Z06 accessory drive and components.

I used just the LS7 block and heads with a Callies LS rotating assembly. The LS3 oil pan, dampner, and accessories bolted right up. There is no hole for the oil dip stick tube, so you'll need to drill a hole for it.

I you want to go with boost the LSX block is the way to go and it's cheaper than the LS7 block.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
RichieRichZ06

Drives: 2006 Z06, 2015 Z06, 2014 Silverado
Unless you have an LS7 laying around collecting dust, it will be cheaper to build your LS3 into a 427. At least you can forge everything while you're at it. If you're planning on moddding the LS7, you will have to build the bottom end up so a stock LS7 is not your best bet anyways.
RichieRichZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
pgviper

So what it looks like that price wise, it's probably better to simply build up an ls3 or if your in to boost your engine, go with the lsx.

Also, realistically, the project is easier by just using the ls7 block and the rest from an ls3.

Thanks foe the responses everyone, I'm a long way from hVing to decide what my build is going to be but eventually I'm going to have to choose.

My dad has a completely built 454 bored to 465 in his 67 ss and the thing is an animal. I just want something to try to get to his level since the only thing that would outdo him is an lsx454 which is some serious dough lol.

I have to admit, opening your hood and showing off an ls7 would be pretty sick. I'm all about naturally aspirated so I don't think I would ever go the lsx route
Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
When I was at Camaro5fest the LS7 they had on display was on sale for 14k. If you want something totally unique and got the coin to do it, why not?
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
One of the guys in our club has done it....but what he has is a LSX 468 which is an LS7. on the bottle, it makes 1025 hp.....and high 9's in the quarter...its a BEAST!!
Link?
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
You dont have to go with massive cubed LSx motors to get high hp. We are building a nice little LSx 408 now that will be over 1000hp. To be honest, unless you are building a dedicated race car, there is no need to even hit those levels.

The LS7 is a very expensive motor to do - just do a nice LSx 376 or 408 and I am sure you will achieve your goals.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Link?
Sawyer.....the best thing I can suggest, would be to find and pick up a copy of the new Camaro Now magizine, the copy that came out the first part of May. They did a muti-page article article with picts and specs of his car.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
pgviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
You dont have to go with massive cubed LSx motors to get high hp. We are building a nice little LSx 408 now that will be over 1000hp. To be honest, unless you are building a dedicated race car, there is no need to even hit those levels.

The LS7 is a very expensive motor to do - just do a nice LSx 376 or 408 and I am sure you will achieve your goals.

Thank's for the great advice. Yea, he has a dedicated race car, it's built using the same chassis and design as the Big Red Camaro only his is with a 67 instead of a 69.

I overlooked those as options so I will def start researching.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Thank's for the great advice. Yea, he has a dedicated race car, it's built using the same chassis and design as the Big Red Camaro only his is with a 67 instead of a 69.

I overlooked those as options so I will def start researching.
See my link. I'm currently doing the lsx376.. Yes it's an iron block, but ready for the 5-7 pounds of boost i'll be doing when the motor is paid.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I would just post this thread here.

Has anyone gone about doing an LS7 engine swap on here? Converting it to wet-sump and everything such as the one shown in the article below?
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...wap/index.html

Even for those who haven't, what are your opinions? The LS7 is an attractive engine with everything that it can do and the way it has been built. Being that it practically weighs the same as an LS3 it's an amazing power adder while maintaining almost stock weight and remaining NA leaving room for future improvement.

Another concern if interested in doing this, whether to do an LS7 engine swap or an LSX 427 engine swap. After some research I feel that if you want to go boosted then the LSX is the way to go with it's 2,500 hp rating however the higher reving LS7 is an amazing engine in itself.

Opinions?

Couple things.. rpms have nothing to do with the engine size..

the LS7 block uses different sleeves than all the others and they aren't the greatest. The LS3 you have can be configured as a 427 and would be less money and a stronger motor.

Block costs are $1450 for the LS3 and $2750 for the LS7 and again its lesser of a starting point from where I stand. I didn't use it in my personal build and I could have easily enough, actually would have saved a few hundred as well. But its not the greatest candidate.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
So what it looks like that price wise, it's probably better to simply build up an ls3 or if your in to boost your engine, go with the lsx.

Also, realistically, the project is easier by just using the ls7 block and the rest from an ls3.

Thanks foe the responses everyone, I'm a long way from hVing to decide what my build is going to be but eventually I'm going to have to choose.

My dad has a completely built 454 bored to 465 in his 67 ss and the thing is an animal. I just want something to try to get to his level since the only thing that would outdo him is an lsx454 which is some serious dough lol.

I have to admit, opening your hood and showing off an ls7 would be pretty sick. I'm all about naturally aspirated so I don't think I would ever go the lsx route
We have a 457 that would eat your dads old bbc 454 for lunch, . we use your LS3 block to so its a sleeper... if you want to look at it that way...

1000 hp from a 408...LOL, not without FI or n2o

We have a n/a 468 making 670 rwhp on 91 octane pump gas... things can be done.. you just need to know how
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey cc-

I'm actually thinking about Having a 454 lsx built. Would an iron or aluminum block be more beneficial? I know there's weight differences. I was considering having a 454 built and selling the stock ls3 off. Would it be beneficial to buy new heads etc or should i use the ls3 parts? Also, could I use whatever cam I desire or would this larger motor require a different cam? Looking to handle 900-1000hp at maximum capacity once force, but out of the gate only looking for 5-600. What kind of power numbers would I see? Roughly, how much does one of these cost? I've gathered the block, crank, pistons etc can be had for roughly 7-8k, but how much for a fully built motor, heads cam and all?
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote